New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vividly remember when I bought an Onkyo (I was coming off a pretty nice Denon) and the sound nearly horrified me. It was SO different than Denon I simply hated it. I worked and worked at it and never could get the sound I liked. Boxed it up and returned it for another Denon. I've not turned back since.

Thing is - the higher end Onkyo's always get stellar ratings in Sound/Vision....so I know folks like them. Just not sure why I had trouble with the sound.

OK - part of my issue as likely my Klipsch. They are pretty much in your face loud and can be described as "slightly bright". Couple that with the doctors office lack of warmth of Onkyo and it was a recipe for disaster.

For me, the combination of Klipsch and Denon is a match in heaven. :phones

You and I have talked about this before..on another forum..far..far..away in a different galaxy...I used to say the same things and all the Onkyo lovers would be upset...IMO...Onkyo seems to use the check list method of manufacturing...that's why they score so high with reviewers....they go down the list of "wants" and give you those..and especially in the power area...more "bang for the buck"...but to me it just seems to lack the warmth...it reminded me of when the first cds arrived..they sounded so clinical..

I purchased this from Best Buy during their Boxing Day sale to replace my problematic Onkyo. They had it for Cdn $1299. I notice a huge improvement with the same speakers, not overly bright in my opinion. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Great Job GOS. Makes me happy to see folks still buy an AVR these days. Most people I now have a bluetooth speaker for their phone and that's it. Neat, sweet, petite.

If I could put on my OldFartHat here for a second or two, when I was growing up everyone had a "stereo" in their houses, and whoever had the biggest and baddest receiver was THE MAN. Even in college, when money was tight, having good tunes was a sure fire way to make friends at get girls! ;)

But alas, those days are gone, but the music lives on. Anyway, sorry for the detour, but hey, CRANK THAT THING UP!!!

:music:music:music:music:music . :music

Ohhh, Jon.. who in their right mind (and as QQ member!!) would NOT have an AVR receiver????
Maybe tech heads with a sound card and 5 (or 6..or 7..)powered speakers ..and still; they would not count!

heck, even Pros that I know have an AVR receiver besides their techie setup!

but, hey, thanks for the post, it's always great to see you pop up! ;)

Ohhh, Jon.. who in their right mind (and as QQ member!!) would NOT have an AVR receiver????
Maybe tech heads with a sound card and 5 (or 6..or 7..)powered speakers ..and still; they would not count!

but, hey, thanks for the post, it's always great to see you pop ;)

Now, now...we know Jon is old, no need to call him Pop. lmao

Hey GOS, if you use any legacy QUAD equipment with your setup, make sure that new receiver has either 5.1 or 7.1 discreet inputs for you quad gear. Most new receivers have abandoned discreet inputs.

OK, in true GOS fashion, I must...give shipping updates. Original estimate was between March 2-6th. Coming from Oregon....now it says March 1-2

Woo effing Hoo! Maybe I'll have it Friday...and oh what a weekend it will be. (among other things Clint)

:yikes:cool::banana::chill

but, hey, thanks for the post, it's always great to see you pop up! ;)
I dont have an AVR :) It is PC to dac to power amp for me. But I understand why people use an AVR and I probably would too in certain situations.

Last edited:
Nicely done, Gene. Your unit is one of those discussed in this thread:

Auro 3D Receiver thread

I look forward to hearing more reviews of any viable choices. I VERY much look forward to immersing myself in some Auro 3D, hoping some time around Christmas. I'll be upgrading my AVR around then.
I have around a dozen Auro 3D albums as of yet. Speakers are already wired and mounted, ready to go. Heights above my fronts, angled at the sweet spot.

Another weak moment.....just now I placed an order for Klipsch Atmos speakers that will be placed on top of my Klipsch front towers. Woo Hoo! They will arrive Saturday...

atmos.JPG

Another weak moment.....just now I placed an order for Klipsch Atmos speakers that will be placed on top of my Klipsch front towers. Woo Hoo! They will arrive Saturday...

View attachment 32278

Gene, don't think of them as weak moments but rather as celebratory purchases. You work hard for the money so might as well enjoy it!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

View attachment 32278

The man simply has no self control. :D

I'm looking forward to your opinion on all this new stuff.

I often wonder about those Atmos height speakers that sit atop the main speakers. I don't think they would work for me as my listening area has a dropped ceiling made from sound absorbing fiber-like tiles.

It was only a few years back that the audio gods were directing us to reduce reflections like the ones we are now trying to produce with atmos. Go figure. :mad:@:

The man simply has no self control. :D

I'm looking forward to your opinion on all this new stuff.

I often wonder about those Atmos height speakers that sit atop the main speakers. I don't think they would work for me as my listening area has a dropped ceiling made from sound absorbing fiber-like tiles.

It was only a few years back that the audio gods were directing us to reduce reflections like the ones we are now trying to produce with atmos. Go figure. :mad:@:

I "hear" you. lol

To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical as well...but as you say...I have no self control. Sometimes I do...but with audio gear....I don't. Hey, some people spend ridiculous amounts of money on vehicles that sit in a garage....not me. I spend a "few" thousand on audio equipment.

But, these smaller Atmos add ons.....if I find no value in the sound...they can also be used as rear or surround speakers....sort of. And, my speakers, by brand would still match. So, I think it's a good investment for me. :)

Gos, thank you for this thread I am also wanting to go "Atmos" and was going to reduce the number of speakers down to 5.1 plus the Atmos speakers 'cos the 9.1 amps where in my opinion just that bit too expensive (I was going to go for a Sony STRDN1080) but seeing your post has made me look at the Denon AVRX4400 which seems to fit the bill perfectly.
I'm going to get the DALI ALTECO C1 Atmos speakers to compliment my existing speakers, then I can retain the present 7.1 speakers and go 7.1.2;)

g6tTtZH.jpg

I also want to get a Sony UBPX800 Blu-ray, hopefully then my system will be complete for some time to come.

I "hear" you. lol

To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical as well...but as you say...I have no self control. Sometimes I do...but with audio gear....I don't. Hey, some people spend ridiculous amounts of money on vehicles that sit in a garage....not me. I spend a "few" thousand on audio equipment.

But, these smaller Atmos add ons.....if I find no value in the sound...they can also be used as rear or surround speakers....sort of. And, my speakers, by brand would still match. So, I think it's a good investment for me. :)

I have never heard the "reflection" style Atmos, looking forward to your comments on this solution!

Looks like they would be perfect for ceiling placement too?

I have never heard the "reflection" style Atmos, looking forward to your comments on this solution!

Looks like they would be perfect for ceiling placement too?

I guess, based on their wedge shape, they would have several placement considerations. :)

Back