Can't Buy A Thrill Surround SACD - Announced in 2004, Not Released

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI, Universal Music has announced that they are adding Steely Dan's "Can't Buy A Thrill" to this summer's series of Surround Sound SACD releases by the group.

Also new to the SACD release list is Sting's "Brand New Day" which previously appeared as a DTS 5.1 Music Disc and on DVD-A.

Check the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=10934317 for more details.

bmoura said:
FYI, Universal Music has announced that they are adding Steely Dan's "Can't Buy A Thrill" to this summer's series of Surround Sound SACD releases by the group.

Also new to the SACD release list is Sting's "Brand New Day" which previously appeared as a DTS 5.1 Music Disc and on DVD-A.

Check the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=10934317 for more details.
Woooohoooo! Have you seen any stories about the missing Aja master tapes and if they were actually found?

This is great news, looks like it's going to be an expensive July. Does anyone know if Mr. Scheiner is going to be mixing all of these? Given the length of time it takes to remix and remaster a disc and taking into account the continual postponement of certain artists' releases, (R.E.M., Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, etc.), I just hope that these releases won't be "rush jobs" done by less than experienced personnel. I would rather have one Steely Dan release a year done brilliantly, than all of them in a few months done half-assed. The fact that they are SACD releases bodes well as they don't have to worry about all the extras included with a DVD-A release, so hopefully my concerns are for naught. At any rate, time to start saving up. (He says after just spending $120 on Rush tickets.)

GaryW said:
This is great news, looks like it's going to be an expensive July. Does anyone know if Mr. Scheiner is going to be mixing all of these? Given the length of time it takes to remix and remaster a disc and taking into account the continual postponement of certain artists' releases, (R.E.M., Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Browne, etc.), I just hope that these releases won't be "rush jobs" done by less than experienced personnel. I would rather have one Steely Dan release a year done brilliantly, than all of them in a few months done half-assed. The fact that they are SACD releases bodes well as they don't have to worry about all the extras included with a DVD-A release, so hopefully my concerns are for naught. At any rate, time to start saving up. (He says after just spending $120 on Rush tickets.)

I don't see ANYONE else touching The Dan's work. Don't forget, he was their engineer before he became Mr 5.1. Besides, Universal has not done any rush jobs as far as I can see (except maybe only having ONE Gabriel surround title! :mad: )

daved64 said:
I don't see ANYONE else touching The Dan's work. Don't forget, he was their engineer before he became Mr 5.1. Besides, Universal has not done any rush jobs as far as I can see (except maybe only having ONE Gabriel surround title! :mad: )

Scheiner was the 5.1 remix engineer on both versions of the Gaucho Surround Sound mixes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved on these as well.

bmoura said:
Scheiner was the 5.1 remix engineer on both versions of the Gaucho Surround Sound mixes, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved on these as well.
Guys, i have spoken to Elliot and of course A Parsons, and the time to remix these is not that much, once you are good at this. If all the tapes are good an lp a week is no problem. :brew

Tad,

I don't suppose you could get one of them (Alan or Elliot) to post here in a thread along the lines of the SH forum "Ron Furmanek" thread?

Just thought I'd ask! :D

quadtrade said:
Guys, i have spoken to Elliot and of course A Parsons, and the time to remix these is not that much, once you are good at this. If all the tapes are good an lp a week is no problem. :brew

So, do we know if Elliot Scheiner did the upcoming Steely Dan Surround Sound SACD remixes ?

JonUrban said:
Tad,

I don't suppose you could get one of them (Alan or Elliot) to post here in a thread along the lines of the SH forum "Ron Furmanek" thread?

Just thought I'd ask! :D
Jon i have not seen Scheiner in a couple years and have asked Alan, but i think spends his free time in different ways than these boards? :(

quadtrade said:

Are there any plans for Parsons to do surround versions of any of his older titles like "I Robot"

it would be incredible if Richard LaBonte could get in touch with Elliot Scheiner and see if Music Valet could license and release all his Steely Dan 5.1 mixes on DVD-Audio..!!

When I saw this on the new posts it was wow, :banana: , sadly not to be. Could Music Valet be the saviours of all that good 5.1 music sitting in cans on shelves?

When I saw this on the new posts it was wow, :banana: , sadly not to be. Could Music Valet be the saviours of all that good 5.1 music sitting in cans on shelves?

it's got to be worth a try! ;)

Richard LaBonte seemed to rather like the idea of QQ-ers putting forward suggestions of artists and albums for Music Valet to release in 5.1.

Maybe Jon might consider starting a Sticky on QQ (in a more appropriate area of QQ I guess!) where we can post our suggestions for the attention of Mr.LaBonte..??

I've given up hope that we'll ever see a 5.1 release of this title. Does anyone know if it was ever produced as a stereo-only SACD? I saw that CD Japan released it as an SHM CD back in 2011, but it was not an SACD.

Can't Buy a Thrill is one of my all time favorite albums.

Stop reviving this goddamned old thread. Seeing the title freaks me out all over again.

Lol, I changed the thread title and moved it to the rumors section since it is no longer "coming soon".

It's not a rumor.
It was announced by Universal Music, the group's record label.

Like a few other Surround SACDs announced by Universal Music Group, this one was not released after the announcement.

Back