Quad remote control compatibility

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyE

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Hello... I'm new here, so hopefully I did not just commite a faux pas, but I could not find the info I'm looking for by searching the site.

I just bought an Akai AS 980 receiver.... hope to get it home soon.

In the meantime, amongst my collection of audio stuff (lots) I got a Marantz 4415 (this is copy of my unit), note the wired remote next to it, a Marantz RC-4

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/4415.html

So, I noticed that Akai calls out for an RC-4 remote but I can't see any pictures of it.

QUESTION:

Does the Marantz RC-4 wired remote work with the Akai AS980 too?

I suppose I could try plug in it in when I get the Akai but IMHO that's usually a recipe for smoke and a nasty burnt smell.

A nice piece of kit. I wouldn't expect it to work, as each manufacturer would have had different wiring and different variable resistors.

Have a look at https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/as-980.shtml

Edit: You might be able to make your own.

Hello... I'm new here, so hopefully I did not just commite a faux pas, but I could not find the info I'm looking for by searching the site.

I just bought an Akai AS 980 receiver.... hope to get it home soon.

In the meantime, amongst my collection of audio stuff (lots) I got a Marantz 4415 (this is copy of my unit), note the wired remote next to it, a Marantz RC-4

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/4415.html

So, I noticed that Akai calls out for an RC-4 remote but I can't see any pictures of it.

QUESTION:

Does the Marantz RC-4 wired remote work with the Akai AS980 too?

I suppose I could try plug in it in when I get the Akai but IMHO that's usually a recipe for smoke and a nasty burnt smell.

A nice piece of kit. I wouldn't expect it to work, as each manufacturer would have had different wiring and different variable resistors.

Have a look at https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/akai/as-980.shtml

Edit: You might be able to make your own.

Hmm, I suppose making one should not be too hard.

The Marantz RC-4 is two linear pots perpendicular to each other and the "joystick" "rides" on two perpendicular sleds... then there is an additional slider at the bottom for overall volume. I don't want to take it apart but I guess I could put an ohmmeter across the dyn plug and measure.... it should be pretty easy to figure out the values of the tree pots. Maybe I'll see if I can find a true joystick. Making a three knob remote box is not exactly what I want to do.

I have smoked some awesome hardware in my career... well into the six figures, but that was at work. I tend not to like smoking my own hardware!

In the meantime I'll keep looking over at hifishark and see if it comes up.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would definitely suggest testing the pins on the remote first, and cross checking with receiver schematics. There was a post in the vintage quad equipment section, for instance, warning about plugging the wrong remote control into a Fosgate Tate even though it was the same manufacturer and looked correct, and the damage it can (or did) cause.

I would definitely suggest testing the pins on the remote first, and cross checking with receiver schematics. There was a post in the vintage quad equipment section, for instance, warning about plugging the wrong remote control into a Fosgate Tate even though it was the same manufacturer and looked correct, and the damage it can (or did) cause.

In this thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...80DB-980-quad-receivers-any-good-looks-pretty

They claim the Marantz wired remote will work too.

I just got the receiver.... this thing is the heaviest single piece of audio equipment (excluding speakers) I've ever had, and I've had a lot. It's bigger than my Marantz 2325, Sansui G7500 and Audio Research D70 MkII. I mean, it's sooooo big that I had to slide my DIY Class A FET mono amps aside to make room for this baby. It has buttons, lights, switches, meters.... like the movie said:

"Most big receivers go to 10, but when you just got to have that extra, this baby goes to 11!" :yikes

My wife, who's used to audio stuff all over the house, said: "WHAT did you buy???"..... She won't let me put my matching Akai 4ch reel to reel on it. I think she's OK with lots of High End boxes with a single light in the front panel in the living room... she's OK with the Magnepans in the living room but this is over the top. I LOVE IT.... Now, I have my eye on a Sansui....

This is what happens when I built the audio system for my son (including Maggies, CJ amp, NAD premp) and delivered it along with his bass guitar amps... Now I got room for MORE stuff. ;-)

Anyways, it looks like the Akai has the CD4, SQ/QS decoders built in. The Marantzes offered them as an option (I got the SQ1 in my 4415).

I'll post back with my findings. First I got to replace the lights, two of the back lights are off.

I didn't realize until just now when I looked it up, how much an Akai AS 980 looks like a Pioneer QX-9900. It was actually pretty shocking and unexpected.

I didn't realize until just now when I looked it up, how much an Akai AS 980 looks like a Pioneer QX-9900. It was actually pretty shocking and unexpected.

Yes, but the Akai has more buttons! And a 3rd tape deck.

As it is, these were huge receivers, likely did not fit a Japanese home. While the amp meters on the right were in the living room, the tuning meters to the left were in the kitchen. Perhaps that's why they did not sell so well, but I don't quite get why their resale prices are so low. I mean, this baby is something else.

Have you ever seen a 27" wide receiver? I'm 59 years old and until two days ago I had not!

Well, it's been a while... I had the 980 cleaned out and then disaster struck.

As I was putting it onto the back seat of the truck, I bumped the On/Off lever and I broke it. The tech couldn't find a suitable replacement so I had him solder it "always on"

Do you know where I might find the On/Off switch for a 980?

Anyone parting one of these for parts?

Email me if you know. Thanks.

Back