Best Buy Drops CDs on July 1st, LPs Get 2 More Years

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have to take a surround sound disc down there and check it out in the upscale speaker room!

I used to do that all the time...the annoying this is they keep the disc player remote behind the counter (so you have to get employee to help you), and the speaker wiring is so convoluted it's impossible to pair up matched speakers. They have this ridiculous touch screen unit set up to demo different speakers with different receivers. It'll do 5.1, but the fronts might be MartinLogan electrostatic towers and the rears could be Definitive towers.

Though if I recall the stereo layer of my Super Session SACD did sound quite impressive through those electrostatic towers. Also an old security strip in one of my super jewels triggered the alarm and they thought I stole it. As if they've sold anything in a super jewel since like 2007 :mad:@:

I’m pretty sure they’ve already eliminated CDs up here in Canada and the Bluray/DVD sections (which used to be pretty good albeit overpriced) have been gutted

When the first Best Buy opened near me, they had an awesome CD section with imports at reasonable prices. I too would spend lots of time there.

Same here. I lived too far from any Tower Records location and while the small independent stores in the area were nice, none of them were huge. Then Best Buy opened up a short walk away and I loved it. Lots of selection, interesting imports (the German "Hair", which I didn't realize at the time had Donna Summer!) and even an Iggy Pop bootleg.

Now I don't remember the last time I ever set foot in one.

Last edited:
I was in Costco yesterday and they had gotten rid of all physical media (except books). Sign of the times (not sure this is a global Costco thing).

The Costco's around here have no DVD's, BluRays, or CD's. They dropped CD's a while ago, but new release BluRay's were a staple there for years, especially the deluxe box sets around Christmas time. No more. They'd probably be better off selling Netflix Gift Cards! :yikes

It looks like the Best Buy plan to eliminate CDs is now in effect.

I was at the San Carlos, CA Best Buy yesterday and the "Movies and Music" section no longer had any CDs.
Instead, all of the remaining CDs had been moved to a bin in front of the store marked "$5.99 and under" (sale).

I also noticed that the size of the BluRay section (aka "Movies") has also been scaled back further.
Making me wonder how long Best Buy might be carrying movies on BluRay. The next to go?

Meanwhile, the section devoted to smart phones, tablets and accessories is healthy and growing.

I haven’t seen a CD at any Best Buy up here in Canada for at least 2 years, maybe 3.
Surprised to hear they still existed in the US.

Blu-ray and DVD were severely cut back at about the same time.

It looks like the Best Buy plan to eliminate CDs is now in effect.

I was at the San Carlos, CA Best Buy yesterday and the "Movies and Music" section no longer had any CDs.
Instead, all of the remaining CDs had been moved to a bin in front of the store marked "$5.99 and under" (sale).

I also noticed that the size of the BluRay section (aka "Movies") has also been scaled back further.
Making me wonder how long Best Buy might be carrying movies on BluRay. The next to go?

Meanwhile, the section devoted to smart phones, tablets and accessories is healthy and growing.
Last Christmas season, a manager at Best Buy told me that Movie Discs were the next to go. That’s probably why you’re starting to see a scaled down version in their isles. Also, he told me that movies weren’t the direction they wanted to continue in. Whatever that means. I think they’ll continue to sell on their Website for a time. Amazon may become the only retailer where anyone can purchase physical discs.

The way the industry has gone and now that purchasing 3D discs is almost gone, I could care less. I’ll stream movies and TV series.

Back