Is Pizza A World Dish

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YUK! Love Costco's 100% beef hot dog smothered in diced onions and deli mustard with a large soft drink for a buck fifty [including a refill]

As for their Pizza..........(n)

THIS week's Costco 'coupon' special:
For those who love their coffee BOLD, 120 Keurig K~Cups of Pacific BOLD for $34.95 [that's 29 cents per cup]:banana::banana:

Yes that hot dog is my fav usual, hence my shame for my odd choice today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm from SoCal. Everything here is low fat, low everything and I hate that.

My favorite was Gino's East when I visited The Windy City.

What about Snood?..c'mon bro...your fans await...give up the snood pizza..c'mon man...give it up...if you do I will help you unlock the Jon Urban code:couch

And turn QQForum into PPForum?+

+PIZZA/PASTAFORUM

Man o' Man....this thread is more fun than the Food Channel!:banana::banana:

I'm kind of surprised that nobody..except HomerJAU... mentioned making their own pizza...I was hoping for some ideas...it's easy to buy the pizza dough at most supermarkets now...and then the fun starts:cool:

Saturday night is pizza and movie night. I just started the dough. 2 1/2 cups bread flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 2 tsp yeast, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 cup water, 2 tsp olive oil. Make in the kitchenaid standing mixer. Let rise.

I use a pizza stone, a gas oven at 500F, and i par bake the dough before toppings.

What about Snood?..c'mon bro...your fans await...give up the snood pizza..c'mon man...give it up...if you do I will help you unlock the Jon Urban code:couch

Snood reply.......

hmmmm tempting

First off let Snood lay some Snood knowledge on yall

Most people no realize that the Origins of Pizza began in Romania - thing was people did no eat the pizza. They would make the pizza (yes fully made with sauces and all) then smear it on the outside and inside walls of their houses to ward off evil spirits. This would happen 4 times a year. This is where the folklore of garlic being able to ward off vampires came from. Annnnnnnnnnnnd You guesssssed it, this is also the origin of the modern day "Textured Walls and Ceilings". Snood smart:spot

In fact, in some of the eaaaaaaaaaaaaaarly silent black and white vampire movies (Nosferatu to be exact) you can see the villagers doing just that. Snood knows his Vampire stuff. So in essence, it was not the garlic that warded off Vampires, it was the pizza. :mad:@:

Of course they do not do that anymore, but one thing does carry over......tooooooo Christmas of all things. As most people in the world that celebrate Christmas, they have a Christmas tree - the only difference is that instead of an angel or star on top of the tree.....In Romania still today from what Snood has researched online:xp: they put a shellacked Pizza on top of their Christmas trees. As shellacking food will preserve it..........when the tree does come down the pizza is unshellacked reheated and eaten in celebration of the New Year. :bounce17

Do not get Snood started on where Chinese food originated from........hint...... it not CHINA!!!! :howl

Saturday night is pizza and movie night. I just started the dough. 2 1/2 cups bread flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 2 tsp yeast, 2 tsp kosher salt, 1 cup water, 2 tsp olive oil. Make in the kitchenaid standing mixer. Let rise.

I use a pizza stone, a gas oven at 500F, and i par bake the dough before toppings.

So the gas at 500 PLUS the stone gives you enough temperature...very interesting...have you ever tried the pizza steel instead of the stone?...how long does it take from start(getting all the prep work done) to finish?

Snood reply.......

hmmmm tempting

First off let Snood lay some Snood knowledge on yall

Most people no realize that the Origins of Pizza began in Romania - thing was people did no eat the pizza. They would make the pizza (yes fully made with sauces and all) then smear it on the outside and inside walls of their houses to ward off evil spirits. This would happen 4 times a year. This is where the folklore of garlic being able to ward off vampires came from. Annnnnnnnnnnnd You guesssssed it, this is also the origin of the modern day "Textured Walls and Ceilings". Snood smart:spot

In fact, in some of the eaaaaaaaaaaaaaarly silent black and white vampire movies (Nosferatu to be exact) you can see the villagers doing just that. Snood knows his Vampire stuff. So in essence, it was not the garlic that warded off Vampires, it was the pizza. :mad:@:

Of course they do not do that anymore, but one thing does carry over......tooooooo Christmas of all things. As most people in the world that celebrate Christmas, they have a Christmas tree - the only difference is that instead of an angel or star on top of the tree.....In Romania still today from what Snood has researched online:xp: they put a shellacked Pizza on top of their Christmas trees. As shellacking food will preserve it..........when the tree does come down the pizza is unshellacked reheated and eaten in celebration of the New Year. :bounce17

Do not get Snood started on where Chinese food originated from........hint...... it not CHINA!!!! :howl

Wow...garlic...vampires...and shellacked pizza...sounds like a mini series:worthy

I originate from the wilds of Scotland, where our favourite dishes are deep fried anything!..............even Scottish Deep-Fried Pizza (though I have never seen one!)

http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?language=2&Display=112&resolution=high

:yikes..I don't know whether you get this tv show where you live..but..that sort of thing is what you might see on it...deep fried pizza(I can feel my arteries clog up just thinking about that)...the show is called Diners-Drive-Ins and Dives...I watch it a lot...check it out

When I'm in cheap mode saving up for surround box sets I make pizzas using burrito crusts from the supermarket. Can't get any thinner than that. I know, not great but when your'e in a rush it's better then nothing.

So the gas at 500 PLUS the stone gives you enough temperature...very interesting...have you ever tried the pizza steel instead of the stone?...how long does it take from start(getting all the prep work done) to finish?

The oven at 500 plus the stone plus the par-baking helps. I've tried not pre-baking the dough right before adding sauce and toppings, it doesn't work. Without the par baking the toppings will burn before the dough is cooked. Also the sauce turns the raw dough to glue. My oven just isn't hot enough.

The pizza we make is very tasty, particularly with the cornmeal to give an added crunch to the dough. It is miles better than frozen and takeout, but it still doesn't compete with a really good pizza place where the pizza arrives at your table right from the oven.

I have not tried a pizza steel. I expended considerable effort getting the pizza stone seasoned by cooking on it as often as possible, and now it has a nice dark patina and is as smooth and nonstick as a teflon pan.

In terms of how long. Making the dough takes about ten minutes plus a few hours to rise. The standing mixer saves loads and loads of time, otherwise you'd be doing this by hand. The dough freezes ok, but I prefer making it the day before or day of. It can rest in the fridge overnight. Prep for the ingredients is about ten more minutes, cooking it takes about fifteen minutes. Eating it takes about fifteen seconds.

One of our neighbors built an outdoor pizza oven out of clay and brick on a steel tabletop. Dried apple wood trimmed from my gravenstein apple tree provided enough heat to cure the clay. They have pizza parties regularly, and I suspect the temperate is well north of 500 degrees. Pizza and crust cook completely in about five minutes when that thing is really hot. The pizza cooked in that oven is so wonderful, you might cry after eating it. It also doesn't turn the house into a freaking sauna.

The oven at 500 plus the stone plus the par-baking helps. I've tried not pre-baking the dough right before adding sauce and toppings, it doesn't work. Without the par baking the toppings will burn before the dough is cooked. Also the sauce turns the raw dough to glue. My oven just isn't hot enough.

The pizza we make is very tasty, particularly with the cornmeal to give an added crunch to the dough. It is miles better than frozen and takeout, but it still doesn't compete with a really good pizza place where the pizza arrives at your table right from the oven.

I have not tried a pizza steel. I expended considerable effort getting the pizza stone seasoned by cooking on it as often as possible, and now it has a nice dark patina and is as smooth and nonstick as a teflon pan.

In terms of how long. Making the dough takes about ten minutes plus a few hours to rise. The standing mixer saves loads and loads of time, otherwise you'd be doing this by hand. The dough freezes ok, but I prefer making it the day before or day of. It can rest in the fridge overnight. Prep for the ingredients is about ten more minutes, cooking it takes about fifteen minutes. Eating it takes about fifteen seconds.

One of our neighbors built an outdoor pizza oven out of clay and brick on a steel tabletop. Dried apple wood trimmed from my gravenstein apple tree provided enough heat to cure the clay. They have pizza parties regularly, and I suspect the temperate is well north of 500 degrees. Pizza and crust cook completely in about five minutes when that thing is really hot. The pizza cooked in that oven is so wonderful, you might cry after eating it. It also doesn't turn the house into a freaking sauna.

Thank you so much(y) I got more information from your post than any source I have ever used:)

Drphibes, your friend's wood fired pizza oven likely gets in excess of 800-900 degrees depending on the size of fire\coals.
Apple wood is ideal for this.
I also agree with your pizza dough prep.
A day ahead is optimal but I generally don't think that far ahead and do a double rise.
I don't have a stand mixer but my Cusinart works just fine.

Back