Quad FM Radio... proof at last!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WFMT in Chicago did Lyric Opera Broadcasts as matrix Quad.

In 1970, 2 stations in Chicago broadcast Quad, one station for the front, another for the rears. It was the first time I heard Quad and it was in my house.

Hi all,
hope its ok to revive an old thread,
does anyone have any information about KLOS' 1974 quad broadcast of the In concert tv simulcast of David Bowies July 73 Hammersmith odeon concert?
did KLOS broadcast 4 channels matrixed or require a 2nd freq for the rear channels
did they "fake up" a Quad signal or did "in concert" provide them with a 4 channel mix

would the quad signal still be encoded in any off air recording of the fm broadcast?

i have the (in)famous Quadrophonic Who bootleg from a 1973 radio broadcast but no way of playing it back in quad

what killed Quad fm?
thanks in advance

cannot answer about the broadcast, but quad really never died,it just went into obscurity, being that there were too many format wars, a couple makers did thier own thing never realizing a standard. It morphed in the late 70's into Dolby surround. They just reasigned the channels- 3 seperate in front, and rears being one channel. The music is what died, until 2004 or somthing when the "new" formats were put out-dvd a and sacd.
many people around the world continue to keep quad alive by continued support like the members here.

Thanks,
i used to love the DTS cds but when the DVD-A releases started suffering from the same problems as CD , brickwalling, noise reduction etc i gave up and got rid of my system. i'm mainly Vinyl these days trying to find my favourite 2 channel versions of my fave LPs and concerts
when all those multitracks surfaced online, i did enjoy hearing my friends 5.1 mixes of Nirvana, The Who etc

dolby 5.1 sounds wierd to me like the volume level keeps altering,i would love to have been around in the days of quad
i find the mass market trend towards horrible lossy digital audio away from hi-fidelity very depressing

Some dvd audio were poorly produced. But, you gave up too soon. Blu Ray discs, either audio or video are lossless, and most surround. Like a BD film. DD with music sucks! DTS is much more relegated to music with more info. in the rear channels and the ability to be lossless. (96/24) . I have older dvd's that sound great. One in particular is zappa does zappa. But it always boils down to the production quality's, shit in-shit out! You have to hear Kamaririad in 5.1 on a good system, or Gaucho. They were headed in a good direction, but soon gave up to our dismay.

Hey all,

Selling on eBay now is a reel tape of a quad fm show called quadraphonic happenings... I think.

The reel was recorded in stereo ... but has some info in the pics about fm quad on the air.

Honestly...... not that exciting

https://www.ebay.com/i/142531714152

Ah, 1976, the year before Disco exploded. There was some disco on the air but 1977-78 is when it really hit.

"Rock the Boat" was even earlier, in 1974, and if it plays in a bar today, at least half the people sitting around the bar will move to it.

Doug

Please forgive this very late entry to the party. In the early 70’s I watched the “California Jam” rock festival on our local ABC affiliate, KABC. Their sister station, KLOS-FM, simulcast the audio, since I was hanging at one of the older kids houses, he had a great stereo setup. My memory tells me that KLOS also aired the show in Quad. Can anyone confirm this?

I never had the chance to hear a station that broadcast quad, but I just found proof that some, in fact, did!

A buddy of mine had an old Top 40 sheet from WSPK, Poukeepsie, New York, from January of 1976. In the logo on the letterhead, they ID themselves as "stereo/Quadraphonic".

I've never seen this before... thought I'd pass it along. Anyone know of any other stations that broadcast quad?

Clark

BTW, I'd love to have heard the segue from the Sweet into Andy Williams! :mad:@:
Quad on AM in 1976, seems unlikely. I wonder if that station was experimenting with stereo broadcasting at the time? If they ran a QS or SQ quad synthesizer I suppose Quad broadcasting might of been possible! Oh the unfulfilled possibilities!!

Edit; So WBNR was AM and WSPK was FM Stereo, which would of broadcast in fake quad. That makes more sense now!

Last edited:
Please forgive this very late entry to the party. In the early 70’s I watched the “California Jam” rock festival on our local ABC affiliate, KABC. Their sister station, KLOS-FM, simulcast the audio, since I was hanging at one of the older kids houses, he had a great stereo setup. My memory tells me that KLOS also aired the show in Quad. Can anyone confirm this?
KLOS was notorious for synthesizing quad from stereo sources. Just check through Billboard magazine from the time period. California Jam was not broadcast in Quad, only in stereo although KLOS probably upmixed it to quad. Check out this link Quad Radio Discography and read the explinations for Cat Stevens, California Jam & Rick Wakeman and you get the picture.

WSHE 103.5 - Ft. Lauderdale / Miami. "She's only rock-n-roll" - SHE RADIO | CLASSIC ROCK FLORIDA | WSHE | 103SHE | SHE'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL

What I recall is that no one had a radio that could receive the quad signal....
All it took to hear SHE in quad was either a quad receiver, or a stereo receiver with an external QS/RM decoder connected, and the two additional speakers. Zeta4 used the SQ system. Both stations had encoders to convert quad reels and CD-4 records to their matrix of choice

Ah, 1976, the year before Disco exploded. There was some disco on the air but 1977-78 is when it really hit.

"Rock the Boat" was even earlier, in 1974, and if it plays in a bar today, at least half the people sitting around the bar will move to it.

Doug
I wouldn't consider that to be Disco but a lot of music toward the middle of the seventies started getting that sort of funk proto-disco feel.

I know that the guys who owned WDHA Dover NJ and WMTR Morristown NJ were always way ahead of the curve. I believe they did quad broadcasts when things first started up. Same with FM Stereo, having a huge studio where they brought in musicians to perform. There weren't a lot of recorded stereo materials at the time. Same for quad. Their AM station, which they purchased after putting the FM on the air, was AM Stereo and sounded great. I remember being in their lobby listening to the AM (oldies/standards) and it sounded as good as the FM in terms of quality. It was an AM stereo receiver sitting there with the speakers, so I know it was the actual broadcast signal.

I wouldn't consider that to be Disco but a lot of music toward the middle of the seventies started getting that sort of funk proto-disco feel.

"Rock the Boat" is very often cited as one of the earliest disco hit....the first disco #1 hit, to some.

Misterbee, I even have a video of CalJam where it says "broadcast in quad on KLOS" on the screen. HOWEVER, it is not correct. Years back I contacted a man named Norm Abrams (I think) who was one of the two people credited as mix engineer for the show. He was adamant that no quad mixes were done. There was a mono mix done for the tv, and a stereo for the FM simulcast. Hopefully someone will locate the audio someday, which would most likely be hiding in one of Dick Clarks archives (if there still is such a thing).

"Rock the Boat" is very often cited as one of the earliest disco hit....the first disco #1 hit, to some.
I think that is the problem with pigeon holing music to one category or another. Im my mind "Rock the Boat" is in no way disco, not even proto disco. If I had to categorize it I might call it soul or even pop. I've long considered Bee Gees - Jive Talkin’ to be the first disco type record (that I was aware of), but I'm sure that it's not. That record for me was a big departure in that groups style (and I didn't like it). Still even that record is not exactly what I would consider to be disco.

Anyway I think that it's time to pull out my 45 of Brother Jake and The Incinerators "Disco's In The Garbage". "All my disco records are deep inside a bin, let me open up the lid and throw more garbage in"!

Sorry if I'm offending anybody who actually likes disco, it was very polarizing at the time. The way it came in and overtook (dominated) all other forms of music fueled the extreme backlash against it.

I think that is the problem with pigeon holing music to one category or another. Im my mind "Rock the Boat" is in no way disco, not even proto disco. If I had to categorize it I might call it soul or even pop. I've long considered Bee Gees - Jive Talkin’ to be the first disco type record (that I was aware of), but I'm sure that it's not. That record for me was a big departure in that groups style (and I didn't like it). Still even that record is not exactly what I would consider to be disco.

Anyway I think that it's time to pull out my 45 of Brother Jake and The Incinerators "Disco's In The Garbage". "All my disco records are deep inside a bin, let me open up the lid and throw more garbage in"!

Sorry if I'm offending anybody who actually likes disco, it was very polarizing at the time. The way it came in and overtook (dominated) all other forms of music fueled the extreme backlash against it.
It may or may not be "disco," which evolved over time. But it IS considered the first disco song to make it to number one on Billboard's hot 100 chart.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_the_Boat_(The_Hues_Corporation_song)

Back