quality of sansui qrx 3500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbyquad

What is the opinion of this group on this model? Is it worth keeping? What is it worth? Is it something that should be upgraded with new caps, etc?

Thanks ...

newbyquad said:
What is the opinion of this group on this model? Is it worth keeping? What is it worth? Is it something that should be upgraded with new caps, etc?

It all depends on 1) what kind of quad you want to listen to, and 2) how much you like it!

My first "big" Sansui was a QRX-3500 - I still have it! The upside: It's got a good tuner section, will pump 22 watts / channel RMS into 8 ohms, and will decode both QS ("regular matrix") and SQ Lps, with provisions for CD-4 (but you'll have to track down an outboard CD-4 decoder).

The downside: The Vario-Matrix chips are first-generation, and aren't as good at steering decoded QS material as the x001 series of receivers. SQ decoding is adequate, but only just. And, as I said above, there's no internal CD-4 decoder - you'll have to get an outboard if you want to decode those discs.

If you don't want to fiddle with CD-4 (which can be twitchy to set up properly), and are satisfied with the performance of the matrix decoders, then keep it. If you're looking for more capabilities and more power, find a x001 unit you can afford - those are definitely worth rebuilding.

Clark... now saving for a QuadBob resto on my 8001!

(n) It's not worth keeping except as a historical piece, there are no Variomatrix chips in the unit, all decoding was done via discreet circuits. Separation was minimal.

quadanasaziland said:
(n) It's not worth keeping except as a historical piece, there are no Variomatrix chips in the unit, all decoding was done via discreet circuits. Separation was minimal.

I am not sure that I agree. It is true that the Variomatrix is not as good as later units, but it is a solid unit and would be ideal to use with a multichannel SACD or DVD source in a smaller room. I use a QRX-6500 in my bedroom with a small set of Paradigm speakers and a Sony SACD/DVD player and it is more than adequate. Not worth a total restoration for sure, but I would not agree that it is not worth keeping ... and it likely has a decent tuner section as well. Cheers, Mike.

The 3500 being a first generation Variomatrix critter gave up front to front separation to get diagonal sep. (sounded more quad) about 10 dbs give or take, corner to corner and just 3 dbs front to front and back to back and front to back. The 3500 is a great garage noise maker or maybe the bathroom. Direct input from a DVD, I guess, if it can mix down to 4 channels or 5.0 or 5.1 with an extra center amp and powered sub but if you are synthing from stereo, weak separation at best.

Clark are you sure about that 22 wpc? I believe that is in stereo not quad. I'll check that when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
On my first forray into quad, I owned a Pioneer QX-747, then bought a QRX-3500. The 3500 was soo much better than the 747. Yes, it's not as good as a x001 unit, but it's not bad either. At least you could hear some quad action. I would keep it.

quadanasaziland said:
Clark are you sure about that 22 wpc? I believe that is in stereo not quad. I'll check that when I get home tonight.

That's what I get for going off the top of my head. The factory data sheet sez:

*CONTINUOUS RMS POWER:
(1kHz, each channel driven)
30 watts x4 into 4 Ohms
22 watts x4 into 8 Ohms

*CONTINUOUS RMS POWER:
(1kHz, four channels driven)
64 watts (16 watts per channel) into 8 Ohms

*CONTINUOUS RMS POWER:
(20 - 20,000 Hz, four channels driven)
60 watts (15 watts per channel) into 8 Ohms

So I guess 22 wpc is optimistic ;)

I've listened to a few DVDs with mine using the synthesizer mode and four speakers. It makes some decent effects on some of them. If nothing else it is fun to play with and very attractive. I use it now to run the two front channels in my home entertainment surround sound system.

Ed

Back