Discrete vs. Discreet

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skherbeck

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
dis·crete - diˈskrēt - adjective - individually separate and distinct.
"speech sounds are produced as a continuous sound signal rather than discrete units"
synonyms: separate, distinct, individual, detached, unattached, disconnected, discontinuous, disjunct, disjoined

dis·creet - diˈskrēt - adjective - careful and circumspect in one's speech or actions, especially in order to avoid causing offense or to gain an advantage.
"we made some discreet inquiries"
synonyms: careful, circumspect, cautious, wary, chary, guarded;

(noticed these terms being used inter-changeably throughout old forum posts and though I'd clarify... please don't kill me:yikes)

"speech sounds are produced as a continuous sound signal rather than discrete units"
synonyms: separate, distinct, individual, detached, unattached, disconnected, discontinuous, disjunct, disjoined

dis·creet - diˈskrēt - adjective - careful and circumspect in one's speech or actions, especially in order to avoid causing offense or to gain an advantage.

(noticed these terms being used inter-changeably throughout old forum posts and though I'd clarify... please don't kill me:yikes)

OK, I'll play...

So, obviously it's not that people are knowingly using different terms...simply misspelling them. :)
I hate it when words are pronounced the same.....and have different meanings.

:banana:

[video=youtube;q_8amMzGAx4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8amMzGAx4[/video]

interestingly, some old Quads are described as being "Discreet Quadraphonic", rather than "Discrete Quadraphonic", including all of the UK PYE Q8 cartridges I've found so far.. and some interesting variations on Quadraphonic cropped up over the Quad years including many earlier WEA Q8s referring to it as "Quadriphonic"..! :ugham:

"Discreet", like this.. :yikes

QUExRTI.jpeg

interestingly, some old Quads are described as being "Discreet Quadraphonic", rather than "Discrete Quadraphonic", including all of the UK PYE Q8 cartridges I've found so far.. and some interesting variations on Quadraphonic cropped up over the Quad years including many earlier WEA Q8s referring to it as "Quadriphonic"..! :ugham:

Wow! Well, if it's on the cartridges, then I guess anything goes, lol:mad:@:

Frank Zappa didn't help the confusion when he named his record label DiscReet in 1973.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiscReet_Records

In his defense, he was making a pun, conflating new quad technology with arcane hipster jazz lingo that substituted "reet" for "right." :smokin
Well, all reet, Frankie.
Wish the vault meisters would release more of those Reet Discs in discrete quad.
It's only right.

I wonder if it could be a cultural thing. Like how the US spelling of the words "color" and "program" compare to the Canadian (and possibly British) spellings of "colour" and "programme".

Then there are the pronunciation things. Process and aluminum in the US are pronounced praaa-ses and a-lume-a-num, but in Canada and Britain its prO-ses and al-U-min-E-um.

I once had a boss who always mixed up "effect" and "affect". He always used to ask if he used the right one in reports he turned in.:confused:

I wonder if it could be a cultural thing. Like how the US spelling of the words "color" and "program" compare to the Canadian (and possibly British) spellings of "colour" and "programme".

Then there are the pronunciation things. Process and aluminum in the US are pronounced praaa-ses and a-lume-a-num, but in Canada and Britain its prO-ses and al-U-min-E-um.

I once had a boss who always mixed up "effect" and "affect". He always used to ask if he used the right one in reports he turned in.:confused:

LMAO! Ahem... I find myself getting them mixed up too. Not sure why as there are other "words" I notice others mixing up and I think they are easy. haha....

Naaaaaaaa, both words apply to our stuff:

dis·creet - diˈskrēt - adjective - careful and circumspect in one's mixing into surround, especially in order to avoid causing offense...
synonyms: upmix, ambient mix; big stereo; conservative use of surrounds; "true" to the stereo mix, "true" to the mono mix

conservative use of surrounds; "true" to the stereo mix, "true" to the mono mix[/I]

Yes, those releases are also discrete (separate channel playback, not matrixed from the Surround Sound mix to 2 Stereo channels).
They're just not "immersive" or "middle of the band" Surround Sound mixes. :)

Back