Berlin Philharmonic's "John Adams Edition" in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
I just learned about the Berliner Philharmoniker's "John Adams Edition" 4-CD/2-BD box, and I'm very much tempted by this handsome-looking set, even though I already have recordings (by other orchestras) of some of the works on SACD. But--as is sometimes the case lately with these sorts of sets--I can't get a clear sense of which parts of it actually feature surround sound.

The information on the orchestra's own site is ambiguous: at first blush it seems to suggest that in the physical edition, only the Bonus Documentary is in "5.1 Surround DTS-HD"--though one hopes that tag applies to the entirety of both Blu-Rays, which are otherwise described as containing "Concert Recordings [of the works on the 4 CDs, I assume] in High Definition Video." The physical edition also includes a download code for 24-bit (audio?) files of "the entire album" in resolutions up to 192 kHz, though it's not specified whether any of those files are surround. Meanwhile, the download-only edition makes plain that the files included are stereo and 5.1, both in 24/96 and 24/192--but those files must be audio-only (with no video), yes?

Presto Classical is no help; neither is ArkivMusic. MusicWeb International reveals that on the physical set, the 5.1 DTS-HD audio soundtracks of the Blu-Ray concert performances are 24/48, but doesn't say whether the "High Resolution Audio files for download" are also 5.1.

Does anyone have the inside story? (Or better yet: has anyone bought this set and can testify firsthand? Failing that: can anyone speak to the quality of BP's Sibelius and/or Beethoven sets, especially with regard to the surround mix?)

Back