DTS-CD BT - Monster

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacDaddy

Since 2002/2003
I just picked up BT's new release "Music Inspired by the Film Monster". I had read it was not to be released until summer 2004 to coincide with the DVD release of the movie but I guess things have changed. The DTS release came in a CD size jewel case and had a small 5.1 sticker, it also contained a stereo CD. I have not seen the movie so I did not know quite what to expect in the way of music. I must say I was a little disappointed as the music turned out to be not the hard driving, upbeat style I had been used to from BT but more of a moody and ambient style. It also looks like surround sound will be BT's future medium of choice according to an article I read at High Fidelity Review.

Old thread :) This is a great disc, 2 hours of music in 5.1. Unlike MacDaddy, I do like the ambient style. It has some tracks that are more upbeat with guitars and all. Most tracks have nice action in the rears as well. For sale on ebay for decent prices, so well worth picking up.

Anything BT does is worth picking up in any format. His use of layering in a mostly electronic medium, as well as his incorporating live instruments and his own voice into the mix more and more, is unparalleled. One of my favorite artists of the past 15 years.

Holy sh!t guys! I just realized that this is as low as 4 bucks on amazon marketplace right now! How could I have missed this?! Seriously, get it if you don't have it yet. Just snatched it up and am looking forward to getting the DVD (only know the tracks from the CD so far and really like them). Hey, what other albums by BT do you recommend? This will be my first. Which one should I get next (in 5.1)?

Holy sh!t guys! I just realized that this is as low as 4 bucks on amazon marketplace right now! How could I have missed this?! Seriously, get it if you don't have it yet. Just snatched it up and am looking forward to getting the DVD (only know the tracks from the CD so far and really like them). Hey, what other albums by BT do you recommend? This will be my first. Which one should I get next (in 5.1)?

It wasn't done (commercially) in surround, but "These Hopeful Machines" is my favorite album of this brief decade. The production, attention to detail, and variety on the 2CD set is just amazing. It never gets boring. "Movement in Still Life" and "Ima" are also fabulous discs.

Stormchaser is correct as to "This Binary Universe" being the only other commercially available 5.1. That should not stop you from learning more about a very underrated artist in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
I just ordered a copy from Amazon for $4.47. At that price, and with these recommendations, I'm looking forward to giving it a listen. Thanks for the tips.

Can't warm up to "This Binary Universe", no matter how much I try. Huh.

OTOH, I received "Monster" 2 days ago and just finished listening to it for the first time today. 2 hours and 3 seconds of beautiful ambient music! I love the blend of acoustic guitars and electronic music. The mix is engaging and immersive, with lots of sepeartion and the channels being equally active throughout. Nice and precise placement of instruments, wonderful dynamics, a strong and clean bass - I love it!!

Again, if you don't have this baby yet, go get it, guys. Still cheap on amazon.

Last edited:
To my surprise, BT released TWO albums in the past week in very limited self-release through Createspace. One is called "If the Stars are Eternal So Are We," while the other is one extended album-length track called "Morceau Subrosa." The former is being called a spiritual follow-up to "This Binary Universe."

He plans on releasing the true follow-up to "These Hopeful Machines" before the end of the year. As you can never have too much BT, I loved the surprise of knowing of two new albums this morning. One is on order right now.

Actually, I'd never heard of Createspace before. VERY interesting concept.

You can order one through here:

https://www.createspace.com/2048828

The other.....I have no clue. It's on ITunes and can be Googled, but I'm not seeing a legal way to actually buy a lossless version.

Anyways, support him. It's not often you have such a great artist really going through such lengths to get music out there.

After reading the comments I thought why not get Monster, only £0.99 + £1.29 P&P (about $3.40 all in) from a reseller on amazon.co.uk!

It arrived this morning, onto the to listen to pile. Thanks folks for highlighting it. :) :music

After reading the comments I thought why not get Monster, only £0.99 + £1.29 P&P (about $3.40 all in) from a reseller on amazon.co.uk!

Back