"Lord of the Rings" soundtrack reissues on Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Remember those "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack collections that were released on CD/DVDA-V last decade?
It looks like our good friends at Rhino Records are reissuing these collections as CD/Blu-Ray sets starting with "The Fellowship of the Ring" in March.
No other details at the moment except that the set will include 3 CDs (like the original set) and one Blu-ray Disc replacing the DVDA-V disc and here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Complete-Recordings/dp/B079PTDW74/

:)

Couldn't they fit all 3 Soundtracks on one Bluray?

I did get these cd\dvda sets used for around $60 a set.

As much as I love the movies have not given these more than a listen or 2.
These are epic soundtracks though.

The old CD/DVD-A sets always seem to command quite a price online (I've seen upwards of $200), so I guess this is good news. Love these soundtracks but I'm not a big fan of "concert hall" surround.

Argh! Didn’t see THAT coming... I just completed the trilogy last week spending quite some money. I guess I will try to unload on ebay as soon as possible. If the listing price is now 80 dollars it will come down for sure to 49 dollars during sale.

Cheers,
Andreas

More power to people who collect these - I have the set of The Two Towers (paid $8 for a scuffed up return copy from the J&R liquidation sale a few years back), but I've never listened to it beyond snippets. The movies showcase the soundtrack so effectively that it seems like a superior option to just watch the Extended Editions in 24/48 6.1 sound. The high price is a kicker.

But...kudos to Rhino for putting these back in print.

Edit to add: The special extended sets of these movies also have a lot of wonderful documentary material on the score. The Hobbit extended set also includes a charming documentary, I believe for the 2nd movie, about recording the score in New Zealand - 30-40 minutes long, complete with an extended Arthur Fiedler joke.

Remember those "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack collections that were released on CD/DVDA-V last decade?
It looks like our good friends at Rhino Records are reissuing these collections as CD/Blu-Ray sets starting with "The Fellowship of the Ring" in March.
No other details at the moment except that the set will include 3 CDs (like the original set) and one Blu-ray Disc replacing the DVDA-V disc and here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Complete-Recordings/dp/B079PTDW74/

And it looks like the description is taken from the dvd-a: "Advanced Resolution Surround"

I have all 3 of the CD/DVD-A sets and, to tell you the truth, they are still sealed. They look cool sitting all together in a row, but I've never opened or played them. Oh well.

As far as the BluRay reissues, I say "COOL!". Now how about Rhino going ahead and rereleasing every DVD-A title on BluRay. Well, maybe except this one:

WB Crash Boom.jpg

I have all three DVD~A/RBCD RING box sets and as commendable as it is for RHINO to re~release them on BD~A, the repetitive nature of these soundtracks are for rabid fans only. We are talking hours upon hours of themes and cues which would be better served investing in the movies themselves [also available as brilliant 3D extended versions].

As another poster mentioned, I would rather have RHINO invest the time releasing all those unreleased DVD~A 5.1 remixes languishing in their vaults.

Ah, yes... hours upon hours of my favorite themes and cues of all time:banana: ...I've heard rips of the DVD-A's and love every second of them, so I'll be purchasing these babies, rabid fan that I am:D
(Somebody's got to keep the Rhino re-issues coming, so I'll take 3 for the team;))

I have all 3 of the CD/DVD-A sets and, to tell you the truth, they are still sealed. They look cool sitting all together in a row, but I've never opened or played them. Oh well.

As far as the BluRay reissues, I say "COOL!". Now how about Rhino going ahead and rereleasing every DVD-A title on BluRay. Well, maybe except this one:

View attachment 32167

I suppose they don't do this much anymore, but I'd totally listen to an isolated score option to go with the visuals of the extended edition movies. But that's one less sale...

I think there's a sort of unfortunate tendency among soundtrack collectors to be completists. I've felt that way too at times, but in truth a well-arranged orchestral album suite is much more interesting for repeated listening than every single bit of music from the film, organized in sequence.

This goes all the way back to the beginning - Prokofiev's cantata based on his score to Alexander Nevsky is a more interesting musical experience than his complete score. Harrumph etc.

What I would totally buy, but was apparently never released, is a blu-ray of the Lord of the Rings Symphony that Howard Shore assembled and performed all over, along with visual accompaniment.

I suppose they don't do this much anymore, but I'd totally listen to an isolated score option to go with the visuals of the extended edition movies. But that's one less sale...

I think there's a sort of unfortunate tendency among soundtrack collectors to be completists. I've felt that way too at times, but in truth a well-arranged orchestral album suite is much more interesting for repeated listening than every single bit of music from the film, organized in sequence.

This goes all the way back to the beginning - Prokofiev's cantata based on his score to Alexander Nevsky is a more interesting musical experience than his complete score. Harrumph etc.

What I would totally buy, but was apparently never released, is a blu-ray of the Lord of the Rings Symphony that Howard Shore assembled and performed all over, along with visual accompaniment.

Ubertrout, though there IS much to admire regarding these scores for LOTR, the sheer amount of music which is seemingly endless becomes way too repetitive and when they say these are the COMPLETE scores, they ain't kidding.

I'm certainly a huge fan of film scores but minus the visuals and unless you're invested in reading a good book, wading through hours and hours of LOTR, the complete recordings, is a tedious exercise but bless those, like QQ poster skherbeck, who savor each and every note.....then Lordy, Lordy this RING'S for U!:banana:

And IF our adventuresome moderator/site owner Jon Urban did decide to crack open his 3 LOTR boxsets and drive cross country in his Accura playing all three DVD~As, he'd probably end up in Middle Earth....for a pit stop...and a whole lotta caffeine!:yikes https://quenya101.files.wordpress.c...s-arda-middle-earth-map-fantasy-1920x2560.jpg

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but I wish this was available as a "Super Deluxe Set" with the vinyl AND the surround blu-ray... because the red vinyl set is gorgeous (and I imagine "The Two Towers" will be green vinyl and "The Return of the King" blue vinyl. I want them, and I don't even have a record player!:mad:@:

lord.jpg

Back