Device for Recording Discrete onto a Computer.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdevo1973

Is there some type of device that I can use so that I can record 4 discrete channels onto my laptop computer? I would love to take my Q8 tapes and my CD-4 records and preserve them that way. I can't seem to find anything that will allow for that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is there some type of device that I can use so that I can record 4 discrete channels onto my laptop computer? I would love to take my Q8 tapes and my CD-4 records and preserve them that way. I can't seem to find anything that will allow for that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Plenty of choices nowadays... looks for multichannel audio interfaces.

One example:
https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-6i6

Ok, so let's say I buy one of these quad audio interfaces and I successfully record the 4 discrete channels. Does the interface act like a 4 channel sound card to play the recording back?

Ok, so let's say I buy one of these quad audio interfaces and I successfully record the 4 discrete channels. Does the interface act like a 4 channel sound card to play the recording back?

yes

Depends on the ins and outs. Usually you have your interface set up to get the tracks into the laptop, and then you dont want to be reconfiguring everything just to listen from your laptop. It would be better to have a different output such as HDMI to route the surround sound playback to the capable amplifier. Less hassle, more enjoyment. There are economical adapters to go from HDMI to 5.1 Analog too, if your receiver does not handle HDMI.

This has been a very informative discussion. Thanks to all.

I've seen a few 4 in/4 out interfaces mentioned here, but does anyone have any suggestions on a 6 in-6 out multi-channel interface?

..Know there's a Motu 10 in/10 out for around $550, but was looking for something slightly lower in cost.

This has been a very informative discussion. Thanks to all.

I've seen a few 4 in/4 out interfaces mentioned here, but does anyone have any suggestions on a 6 in-6 out multi-channel interface?

..Know there's a Motu 10 in/10 out for around $550, but was looking for something slightly lower in cost.

I may not be the most knowledgeable person in the forum but I've been looking for a multi ch unit and as far as cost/quality goes, you are better off saving your money and getting a MOTU, which is the cheapest of the good ones (Apogee-used by Steven Wilson- and Focusrite are Industry Standard and WAY more expensive!).. trust me I got a MOTU 828 mk II unit back in 2005(!!!),and although one of the from mic inputs developed a noise which could be muted, it was used for more than 12 years.. and it probably is still being used in back in Madrid...

Remember, good hardware is worth spending a bit more money and it lasts a long time...

Here's what I use for multichannel transcription and for recording my band live, if the latter has any relevence for you:

https://www.mixonline.com/technology/tascam-dr-680-portable-recorder-review-369481

It's been around a while (review is from 2010, when it listed for $1400). They seem to go for c.$240 on eBay. There's a newer model with improved mic preamps, which don't matter if you're recording line-level sources like the multichannel analog outs of an SACD player to pick a random example. The mic preamps in mine sound great to me, but for the target audience of sound-for-video the upgrade might matter. All 6 analog inputs accept trs or ts 1/4" plugs (balanced or unbalanced respectively).

Major advantage of this approach- you don't tie up your computer dubbing stuff in real time. You can record 6 channels at 96/24, and the results can be 6 mono files, 3 stereo files, or one 6-channel file. There's also the ability to record in stereo at 192/24 or to record 4 mp3 files simultaneously. Lower sample rates are available too.

It records onto SD cards, so after recording pop the card out, put it into your computer's card reader and go to town. Drag the files to your HD and thence to your audio app of choice. Or leave the card in the dr-680, connect the 6 rca outs to your receiver and hit play.

I agree with the reviewer that the menu system is a little wacky but for recording line-level sources you hardly dip into the menus at all. I have never experienced the error msg the reviewer mentions and would tend to blame the fact that in 2010 some of this SD stuff was still new and standards were still settling down. There have also been os updates since then, one way or another seems a non-issue at this point. I've used 16gb and 32gb cards, 6 hires tracks at once does chew through storage pretty fast.

On my antique macbookpro I have an app called 'Burn' that will take the 6-chan files and burn them to a dvd-audio disc, but one might need to limit sample rate to get something playable without using MLP compression. This also assumes that when recording you connect your inputs and outputs in accordance with standard channel assignments for playable results. There's plenty of advice on QQ on diy dvda so... I'll (finally) stop.

Has anyone had any experience with this model? Seems loaded for $250
70% gave a 5 star rating while 9% gave a single star. On par or better scores than many of the Motu
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MZQEZ2/ref=pe_1861300_272707430_em_1p_2_ti
I haven't used that model but I've been thrilled with any Focusrite product I have used.

I suspect you will have to get a Firewire card if you don't have one. I'm pretty sure the optical only does two channels at 24/96 (but I think you will find that with pretty much any unit).

Back