Sony SQR 8750

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHSUDS

Good day, my first post so bear with me folks. I just received this giant of a receiver and was thinking some of you might be more knowledgable regarding the 4 channel options. I can choose 2-4, SQ, and R-MTX. What should I expect fom each.

Thanks,
Paul

HHSUDS said:
Good day, my first post so bear with me folks. I just received this giant of a receiver and was thinking some of you might be more knowledgable regarding the 4 channel options. I can choose 2-4, SQ, and R-MTX. What should I expect fom each. Thanks, Paul

Welcome Paul! Each of the settings you mentioned are different ways for the receiver to decode four channels of sound from a stereo or encoded (into two channels) quadraphonic source ... in the quad days that would have usually meant LPs. SQ LPs were released mainly by CBS/Columbia/Epic labels (affiliated with Sony), and QS ... labeled R-MTX (for Regular Matrix) was from Sansui, but had far fewer available LP releases ... although most believe that it was the superior system.

The 2-4 setting is sort of like the R-MTX setting and was there to decode four channels from stereo LPs. Try them all on some of your stereo CDs and see what you think. My guess is that the SQ setting will not do much for you that way, but you should get a fairly decent surround sound effect if you play back your CDs through either of the other settings. Cheers, Mike.

Quadzilla said:
Welcome Paul! Each of the settings you mentioned are different ways for the receiver to decode four channels of sound from a stereo or encoded (into two channels) quadraphonic source ... in the quad days that would have usually meant LPs. SQ LPs were released mainly by CBS/Columbia/Epic labels (affiliated with Sony), and QS ... labeled R-MTX (for Regular Matrix) was from Sansui, but had far fewer available LP releases ... although most believe that it was the superior system.

The 2-4 setting is sort of like the R-MTX setting and was there to decode four channels from stereo LPs. Try them all on some of your stereo CDs and see what you think. My guess is that the SQ setting will not do much for you that way, but you should get a fairly decent surround sound effect if you play back your CDs through either of the other settings. Cheers, Mike.

Thanks very much for your insightful reply Mike, you are correct, the R-MTX is indeed the preferred setting, however some source material was very well presented with SQ. My teenaged son picked out R-MTX very quickly as superior, I didn't think my hearing has degraded too much, but I definately had a longer listening period. The Sony is a very interesting beast. The specs say 30w RMS in 4CH and 80w RMS in two channel mode. The SQR decoder circuit is a simplified version of the 2010 and is acually closer to a true "all IC" decoder since the F/B, AGC circuit and buffer amplifier have been omitted. At least this is what the service manual tells me. They also claim 80 db signal to noise ratio in any of the Quad modes, no mention of separation though. A bonus surprise to me is the excellent FM section, which was very sensitive and selective for 30yr old technology. It has terminals for a total of eight speakers, but I am a little cautious about pushing her too hard just yet as the critical impedance level is around two ohms. Now I am trying to enlighten my son about the rise and fall of Quad systems, and how there really isn't anything new under the sun.

Paul

HHSUDS said:
... I am trying to enlighten my son about the rise and fall of Quad systems, and how there really isn't anything new under the sun.
Paul

Hi Paul, I have a 2010 as a backup unit, and your comments were interesting to hear. One thing though ... "rise and fall of Quad systems" ??? When did they fall? Did I miss something? Cheers, Mike.

Quadzilla said:
Hi Paul, I have a 2010 as a backup unit, and your comments were interesting to hear. One thing though ... "rise and fall of Quad systems" ??? When did they fall? Did I miss something? Cheers, Mike.

I would be referring to the fact that most 16 yr olds would be unfamiliar with the "Quad" format. It is a matter of terminology. They know "surround sound" and other similar systems but when I showed him a 1974 ( stone age to him ) sound system that was termed "Quad" he was a little dumbfounded. The pertinent point was that there is indeed "nothing new under the sun". Now being an Ontario boy you might compare it to me explaining to him that the Leafs won the Cup in 1967, and that at one time it was a six team league. Surely you well know there have always been diehard Leaf fans!

Paul

HHSUDS said:
Now being an Ontario boy you might compare it to me explaining to him that the Leafs won the Cup in 1967, and that at one time it was a six team league. Surely you well know there have always been diehard Leaf fans!

Paul

Holy Crap Paul! The Leafs Won the Cup? ... Who are the Leafs? LOL Mike.

i found one of these on craigslist for $100. went to the guy's house to check it out. sounded great and very clean (with the exception of some cigarette smell), a little static when some of the knobs were turned. i then asked what the "meter sens" button was. he hit it a couple of times to show me and POP - right front channel out. he said he didn't have the money to fix it and if i wanted to get it fixed i could have it. in the four channel mode i get sound from the other three speakers. the needle on the RF meter is pegged. when i turn off the unit the needles on the meters for the other three channels immediately drop to -20. the RF needle slowly drops. could it be a blown capacitor somewhere in that channel's signal path? if so, if i open the case will i see a leaking cap? any tips on cleaning the smell out of it? i tried using some orange scented goo gone on the case.

all help in getting this receiver working would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Back