Enoch Light

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty interesting stuff. I did not know the Enoch Light started and sold "Command" to ABC, or the "Project 3" was so names as it was his third label that he owned!

I wonder what motivated him to pressing quad LPs in mulitple formats. I thought it was pretty cool to get a single title in CD-4, SQ and QS (or RM). Was this an evolution (i.e. Rm;s first pressing, CD-4 second pressing, SQ third pressing) or were they all pressed at the same time???

H-m-m-m.

:-jon

Jon,
that's a intresting point. I wondered myself if there has been a single album released in all 4 quad lp format.
The one that i know closer to the Quad Poker is "tubular bells", which had cd4, sq and ud4. Did existed also a QS version?

Based on the information in my <em>QUAD Incorporated</em> discography, it looks like Project 3 might have released only one album using four different quad LP systems. That would be Enoch Light/Spanish Strings, PR5000. The number, PR5000, makes it numerically first in the quad series.

My discography shows it as available in EV (Electro-Voice Stereo-4), SQ and CD-4, but I expect Project 3 replaced the EV version with a QS one. The company's earliest quad releases used EV encoding. At first the quad records came in stereo jackets with a label affixed to the front of the jacket. The most common in my collection say "New! 4 Channel Stereo". A few, especially those on the Radio Shack Realistic label, included the phrase "Processed in Stereo-4". Because the mixes inevitably paraded, swirled or bounced the music among the four speakers, I picked up several of these shortly after their release. I knew they were EV-encoded only because no other versions existed at the time.

When EV failed to catch on, Project 3 made life difficult by reissuing at least some existing titles in QS without assigning a different number to the record. Its early Stereo-4 releases and their QS replacements both used record numbers ending in "QD". Sometimes a label on the front cover identifies the record inside as "QS", but in my experience there is usually nothing to distinguish the EV from the QS version.

I think the SQ and CD-4 releases started appearing around 1974 or 1975. Fortunately, the company ended the record number of the SQ versions with "SQ" and the CD-4 versions with "CD4". Unfortunately, it put all versions in jackets bearing the number ending in "QD". Sometimes a label on the cover identified the record inside as "SQ" or "CD-4", but not always.

Except for PR5000, my discography indicates that all the Project 3 titles released in three officially different quad versions were originally issued in QS. The discography identifies 10 of these:

<ul><li>PR5049: Enoch Light/Big Band Hits of the '30s</li><li>PR5056: Enoch Light: Big Band Hits of the '30s & '40s</li><li>PR5060: Enoch Light/Brass Managerie 1973</li><li>PR5068: Enoch Light/Four Channel Dynamite!</li><li>PR5069: Tony Mottola/Tony & Strings </li><li>PR5073: Enoch Light/Charge</li><li>PR5076: Enoch Light/Big Band Hits of the '40s & '50s</li><li>PR5077: Enoch Light/Future Sound Shock</li><li>PR5078: Tony Mottola/And the Quad Guitars</li><li>PR5079: The Nashville Jets/Nashville Now</li></ul>

Project 3 also released a test record, PR401, in conjunction with Popular Science in QS, SQ and CD-4. It contains test tones and musical selections, so it's probably the title to look for if you want to compare the three quad systems.

Other than PR5000, when Project 3 issued alternate versions of early quad albums, it was in CD-4, not SQ. These included:

<ul><li>PR5024: Urbie Green/Twenty-One Trombones, Vol.2</li><li>PR5033: World's Greatest Jazzband of Yank Lawson & Bob Haggart/World's Greatest Jazzband</li><li>PR5036: Enoch Light/Brass Managerie</li><li>PR5041: Tony Mottola/The Tony Touch</li><li>PR5043: Enoch Light/Spaced Out: The Music of Bach, Bacharach & the Beatles</li><li>PR5048: Enoch Light/Permissive Polyphonics</li></ul>

Larry

This thread could use a bit of a reboot, eh? :)

I recently picked up a very clean copy of Enoch Light's "The Big Band Hits of the Thirties". After looking at QQ's Project 3 discography I see that "PR 5049" is one of those records issued in multiple 4 channel formats without much, if anything, in the way of distinguishing labels.

Is there any way, other than trying SQ and QS to see which sounds better (and I do have a newly received Surround Master via QQ's forum) to tell which version I have? I'm fairly sure it's not CD-4.

There is a grey generic "4 channel - plays on your stereo" label on the front jacket. On the rear jacket in the upper left corner (and the front jacket upper right) there is "PR 5049 SD". On the disc label is printed "PR 5049 QD" and under that in smaller type "5049 QD A" on side 1 and "5049 QD B" on side 2.

The copyright date on the lower back jacket says "Copyright 1970 / The Total Sound Inc / 1270 Avenues of the Americas/New York 10020 / USA".

Thanks!

This thread could use a bit of a reboot, eh? :)

I recently picked up a very clean copy of Enoch Light's "The Big Band Hits of the Thirties". After looking at QQ's Project 3 discography I see that "PR 5049" is one of those records issued in multiple 4 channel formats without much, if anything, in the way of distinguishing labels.

Is there any way, other than trying SQ and QS to see which sounds better (and I do have a newly received Surround Master via QQ's forum) to tell which version I have? I'm fairly sure it's not CD-4.

There is a grey generic "4 channel - plays on your stereo" label on the front jacket. On the rear jacket in the upper left corner (and the front jacket upper right) there is "PR 5049 SD". On the disc label is printed "PR 5049 QD" and under that in smaller type "5049 QD A" on side 1 and "5049 QD B" on side 2.

The copyright date on the lower back jacket says "Copyright 1970 / The Total Sound Inc / 1270 Avenues of the Americas/New York 10020 / USA".

Thanks!

It's QS - I have the same record (and a ton more Project 3) with an outer sleeve number that ends in SD and a record label that ends in QD with a sticker that matches yours. The SQ version would use SQ at the end of the number on the label only as well. But just to confuse things, I believe later there are QS and SQ quads that end with SD on the front and on the inside as well. Confused yet? :mad:@:

wow - talk about instant info :yikes Thought sure a 13 yr old thread would take longer to wake up :D

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll silently mutter a few choice words about PR3 and E.L. and enjoy the QS album (one of my favorites - had the reel-to-reel version back when it was new)

And yes - I am confused. I have no idea how one would determine that unless some internal Project3 notes were available to consult.

It's QS - I have the same record (and a ton more Project 3) with an outer sleeve number that ends in SD and a record label that ends in QD with a sticker that matches yours. The SQ version would use SQ at the end of the number on the label only as well. But just to confuse things, I believe later there are QS and SQ quads that end with SD on the front and on the inside as well. Confused yet? :mad:@:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Project3.htm

Hey Schultz, here is the definitive list of Project 3 titles and what formats they were released in. It doesn't say how to tell them apart though. I usually assume the ones that end in QD are QS or compatible and the SD and SQ ones are SQ. CD4 titles had CD4 in the number...usually. I would say try them all and see waht sounds most discrete to you, if you are in doubt after looking at the list.

Right - I saw that. Then I also saw that the LP I have was listed in all the formats - sheesh what a mess :confused:

Yeah, I was wondering about the QD and then inquadwetrust responded. I was in doubt after losing at the list - so I found an appropriate thread and asked - didn't expect such quick help though (y)

Hey Schultz, here is the definitive list of Project 3 titles and what formats they were released in. It doesn't say how to tell them apart though. I usually assume the ones that end in QD are QS or compatible and the SD and SQ ones are SQ. CD4 titles had CD4 in the number...usually. I would say try them all and see waht sounds most discrete to you, if you are in doubt after looking at the list.

The first thread I'd seen and it left me as confused as when I started out on the quest.

The 2nd link is exactly what I was looking for - thanks! :cool:

Refer to this thread for details on the Project3 discography:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Project3.htm Edit: SNAP! :rolleyes: :D

And also check out this thread...
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Project-3-Records-How-to-determine-the-format

In summary - check the matrix number(s) in the run-out:

If it ends in SQ e.g. PR 5081 SQ its SQ
If it ends in QD e.g. PR 5065 QD its QS

Here are some visual representations of the multi-inventory quad madness that is Project 3.

One QS and one SQ version of 'Future Sound Shock' shown here (one is yellowed from age, the other was sealed/new old stock):
IMG_3821 copy.jpg

Both sleeves are marked with the same catalog number:

IMG_3825 copy.jpg

The SQ version carries a big sticker that is different to the standard '4-Channel' one:

IMG_3827 copy.jpg

Then the record labels differ in layout and number:

Attachments

• IMG_3829 copy.jpg
    IMG_3829 copy.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_3830 copy.jpg
    IMG_3830 copy.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3823 copy.jpg
    IMG_3823 copy.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 194
Why do I have a headache now? :roll eyes:

Thanks!

We are just warming up my friend!:

So here are two albums, similar art, some tracks are common to each - no sticker and confusingly (at least to some) called '4 Channel Stereo'. One has the QD as a stamp inside the dead wax, one has 4C included in the number. Both of these are QS encoded. Oh and the blurb on the back also calls this a 'Quadrasonic recording' as well.

IMG_3847 copy.jpgIMG_3848 copy.jpgIMG_3851 copy.jpgIMG_3849 copy.jpgIMG_3854 copy.jpgIMG_3857 copy.jpg

I think E.L. was traumatized by an overly organized childhood and Project 3 was his rebellion :p

We are just warming up my friend!:

So here are two albums, similar art, some tracks are common to each - no sticker and confusingly (at least to some) called '4 Channel Stereo'. One has the QD as a stamp inside the dead wax, one has 4C included in the number. Both of these are QS encoded. Oh and the blurb on the back also calls this a 'Quadrasonic recording' as well.

I think the one with the 900 cat number is EV encoded (and was only issued in EV) not QS... (according the discography).... so the different format matrix number fits in with that. :confused:

EDIT: have a look at the formats of the LPs in the discography...

Does anyone have any recommendations as to the best Enoch Light quad for a newbie who's never heard him/them? (Any format is OK)

Much depends on your taste in music of course. I came to know Enoch Light thru his arrangements of big band and 1920s/30s music. My recommendation would be
"The Big Band Hits of the Thirties" (Project3 PR 5049 SD - that's the SQ version I believe) and ""The Big Band Hits of the 40s and 50s" (Project3 PR 5076 QD - a QS encoded version
if I have followed the nomenclature correctly).

Much depends on your taste in music of course. I came to know Enoch Light thru his arrangements of big band and 1920s/30s music. My recommendation would be
"The Big Band Hits of the Thirties" (Project3 PR 5049 SD - that's the SQ version I believe) and ""The Big Band Hits of the 40s and 50s" (Project3 PR 5076 QD - a QS encoded version
if I have followed the nomenclature correctly).

Fantastic, thanks! My grandfather was a big band leader, so this sounds like the right place to start!

Back