Fosgate Matrix Digital Processor Dsm-3608

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't want one of these. If you want a good Fosgate surround synthesizer, get the Fosgate Audionics Model 4. None of the Fosgate units except the Tate II will do SQ decoding. The 3600 series was produced between the Tate and the Model series, and isn't nearly as good as the Model series. For more info, do a search on the Model 4 in the archives, I have posted frequently about them in the past.

quadralizer said:
Does anyone have any info on one of these?

PIC HERE

I owned one for awhile. Tried it with the VHS first to see if it would create a surround sound field for movie watching. It was okay but I reverted back to using my Sony SQA-2030 since I preferred the synthesized field it created.

Moved it to my music listening room and experimented. Nothing to get excited about. I fed its output to my Vario-Matrix and the final output was horrid. On its own the effects were so-so and created no aural thrills within my decrepit ancient mind and body. I mych prefer my basic 2-channels out NuReality Circle Surround unit that feeds a usable signal to my Vario-Matrix decoder.

I re-sold the unit on eBay, for more than what I paid, so I earned a wee bit of money to experiment.

Of course, people's opinons about what sounds good, okay and bad differ but I can't envision anybody getting too excited about using the unit you asked about.

quadralizer said:
Does anyone have any info on one of these?

PIC HERE
Hi Quadralizer,
I have had a Fosgate DSM-3610 for a couple of years. I don't have a manual so I may be misunderstanding some of it's functions.

What it is good for:
1) Great for creating a center channel from stereo. What gets routed to the center front is all but eliminated from the left front/right front.
2) Good low pass filter for generating a sub channel - great if you have a sub or are feeding into a 5.1 system.
3) Switching. It has lots of inputs and a tape loop. Great for switching between stereo sources.

What it's NOT good for:
1) Music. The rear channel is delayed and bandwidth limited. It's awful for music.
2) Mine has left and right "side" outputs. This may be a feature on the DSM-3610 only. They are muddy, indistinct and need yet another pair of amplifiers/speakers (wait that's a good thing isn't it?). I have yet to find any way to use them where they don't detract from the listening experience.

I must point out that I don't have a TV so I have never tried it in a video or home theatre application - for which it was really designed. The separation is stunningly good. The front panel switches refer to "Dolby" and "Pro Plus". I suspect it was "Dolby Pro Logic" before Dolby took it on board - after all Jim Fosgate was responsible for Dolby Pro Logic 2 (DPL II)

If anyone has a manual they can copy for me, please let me know.
Cheers, Igor
Perth, Western Australia

Back