Which Receiver to get

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xraytech

I hope this is the right forum to post in. I am looking at the small Sansui QRX-300 or the Pioneer QX-949. I know the Pioneer is larger and has more decoding options, not to mention more power. But, I don't really need a lot of power. The unit will not be in a large room. I have 4 mid-size speaker, 2 old pioneer speakers and 2 mid-size Advent speakers. I was just interested in anyone's opinion as to whicj one would be the better investment once serviced and or restored. Thanks for the input.
Tom

Hi Xraytech. I am also an x-ray tech, welcome to the forum. I have never used either of those, but am under the general impression that the Sansui stuff has the best decoders. The Pioneer having CD-4 is a huge plus, but I would want confirmation that it is a good decoder before I went in that direction. Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Hi Xraytech. I am also an x-ray tech, welcome to the forum. I have never used either of those, but am under the general impression that the Sansui stuff has the best decoders. The Pioneer having CD-4 is a huge plus, but I would want confirmation that it is a good decoder before I went in that direction. Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

I agree. Thanks

One downside to Pioneer quad receivers is that they have very mediocre SQ decoders. Even their stand-alone QD-210 SQ decoder was pretty much useless. Your choice of receiver should be driven by the LPs you plan to listen to, and there are a lot of SQ LPs out there. CD-4 is a good system, but it can be a real pain if you don't have the right turntable, cartridge and cabling. The Sansui QS system was likely the best, but only their later receivers had the best QS decoders.

I'm a tech also.
read this thread I wrote many years ago.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...24-What-kind-of-Legacy-quad-gear-should-I-get

The Sansui has the better ability to synthesize stereo to quad if that is what you are looking for but the power is very low.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/qrx-3000.shtml

The Pioneer has a lot more power but the decoders are weak but has more functionality. The cool thing about the 949 is the quad scope!!!

A modern HTR might be better as the old gear usually has issues.

I hope this is the right forum to post in. I am looking at the small Sansui QRX-300 or the Pioneer QX-949. I know the Pioneer is larger and has more decoding options, not to mention more power. But, I don't really need a lot of power. The unit will not be in a large room. I have 4 mid-size speaker, 2 old pioneer speakers and 2 mid-size Advent speakers. I was just interested in anyone's opinion as to whicj one would be the better investment once serviced and or restored. Thanks for the input.
Tom

Hi. Xraytech

I have a Sansui QRX-3000 its no power house but in a small room it`ll be great if you have a lot of stereo LP`s or CD`s the QS synth mode is the best, over something like Dolby pro logic II this is my opinion.
Bill...

One downside to Pioneer quad receivers is that they have very mediocre SQ decoders. Even their stand-alone QD-210 SQ decoder was pretty much useless. Your choice of receiver should be driven by the LPs you plan to listen to, and there are a lot of SQ LPs out there. CD-4 is a good system, but it can be a real pain if you don't have the right turntable, cartridge and cabling. The Sansui QS system was likely the best, but only their later receivers had the best QS decoders.

Thanks for the info. Most of my albums are sq but I recently picked up the Allman Brothers Band live at Fillmore East. It was in good condition and only $10. That's the only one in cd-4 I have. Not necessarily a good reason to get the Pioneer. Thanks again.

It's too bad you are so far away. I have this Sony for sale, but it is too big and heavy to ship.
I was using it when my Sansui QRX-7001 was being recapped. Great SQ decoder though.

Attachments

• P1020197.jpg
    P1020197.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 83
Back