Emerson, Lake & Palmer - In the hot seat - Surround??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi,
I was going through some of my old CD's and came across ELP In the hot seat, and couldn't believe what i read on the back cover by the bonus tracks 11 {+} Pictures at an exhibition. It said they are presented in Dolby surround. I was quite excited to give it a try. So tried it on my SACD player, didn't play in surround, then i tried it on my DVD player, didn't play in surround, and i tried it on my CD player hooked up digitally, didn't play in surround. Bummer. Does anyone have any information that this is in surround, or is this a misprint ? Or am i doing something wrong?? I couldn't get it to play in Dolby surround, it just stayed in Pro logic. THANKS, MIDIQ

By the way I didn't know where to put this post, I hope this is the right place to put this question, since it should play in a DVD player??

Hello,

ELP - Pictures remake is Pro-Logic or Pro-Logic II only, NOT Dolby Digital. Remember this was done in 1993, so DD wasn't around yet. I have the same track on a Manticore box set promo sampler. It's pretty decent, but discrete would be much better.

Thanks for the information, I will give it a listen in Pro Logic then. I see on the CD it does say Dolby Surround, not Dolby Digital Surround. That was my mistake. Thanks again. MIDIQ

Hello,

ELP - Pictures remake is Pro-Logic or Pro-Logic II only, NOT Dolby Digital. Remember this was done in 1993, so DD wasn't around yet. I have the same track on a Manticore box set promo sampler. It's pretty decent, but discrete would be much better.

Yep. I just checked the booklet that came with my ELP "The Return Of The Manticore" box set. The listing for Disc 1 Track 5, the re-recording of "Pictures At An Exhibition" says MIXED IN DOLBY SURROUND SOUND! I will have to give it a listen.

Yes, "Dolby Surround" indicates matrix-encoded surround, i.e. LCRS encoded to two channels as LtRt. "Pro Logic" is the consumer decoder used to extract the LCRS info from the LtRt matrix, not the encoded format, which is just "Dolby Surround."

Back