Stanyan House Web Site

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabble

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I stumbled across the Stanyan record label site http://www.stanyanhouse.com/stanyanhouse.asp and wanted to share it as they offer the Heins Hoffman-Richter SQ encoded electronic classic: "Music to Freak Your Friends and Break Your Lease" brand new.

I ordered one just to be sure before posting. Sure enough, it is labeled as SQ and when I play it through my Tate it encodes perfectly. I am guessing that it is old stock for I can't imagine the original pressing having sold out given the weirdness of the music. I'm not sure what other albums on the site may or may not be quad. They DO have what seems to be every album that Rod McKuen ever made (for some reason, I was under the impression that he released a few quad L.P.s). Also they sell CDs, some of which I know were originally released in SQ in the L.P. format (I'll list these titles in the matrix cd section).

Wow! Great find. Music to Freak Your Friends is a hoot!

I stumbled across the Stanyan record label site http://www.stanyanhouse.com/stanyanhouse.asp and wanted to share it as they offer the Heins Hoffman-Richter SQ encoded electronic classic: "Music to Freak Your Friends and Break Your Lease" brand new.

I ordered one just to be sure before posting. Sure enough, it is labeled as SQ and when I play it through my Tate it encodes perfectly. I am guessing that it is old stock for I can't imagine the original pressing having sold out given the weirdness of the music. I'm not sure what other albums on the site may or may not be quad. They DO have what seems to be every album that Rod McKuen ever made (for some reason, I was under the impression that he released a few quad L.P.s). Also they sell CDs, some of which I know were originally released in SQ in the L.P. format (I'll list these titles in the matrix cd section).

Hi! Have you transferred the QUAD lp to QUAD cd yet?

McKuen recorded for more labels than any artist I can remember, offhand. he was Dor (of Bob McFadden &) in 1958 on the novelty hit "The Mummy" (Brunswick); under his own name most of the way, with "Oliver Twist" (Spiral), and then on to dozens of albums. I have one each on Epic, Decca, World Pacific and Everest, and many on: Liberty, RCA Victor, Warner Bros. (solo or with the San Sebastian Strings, his primary 'pet project' you might say), of course the label he owned, Stanyan. The dude has been quite prolific!

My guess is that the Stanyan site belongs to Rod, he has someone else do the work, probably. He also has his own website, McKuen.com, which has a fairly comprehensive discography for U.S. albums.

As for the album noted, don't think I've ever heard it. Beyond however eclectic you believe McKuen to be (if you do), Stanyan, which was a stand alone label for other artists starting in 1970, released very eclectic stuff, and some more conventional (Cleo Laine) things.

ED :)

Music to Freak Your Friends & Break Your Lease by Hoffman Richter

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums...1390136_3843468533073526449_n_zpsomgdfolo.jpg

Back