• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Elvis quad on 8-Track and Reel WANTED

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas70

Looking for US, Canadian and Japanese Q8-Track Tapes.
Only in nice condition.

Also wanted: US Ree-To-Reel: "Aloha From Hawaii" in Mint-

Looking for US, Canadian and Japanese Q8-Track Tapes.
Only in nice condition.

Also wanted: US Ree-To-Reel: "Aloha From Hawaii" in Mint-

Good luck for the Japanese Q8... i've ever seen only one cart, one time, and never more - and i'm looking by nearly two decades. A lot rarer that the Japanese CD4, so prepare yourself for a big spending if you ever find someone that can sell his ones.

USA carts are rather common, there are 8 now on ebay. If you're in only for the sound, this is by far the less expensive option and you can get it all in a short time.
Canadian carts are rare.

Good luck for the Japanese Q8... i've ever seen only one cart, one time, and never more - and i'm looking by nearly two decades. A lot rarer that the Japanese CD4, so prepare yourself for a big spending if you ever find someone that can sell his ones.

USA carts are rather common, there are 8 now on ebay. If you're in only for the sound, this is by far the less expensive option and you can get it all in a short time.
Canadian carts are rare.

You´re right. I only know one Japanese quad 8-track tape and that´s "On Stage - February 1970". It is really strange that RCA Japan only realeased a few 8-Tracks and I think only one Reel-To-Reel in Stereo.

You´re right. I only know one Japanese quad 8-track tape and that´s "On Stage - February 1970". It is really strange that RCA Japan only realeased a few 8-Tracks and I think only one Reel-To-Reel in Stereo.

IMHO it has to do with two issues: geography and price.

1) Geography: despite all that, 8 track tapes were mainly a car music product; Japan isn't as big as USA, less incentive to drive on the car for some hours, public transportation more organized... so less market to sell product.
2) Price: while quad lp were among the 2200-2500 yen including quadraphonic cd4, 8 track were 2800-3000 yen, reel were on 5500-6000 yen. A bigger price for q8 and a perceived less fidelity.

The only japanese label that pushed a lot quad cart was JVC-Victor, but mainly for local market; never seen any serious CD4W-series lp on quad 8 track tape. THAT would had been fantastic (Motown!). Other labels released very few titles, always on the "big band orchestra intrumental cheezy" stuff.

Speaking on collector-frenzy, maybe the rarest Elvis quad is the 2LP "Aloha" with the "chicken on the sea" sticker and letter... but it seems that are a lot of fakes going the round. For sure the QR sounds better. Then there are the one-off oddities, such as record-club-quad edition, white RCA quad cart instead of red and so on. It all depends for what reason you're in for a thing, music or collection (or both):)

Back