How to unwarp a warped LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd recommend AGAINST using ANY HEAT!
Pressure will do fine....I've fixed many an LP by putting them .. UNDERNEATH THE RECORDS!!!

Wait a few weeks and .. voila!!!

I'll agree with just using Pressure & Time (and not the Rival Son's version :mad:@:). I got Steve Hillage's "L" LP and it ended up badly warped somehow, so in the student house I lived in there was a really heavy wardrobe, a few weeks under that and all perfectly OK!

I'd recommend AGAINST using ANY HEAT!
Pressure will do fine....I've fixed many an LP by putting them .. UNDERNEATH THE RECORDS!!!

Wait a few weeks and .. voila!!!

I'm going with the Kap'n on this one as well. Slow pressure works a lot of time. However I've had that rare LP that comes to me with a quick "flip" that makes the stylus lose contact...had a copy of CSN&Y 4 way street where the first LP had a bad little deformity that literally only affected the first full rotation and then settled down.
But hey, whatever works for ya I'm all for.

I actually have done the heat method and it worked perfectly on a severely warped lp that was irreplaceable. In between glass 195 degrees for about 3 minutes. That lp was so severely warped that i had done the simple pressure method, (which admittedly is much safer,) for about 6 months with no results. You must be very careful however because i tried this on another occasion and i think i left it in the oven for maybe 30 seconds to long. It flattened the lp nicely but it wowed some of the outside grooves to where a channel dropped out and/or an audible scraping sound was introduced. I think i would absolutely go for the pressure method first. If trying heat i would prob dial down to the 175 degrees as suggested. But this does indeed work.

I've had some success with the cold pressure method. Not 100% success, but made the records playable. Which kind of got me thinking about making some kind of press. At least that way you toss 'em in the press, and walk away. None of this people coming home and seeing a leaning tower of audio equipment stacked on the pool table. :howl
Applying heat makes me a bit squeemish but I suppose I've got nothing to lose. I mean, the few warped records I have are worthless in their current condition. Applying heat and hoping for the best couldn't make them any worse.

You can use the book that comes in the Roxy Music Deluxe Edition. That thing will flatten anything including your wallet.

I actually have done the heat method and it worked perfectly on a severely warped lp that was irreplaceable. In between glass 195 degrees for about 3 minutes. That lp was so severely warped that i had done the simple pressure method, (which admittedly is much safer,) for about 6 months with no results. You must be very careful however because i tried this on another occasion and i think i left it in the oven for maybe 30 seconds to long. It flattened the lp nicely but it wowed some of the outside grooves to where a channel dropped out and/or an audible scraping sound was introduced. I think i would absolutely go for the pressure method first. If trying heat i would prob dial down to the 175 degrees as suggested. But this does indeed work.

I have warped thrift store record that's been sitting between two pieces of heavy glass for more than a year now and is still warped.

I'm considering putting the rack into the clothes dryer and putting everything onto the rack. I figure it can't get as hot in there as in an oven, though I have no idea how hot it gets.

Rather than a dryer or oven, I've head of people using a heating pad to give a gentle, controlled heat. Or even putting the glass out in the sun for a couple hours before dusk, then waiting until late in the night or early in the morning to remove it so that everything cools before it gets disturbed.

I've tried a micro welding torch, but then the LP just oozes off the turntable.

But seriously folks, I'd be very careful with heat and you'd better get all the crud out of the grooves, or you might burn in some noise.

I've tried a micro welding torch, but then the LP just oozes off the turntable.

But seriously folks, I'd be very careful with heat and you'd better get all the crud out of the grooves, or you might burn in some noise.

Great point. You must have a clean record before you do anything.

81klEGVfBML._SL1500_.jpg

Hi. markshan

I think a lot of people here would frown on this concept LP, there were perfect looking Quad LP`s made into a clock as well...:(.....

Unfortunately such things have happened... I once saw one made from an SQ copy of REO Speedwagon's Lost In A Dream and it made me feel sick.

Update:

IMG_4930.JPG

:(

We have a "candy dish" on our coffee table. A girlfriend gave me The Windows of the World LP - Dionne Warwick. What kind of tracking force do you need to play this thing?!? Perhaps a Lirpa VDRS: http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/166823/audio-magazine-april-1978-prof-lirpa-vdrs-full-review

Even on a hugely scratched record, this all seems pretty disrespectful to the Goddess of Vinyl. Better watch out if she's angered!

Cool!! Thank you , goddess of vinyl!!!

Back