New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome post by the way. I've owned many different brands over the years and I keep coming back to Denon for what I describe as a "warm" sound. I've not gotten that warm sound I seem to like from other brands. But, sounds like you've had other Denon and feel like this particular model sounds even better yet.

I beg to differ with you on this. I find the Marantz line warmer sounding while the Denon sounds neutral. I guess, everyone hears differently. :)

OK, and now to come clean on my purchase. It is a Denon Certified Refurbished unit. I have gone this route last 2 receivers and could NOT be happier. In this particular case, I purchased from third party seller called OneCall. Let me tell you how great they are!! Their description says "like new" condition. In this case, this particular one I'm getting was simply a return and not due to failure. When they get these returns, (and the unit is in new condition with zero scratches, blemishes or dents) they send back to Denon to go through the unit to ensure it's in top working condition. They then badge it as certified refurbished and sell at a discount. One more plug for OneCall is that I emailed them asking these questions (about an hour ago) and I received a phone call from them and they walked me through all the background about certified refurbished....the guy was amazing and very detailed and knowledgeable. :) He assured me I would absolutely thrilled with the quality of the product.

So, I got it for $927 and then with tax, it came to $988. Much better than paying for a brand new at $1499 or whatever the price is. It has a 90 day warranty and a 30 day full refund.

I beg to differ with you on this. I find the Marantz line warmer sounding while the Denon sounds neutral. I guess, everyone hears differently. :)

Note I said warm sound. Not the warmest. :) I've never owned Marantz....
In particular, I'm comparing Denon to Onkyo. I found Onkyo to sound very clinical and cold.

OK, and now to come clean on my purchase. It is a Denon Certified Refurbished unit. I have gone this route last 2 receivers and could NOT be happier. In this particular case, I purchased from third party seller called OneCall. Let me tell you how great they are!! Their description says "like new" condition. In this case, this particular one I'm getting was simply a return and not due to failure. When they get these returns, (and the unit is in new condition with zero scratches, blemishes or dents) they send back to Denon to go through the unit to ensure it's in top working condition. They then badge it as certified refurbished and sell at a discount. One more plug for OneCall is that I emailed them asking these questions (about an hour ago) and I received a phone call from them and they walked me through all the background about certified refurbished....the guy was amazing and very detailed and knowledgeable. :) He assured me I would absolutely thrilled with the quality of the product.

So, I got it for $927 and then with tax, it came to $988. Much better than paying for a brand new at $1499 or whatever the price is. It has a 90 day warranty and a 30 day full refund.

It shouldn’t matter if it’s refurbished. Personally, I would have paid the extra money (I received $200 off from the $1,599 retail price) to get the full 3-year warranty for that extra added peace of mind. You never know!

It shouldn’t matter if it’s refurbished. Personally, I would have paid the extra money (I received $200 off from the $1,599 retail price) to get the full 3-year warranty for that extra added peace of mind. You never know!

GOS 3.0 has arrived. He is leaner, more frugal with his purchasing. lol
I may go ahead and get a supplemental square trade warranty. We'll see....I tend to not have troubles with AVR's....or any electronic equipment for that matter. I'm always amazed when I hear all the horror stories from people who seem to have troubles....

OK, well my laptop...that is another story.

Note I said warm sound. Not the warmest. :) I've never owned Marantz....
In particular, I'm comparing Denon to Onkyo. I found Onkyo to sound very clinical and cold.

Some people say the highs sound bright on the Denon. I don’t hear that with this model. Unless, it’s the combination with the particular loudspeaker they’re using.

Sounds like a GREAT DEAL!!!!
ENJOY!!!

The GOS 3.0 in me surfaced, and I went ahead and purchased a year 3 warranty through Square Trade. I've used them in the past and they are wonderful...
I got it for $67, so I guess you can do the math...

$988 + $67 = $1055
Way, way better deal than purchasing brand new for $1645.81 shipped. :)

Very nice! I just got a refurb Sony ZA2100ES for a price I couldn't refuse ($500 or so shipped). It's really nice to not have to mess with switching cables with 4K, although the sound feels like a modest step downward from the Yamaha RX-A3000 it replaced. Still sort of looking at other options (like the Denon).

Great Job GOS. Makes me happy to see folks still buy an AVR these days. Most people I now have a bluetooth speaker for their phone and that's it. Neat, sweet, petite.

If I could put on my OldFartHat here for a second or two, when I was growing up everyone had a "stereo" in their houses, and whoever had the biggest and baddest receiver was THE MAN. Even in college, when money was tight, having good tunes was a sure fire way to make friends at get girls! ;)

But alas, those days are gone, but the music lives on. Anyway, sorry for the detour, but hey, CRANK THAT THING UP!!!

:music:music:music:music:music . :music

I'm still using the Denon AVC A1SE which I purchased some 15+ years ago at a cost of £2,500 no HDMI inputs or outputs but does provide 7.1 analogue inputs which I use from an Oppo 105 and just hope it continues with the problem free service it has given me over the years. This beast weighs in at some 32kg, don't know how the newer models seem to offer so much more at third of the weight :rolleyes:

I'm still using the Denon AVC A1SE which I purchased some 15+ years ago at a cost of £2,500 no HDMI inputs or outputs but does provide 7.1 analogue inputs which I use from an Oppo 105 and just hope it continues with the problem free service it has given me over the years. This beast weighs in at some 32kg, don't know how the newer models seem to offer so much more at third of the weight :rolleyes:

That reminds me of the old Yamaha receivers...from "back in the day"...they were built like a tank(y)

Great Job GOS. Makes me happy to see folks still buy an AVR these days. Most people I now have a bluetooth speaker for their phone and that's it. Neat, sweet, petite.

If I could put on my OldFartHat here for a second or two, when I was growing up everyone had a "stereo" in their houses, and whoever had the biggest and baddest receiver was THE MAN. Even in college, when money was tight, having good tunes was a sure fire way to make friends at get girls! ;)

But alas, those days are gone, but the music lives on. Anyway, sorry for the detour, but hey, CRANK THAT THING UP!!!

:music:music:music:music:music . :music

I "hear" you Jon. In my heart, I still get a huge thrill getting new equipment. Way, way more exciting than buying music. :)
Hmmmm - now what to do with my AVR-X4000

Guess I could stick it in the garage with Luther. Well, we'll see.

The GOS 3.0 in me surfaced, and I went ahead and purchased a year 3 warranty through Square Trade. I've used them in the past and they are wonderful...
I got it for $67, so I guess you can do the math...

$988 + $67 = $1055
Way, way better deal than purchasing brand new for $1645.81 shipped. :)

I have mixed feelings about refurbished products..I wouldn't buy a refurbished entry level product...the price difference and product quality isn't worth the risk...and on these type of products the word "refurbished" is usually just marketing..they couldn't justify a real overall at that price point...but what you did makes sense..and One Call is a good outlet..and I almost always buy extended warranties..if you find a deal on the product..which I usually do(I don't like to pay retail)it pays for the extended warranty..I had a 5 year extended warranty on my current Denon..and 4 and a half years into ownership..I had a major problem.. they replaced a board,it's been great ever since...the warranty was more than paid for..plus where I live there is severe lightning and power fluctuations that most factory warranties don't cover(but they probably would cover a zombie apocalypse)

I have mixed feelings about refurbished products..I wouldn't buy a refurbished entry level product...the price difference and product quality isn't worth the risk...and on these type of products the word "refurbished" is usually just marketing..they couldn't justify a real overall at that price point...but what you did makes sense..and One Call is a good outlet..and I almost always buy extended warranties..if you find a deal on the product..which I usually do(I don't like to pay retail)it pays for the extended warranty..I had a 5 year extended warranty on my current Denon..and 4 and a half years into ownership..I had a major problem.. they replaced a board,it's been great ever since...the warranty was more than paid for..plus where I live there is severe lightning and power fluctuations that most factory warranties don't cover(but they probably would cover a zombie apocalypse)

Yep, I agree. I tend to buy new equipment like buying a new sweater.....once every 2-3 years. :)
So, don't need a 5 year warranty.....it would go to waste for me.

Now, now...not fair...making a statement about the sound without expanding on it. :banana:
If you've never owned a Denon, then I think I know what you mean....if you have owned Denon before...then your comment worries me. :)

I have a weakness for Denon...it has it's own "sound"...and I also share your feeling about Onkyo...I had one and hated it and it was almost a blessing when one of the channels went out so I could justify getting a different brand..

I have a weakness for Denon...it has it's own "sound"...and I also share your feeling about Onkyo...I had one and hated it and it was almost a blessing when one of the channels went out so I could justify getting a different brand..

I vividly remember when I bought an Onkyo (I was coming off a pretty nice Denon) and the sound nearly horrified me. It was SO different than Denon I simply hated it. I worked and worked at it and never could get the sound I liked. Boxed it up and returned it for another Denon. I've not turned back since.

Thing is - the higher end Onkyo's always get stellar ratings in Sound/Vision....so I know folks like them. Just not sure why I had trouble with the sound.

OK - part of my issue as likely my Klipsch. They are pretty much in your face loud and can be described as "slightly bright". Couple that with the doctors office lack of warmth of Onkyo and it was a recipe for disaster.

For me, the combination of Klipsch and Denon is a match in heaven. :phones

Yep, I agree. I tend to buy new equipment like buying a new sweater.....once every 2-3 years. :)
So, don't need a 5 year warranty.....it would go to waste for me.

You are really putting pressure on me...I'm already living vicariously through you with my vinyl fantasy...now I have to deal with your new Denon...geeze...it never ends:xp:

Back