Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roxy Music - ROXY MUSIC [DTS DVD]

Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the debut self-titled album from Roxy Music.
    This 45th anniversary box set contains a 5.1 surround remix mixed by Steven Wilson.

Surround yourself with the best.

Coming soon in 2018: “Fleetwood Mac” (1975 album); “Heavy Horses” (Jethro Tull); "Brave" (Marillion) "Fish Out Of Water" (Chris Squire) and “ROXY MUSIC”!

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Roxy Music - ROXY MUSIC [DTS DVD-V]

Music and 5.1 mix apart, what a beautiful object!

One thing: are they ashamed of it having a 5.1 mix?

Looks like the packaging for XBoxes that say "Microsoft" in very small print.

Another good thing: it lists Graham Simpson as the main bass player. When they added Virginia Plain to the album they also listed only Rick Kenton, picture and all.
    Pablo Roufogalis L.
    (The Ambiance Pariah)

3. Thanks Snood, rtbluray, 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, rtbluray, timbre4, 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

I've listened to it 3 times now (only in DTS, yet to listen to the Dolby) and felt I'm ready to vote, I gave it a nine 'cos it has to be really special to warrant 10.
    As you might expect from Steven Wilson it's an excellent surround mix, I especially liked the sounds wizzing around on The Bob (Medley) and the sax and guitars in the rears on other tracks, the package includes a huge book telling how the band formed and went on to record the album, lyrics, photos and lots of other stuff.
    It is too expensive though, I paid £130, I'm lucky enough to be able to be this frivolous, but many aren't!

Audio select screen

Track playing screen

Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree so far with every comment here.

So what did I notice? How strong the bass / drum section of Roxy was! Sort of got smothered by the Ferry - Eno tug of attention, and of course Manzanera, as lead guitarist, had a prominent spot that yet fell under Eno. In the videos you see how Eno synthesized Phil to the point he was muddled -- must have been weird playing while someone fiddled with your dials Not that I'll argue with an Eno treatment: he's the synth king. Too bad the videos have him on the edges; even in his glam glitter robe, there really was not enough attention on him.

2 HB was when the mix started to catch me in its spell, and the Bob medley was a mindf*k. And again because of the nicely separated bass and drums.

If I gave it a 9 . . . well, it was better than the FM and Beatles mixes. We knew it would be, but man, what a proud 9!

I agree with rtbluray -- FOR YOUR PLEASURE needs to come next! The pricing thing was a cockup. Hopefully they'll learn for the next box sets (of any band) that come out.

[edit: All said, if compared with the AVALON surround, this mix gets pushed down to an "8," still. There's something so SMOOTH about that mix, that matches the music. No skin on SW. It was just a great combo of music and mix.]

300 Club - QQ All Star Which_One_Is_Pink's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Have had "For Your Pleasure thru Siren" forever but never owned this one for some reason , although quite familiar with several songs, the obvious culprits, Ladytron and Virginia Plain so this is my first time hearing the album as a whole. Have listened to the Wilson 5.1 in DTS 96/24 and it sounds fantastic, stellar mix and SQ very crankable! Great to become familiar with some new old Roxy, a very Roxy 9 for me .
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."
    --- Unknown ---

"Never argue with an idiot, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you on experience!"
    --- Unknown ---

"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
    --- Ralph Waldo Emerson ---

"Music make me happy, multichannel music make me very happy!"
    --- Me : ) ---

Level
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Roxy Music - ROXY MUSIC [DTS DVD]

Oh my goodness - I remember buying this when it first came out. Those days were all about Zeppelin, Sabbath, Wishbone, Yes, Tull, Groundhogs, Ten Years After, etc. - and then these guys came along. What?! We hard rock guys were avoiding all things glam, even Bowie, for goodness sake. And now these weirdos turn up - and we all fell in love with them instantly. I still don't get why we gave them the pass we didn't give to the other "make-up and lipstick" artists. Or bands with a saxophonist? Or songs about 'romance' (yeughh!!). Or singing that is so mannered? Or crazy synthesizer freaks - what was an "Eno" anyway? And yet fall in love we did! Was it the amazing rock guitar stylings, the terrific drumming, the spacy soundscapes, or just the sheer wonderful ridiculousness of it all? What on earth was that "Bob MedLey" all about anyway?

This first Roxy album is still my favorite - the shock of the new (or at least different!)... And how wonderful to hear it in magnificent 5.1. So playful and entertaining, so immersive, so involving. I gave it a 9 - as the sound still doesn't have quite the bottom end to thump it along, and a pity about DVD-Video too. But I'm having so much fun - isn't it great to hear Manzanera soloing all the way through Re-Make, only to strum a few chords when it is his turn to take the solo break later in the song? And to hear the wonderful Eno soundscape inviting us to into Ladytron. And all that crazy swirling stuff in Bob. And the screeching guitar/synthesizer on Chance Meeting. Never mind the rollicking delight to be had with dear old Virginia Plain...

The extras and packaging are also tremendous. It is such a treat to hear all that BBC material - in many ways those versions of the songs are even better than the takes that made the album.

By the way, when my Dad saw the cover, he asked me why I was bringing such inappropriate images into our home. But he stole a second look anyway. Ha!

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star skherbeck's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entrySocial1 year registered
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a first timer to this album, and I absolutely love it! Musically it reminds me of a cross between early 70's Bowie (the song structures and arrangements) and Devo's "Are We Not Men?" (the quirky vocals and lyrics and synths/sounds)... VERY different from Avalon (the other Roxy album I've heard), but in a good way... this rocks (and it's trippy)! Someone else mentioned how good the rhythm section sounds and I couldn't agree more; the fidelity of this mix is really "phat*"! The surround mix is discrete, with mostly keys, sax, and background vocals in the rear channels, but there are all kinds of effects moving around the room intermittently throughout... very enjoyable. In terms of the set, I like what's included, as far as "Super Deluxe Editions" go... you get the essentials (several CDs of every permutation of the original album you could imagine and a surround DVD), but instead of some trinkets, vinyl, or reproductions of posters and tickets, you get a beautiful hard bound book (similar to the "Sgt Pepper" box set). I'll give this a 9 (I want to give it a 10, but I'm trying to stay true to my original voting standards from when I first discovered the QQ... lately, everything is sounding sooo good to me!)

*phat - (slang) terrific; superb. C20: from Black slang, a corruption of fat. Word Origin and History for phat. adj. hip-hop slang, "great, excellent," 1992, originating perhaps in the late 1980s and meaning at first "sexiness in a woman."

...yeah, the fidelity is definitely terrific, superb, great, excellent, and sexy.
    "One Quad to rule them all, One Quad to find them; One Quad to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."
    "The Quad is what gives a Sound System its power. It's a sound field created by four pulsing speakers that surrounds us and penetrates us."

9. Thanks timbre4, 360 SOUND, Snood, peterzach, rtbluray thanked for this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star rusinurbe's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Thought long and hard but it gets a nine from me.
    The mix is superb the music fantastic the extras are well there and great in their historical context.

The point is dropped because at that price it should have been a full fat dvda or have included a lossy blu ray. Or both as most of the King Crimson boxes have.

Cost per did £25 in this box cost per disc in a king Crimson box £2.50 someone's taking the P155
    Salutations Fletch

11. Thanks peterzach, rtbluray, Snood thanked for this post
    Likes peterzach, rtbluray, Snood, himey liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

How great is this recording? I would’ve unflingly paid full-rate to get it. It’s immersive and startilingly insistent. Play me...louder...LOUDER....LOUDER

13. Thanks Snood, rtbluray thanked for this post
    Likes kap'n krunch, Snood, himey, rtbluray liked this post