Onkyo replacement receiver program ending July 1 2018 for some receivers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you happen to know which models are covered under this program, boondocks? (Wondering if I should be worried about my old TX-SR605...)

Also: their website makes it out to be only "for Onkyo USA customers who are currently experiencing the loss of audio or network capabilities on their receiver." What if one isn't currently experiencing such problems--but doesn't want to run the risk that they might develop sometime after July 1? Do you think they'll replace the potentially faulty components, regardless?

Probably not new news, just a reminder;

Link here:https://care.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

I've had my NX-TR609 in for the HDMI board replacement once, so I'm going to swap it in and get the best replacement model soon as I can crank up $199.

I don't have an Onkyo - but I'm curious what is the back story on this? Do they have a "series" that has had notorious problems with certain things? If yes, what are those problems and which series are we talking about here?

I don't have an Onkyo - but I'm curious what is the back story on this? Do they have a "series" that has had notorious problems with certain things? If yes, what are those problems and which series are we talking about here?

yes. Pioneer had (has) the same problem. On the Pioneer side you had to wait until you literally had an Error message on your receivers display before they would replace.

Certain HDMI circuit boards were manufactured "incorrectly" (read cheaply) and failed. Even though the failure was "within spec" it was still ridiculous in most peoples eyes that they would have to buy a new receiver every couple of years just because one part failed the earliest, which was too early in most peoples eyes.

Onkyo didn't think the failure was too early because they are a cheap blood-sucking electronics company just like all the rest but the outcry from the public got to them and forced them to do this program out of "goodwill" to keep their loyal customers happy or too many people would abandon ship.

Crappy way to do business all around, welcome to the new age.

If only Warner/Rhino would do this with the new Fleetwood Mac album. lol

yes. Pioneer had (has) the same problem.

Certain HDMI circuit boards were manufactured "incorrectly" (read cheaply) and failed. Even though the failure was within spec it was still ridiculous in most peoples eyes that they would have to buy a new receiver every couple of years just because one part failed the earliest, which was too early in most peoples eyes.

Onkyo didn't think the failure was too early because they are a cheap blood-sucking electronics company just like all the rest but the outcry from the public got to them and forced them to do this program out of "goodwill" to keep their loyal customers happy or too many people would abandon ship.

Crappy way to do business all around, welcome to the new age.

There were like 5 caps I think that were faulty. there is a youtube vid on replacing them, or a repair person can do it cheap enough anyway. Still Onkyo/Integra gives the most for the money you spend on an AVR plus the fact they did fix it is pretty responsible.

...plus the fact they did fix it is pretty responsible.

This problem has been ongoing for the last 8 years. It was only until NOW they they acquiesced and "did the right thing" because they were afraid of losing market share.

Not responsible, ethical or right at all. Should have dealt with the problem in the first place.

BTW, any armchair electricians out there, DON'T go around replacing Caps yourself unless you know what you're doing, you could get hurt, this means about 99% of the population.

I had heard rumors about some problems with certain Onkyo. That said, seems to me that Onkyo often manages to get a huge vote of confidence from Sound and Vision every once in a while with certain higher end AVR's.

I just take "caveat emptor" for granted these days, salsdali, and I'm pleasantly surprised when I find someone--like Oppo, for instance--who still follows the old-fashioned model of customer service.

That said, my Onkyo TX-SR605--a low-end AVR that was very reasonably priced when I bought it--served me well without failing for 10 years. (It's now my "secondary" AVR, in a system I cobbled together for my office.) I'd still like to know whether it's susceptible to this problem, though, and if so, whether I should try to take advantage of the repair/replacement program before it expires.

I just take "caveat emptor" for granted these days, salsdali, and I'm pleasantly surprised when I find someone--like Oppo, for instance--who still follows the old-fashioned model of customer service.

That said, my Onkyo TX-SR605--a low-end AVR that was very reasonably priced when I bought it--served me well without failing for 10 years. (It's now my "secondary" AVR, in a system I cobbled together for my office.) I'd still like to know whether it's susceptible to this problem, though, and if so, whether I should try to take advantage of the repair/replacement program before it expires.

but the fix is so simple! there is a tutorial on youtube tells you what you need. pull the board. and bring it in to a shop pretty sure it's like 5 resistors, they replace then with bigger one's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgDEtSug2o

Do you happen to know which models are covered under this program, boondocks? (Wondering if I should be worried about my old TX-SR605...)

Also: their website makes it out to be only "for Onkyo USA customers who are currently experiencing the loss of audio or network capabilities on their receiver." What if one isn't currently experiencing such problems--but doesn't want to run the risk that they might develop sometime after July 1? Do you think they'll replace the potentially faulty components, regardless?
Ah, no, I don't. But one only has to enter the serial number after answering a few questions online and it will state whether your unit is elgible or not. In fact there may be different programs for different models, although all I saw was option to repair current unit or select among two others (don't remember both but I settled on the one that would cost me more to get, the TX-NR656 which will cost me $199 + shipping as I understand it.

As for future problems, If it's one of the models known to have problems, I would just go for the swap.

Also I saw mention (here) of replacing caps on bad HDMI boards...this is what I was going to do, and still might, as I didn't see anything (YET!) about sending in my old unit.

Just to close the loop: I was too lazy to extract my Onkyo TX-SR605 from its tight cabinet so as to check the serial number (and consequently, its eligibility for this program). So I called Onkyo, and the customer service agent I spoke with cheerfully checked for me. The upshot: no, that particular model number wasn't included in the informal "recall." But, she assured me, if I ever did develop such a problem (with sound disappearing from one or more HDMI outputs, for example)--even after July 1--I should certainly call back, and Onkyo would make it right.

Last edited:
I sent my Integra DTR-6.9 off to this guy in Phoenix AZ who advertises on Ebay and it came back working flawlessly.

He only works on Onkyo TX-SR606, HT-R667, HT-R960, HT-S9100, TX-SR706*, or an Integra DTR-5.9, or DTR-6.9*, Audio/Video Receivers.

If you're dealing with one of the models he accepts I would pay him rather than Onkyo, since Onkyo replaces the caps with the same under-speced parts, which his listing and my experience suggest will fail again. He charges $75 for many models, twice that for a couple of the heavier models (*), plus you pay to ship it to Phoenix.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=150664829211&globalID=EBAY-US

The receiver was one I originally bought on eBay that was described as having had its hdmi issues fixed by Onkyo; for a while it was fine but it gradually went through the 5 stages of failure described in the listing linked to above. Now all is well, so far.

I have a second DTR 6.9 in my closet that I'm tempted to get fixed as well, but not for $150 plus shipping. Thought this might interest one of you guys.

I had to do this a few months ago. It was speedy and painless. Kudos for them to doing the right thing, even though it shouldn't have happened, certainly not for 8 years.

I sent my Integra DTR-6.9 off to this guy in Phoenix AZ who advertises on Ebay and it came back working flawlessly.

He only works on Onkyo TX-SR606, HT-R667, HT-R960, HT-S9100, TX-SR706*, or an Integra DTR-5.9, or DTR-6.9*, Audio/Video Receivers.

If you're dealing with one of the models he accepts I would pay him rather than Onkyo, since Onkyo replaces the caps with the same under-speced parts, which his listing and my experience suggest will fail again. He charges $75 for many models, twice that for a couple of the heavier models (*), plus you pay to ship it to Phoenix.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=150664829211&globalID=EBAY-US

The receiver was one I originally bought on eBay that was described as having had its hdmi issues fixed by Onkyo; for a while it was fine but it gradually went through the 5 stages of failure described in the listing linked to above. Now all is well, so far.

I have a second DTR 6.9 in my closet that I'm tempted to get fixed as well, but not for $150 plus shipping. Thought this might interest one of you guys.

Pull the HDMI board, look on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgDEtSug2o
then get a electronics guy to swap out the resisters Lots of elec. repair won't do out of brand work. They are legally mandated to do just a certain brand.

I had the HDMI failure symptoms with my Onkyo TX-NR906 about 5 years ago. I called Onkyo, they shipped me a box for transport and a pre-paid shipping label, I sent it to them via UPS and in about 1 1/2 weeks it was back to me, working perfectly. I thought it was great customer service all the way around. (btw, sold that unit and now have Integra DTR 50.3)

Probably not new news, just a reminder;

Link here:https://care.onkyousa.com/na/003_2012.php?country=USA

I've had my NX-TR609 in for the HDMI board replacement once, so I'm going to swap it in and get the best replacement model soon as I can crank up $199.

I had the HDMI failure symptoms with my Onkyo TX-NR906 about 5 years ago. I called Onkyo, they shipped me a box for transport and a pre-paid shipping label, I sent it to them via UPS and in about 1 1/2 weeks it was back to me, working perfectly. I thought it was great customer service all the way around. (btw, sold that unit and now have Integra DTR 50.3)
I'm glad to hear they did you right. When my Onkyo was still under warranty, I shipped it from Florida all the way to Syracuse, NY to a qualified Onkyo repair facility on my dime, where I assume they replaced the hdmi board and shipped back to me.
Hoping to do the swap for the newer model in a week or so.

My TX-NR709 failed early January 2018, luckily still in time to be fixed for free (European conditions applied for me). I got it back in a week, repaired and well. So far so good. Now hoping the problem won't returned as some people apparently had such luck.

P.S. on networked models, you can find the serial number in the web interface.

My TX-NR709 failed early January 2018, luckily still in time to be fixed for free (European conditions applied for me). I got it back in a week, repaired and well. So far so good. Now hoping the problem won't returned as some people apparently had such luck.

P.S. on networked models, you can find the serial number in the web interface.
Cool. Good luck!

I was swapping PM's with another member of AVSForum, and when I explained the problems with my TX-NR609 reciever, he seemed to think that replacing the caps instead of a particular IC could be a mistake (although replacing a few caps on the HDMI board is cheap enough and not hard for someone with desolder/solder skills I might add)
Actually one of the clues (to him) was that my problems started after I bought a 4K TV and started using the 4K upscaling as well as the video pass-through for my satellite receiver.
But I am NOT knowlegeable about these things even though I used to work on telecommunication circuit boards back in the stone age. lol.

Back