ELP Brain Salad Surgery question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizmopeen

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
OKay, I've recently revisited this disc (I used to play the cr*p out of the LP years ago), and it seems like some of the vocals, notably from "Jerusalem" and "Benny the Bouncer", are different takes from the stereo mix I've come to know and love. Has anyone else noticed this? Can anyone else confirm, and perhaps give a little background if they know it? Just curious...

I've owned this album in every format; I think the vocals are the same. I do have the import Castle re-issue and those are different that the official mixes.

I'm so preoccupied with the sheer dynamic range of the instruments, the vocal nuances could get by me. This release was the reason that I had to have a DVD-A player. <g.

Have to admit that I haven't played it in a few months; playing Porcupine Tree - In Absentia quite a lot...

Referring to the DVD-A (which only has surround DVD-A and Dolby Digital versions). Benny the Bouncer is definitely a different vocal take from the original album.
Noticeable from the very first word. Not sure about Jerusalem, I'd have to do a comparison. There are also some new instrumental bits in the mix -- a piano chord rings out in one channel during a quiet part of 'Toccata' , that wasn't there on the original, for example. Also, most of the reverb has been removed from the vocal tracks an 'Karn Evil 9 Part III'

All in all it's a cool DVD-A. My only complaint is that they didn't include a stereo version -- but then again, I hadn't planned on selling the Rhino CD with the 'holographic' cover anyway.

There;s a Castle CD reissue out there that seems to be taken from a two-channel *fold-down* of the multichannel. Yikes. IIRC Castle replaced that with the standard mix, but IIRC they used the previous Victory digital master (which has a somewhat different EQ than the most recent Rhino edition).

but what about 'Toccata' on this DVD-A ?
The volume is too low , correct ?
And where is 'Hoedown' ?

Toccata sounds fine to me. If anything, the last section of it (after the synth drum solo) was too loud on some previous CD versions (notably the Victory remaster). The levels between sections are balanced better now

Hoedown was never on this album -- it's on the previous album, 'Trilogy'.

Or the album after it (WBMF) if the live Hoedown is being referenced. This started as discussion of the relative quality of the multiple versions of same/similar live material.

'Hoedown' is indeed from 'Trilogy'.
But on my Brain Salad Surgery-Dvd-A , the volume is on 'Toccata' IS too low.
I recently received 'Pictures At An Exhibition - classical ,not ELP' , on SACD .This COMPLETE album has a very low volume

timbre4 said:
Or the album after it (WBMF) if the live Hoedown is being referenced. This started as discussion of the relative quality of the multiple versions of same/similar live material.

Actually, from the looks of it *this* thread has always been about Brain Salad Surgery -- perhaps you are thinking of the 'thread about 'From the Front Row...Live'.

The WBMF performance of Hoedown is included on *that* DVD-A, albeit in a differerent mix.

kanakaris said:
'Hoedown' is indeed from 'Trilogy'.
But on my Brain Salad Surgery-Dvd-A , the volume is on 'Toccata' IS too low.
I recently received 'Pictures At An Exhibition - classical ,not ELP' , on SACD .This COMPLETE album has a very low volume

Given that two hi-rez releases sound 'too low' on your system, could it be that you need to calibrate your speaker levels for your 6-channel input? The Chesky
'Ultimate Surround' DVD-A can be used for that purpose.

My question isn't the same as the original 2004 post but it concerns the early DVD A. Got the BSS DVD Audio (large jewel case) earlier this week and while the disc looks very good it has problems I'm hoping others might know about. My home setup and Acura ELS "drop out" (the home receiver clicks as it does when searching for a signal) during the transition from Toccata to Still....YTMO, Benny The Bouncer to KE9 and between KE9 1st Impression and 2nd Impression etc. Also strangely during KE9 at 5:30 there is a serious "fade out". I'm going to send it back unless someone can tell me what's going on with this disc. I don't have issues like this with any of my many DVD A's. Whats going on here?

Hey m8, :)

I have had the orig BSS DVD-A since it came out. No technical probs at all. The only general problem is that they used a wrong vocal
take for "Benny". Sounds like your disc has a case of "disc rot". If bad on both car & home you may have a rotted disc... Sorry laddie.

Hey m8, :)

I have had the orig BSS DVD-A since it came out. No technical probs at all. The only general problem is that they used a wrong vocal
take for "Benny". Sounds like your disc has a case of "disc rot". If bad on both car & home you may have a rotted disc... Sorry laddie.

Maybe a case of Johnny Rott? (Sorry Cibola) OK, back to the Bat Cave and some manly faves from the 80's...:mad:@:

Thanks all, its going back. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, good news is despite the problems, the content is very nice, although Benny will be a skipper.

Thanks all, its going back. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, good news is despite the problems, the content is very nice, although Benny will be a skipper.

i LOVE Benny! That is why I paid $100 for the bloody new ELP BSS Box. Jakko did get Benny right in hi 5.1 mix and it WAS worth the price!

@PK: Manly 80's music? Like Wham or Boy George?:rolleyes: ...Drive through any wild fires lately? :yikes

My question isn't the same as the original 2004 post but it concerns the early DVD A. Got the BSS DVD Audio (large jewel case) earlier this week and while the disc looks very good it has problems I'm hoping others might know about. My home setup and Acura ELS "drop out" (the home receiver clicks as it does when searching for a signal) during the transition from Toccata to Still....YTMO, Benny The Bouncer to KE9 and between KE9 1st Impression and 2nd Impression etc. Also strangely during KE9 at 5:30 there is a serious "fade out". I'm going to send it back unless someone can tell me what's going on with this disc. I don't have issues like this with any of my many DVD A's. Whats going on here?

iirc this was one of the early Warner DVD-A's (the Foreigner debut album on DVD-A was another, I think?) where questionable authoring with certain tracks on the disc not in any logical sequence meant the player had to whizz about like crazy to access one track to the next causing these kinds of dropouts.

Interesting, I returned the disc and received a replacement this morning and guess what? It also drops out (as if the receiver is looking for a signal OR changing modes) between some tracks. This happens between Toccata and Still...YTMO as well as between Benny and KE9. Now, when I have the OPPO 93 set to display it shows that there is a transition from 5.0 MLP to 5.1 MLP and vice versa when this happens. For example KE9 1st is 5.1 and KE9 2nd is 5.0. I have no other discs that do this so I think fredblue is on to something.

Tracks 3, 4 & 6 are 5.0

Screen shot 2015-07-25 at 2.23.02 PM.jpg

FYI: The media player app Songbird will play any format from stereo to 5.1 and everything in between out of the correct channels with core audio left set to 5.1. You can mix and match in the same playlist and it just works. No glitches.

Many other media players make you set the system specifically for the channel format you want to play. No mix and match.

FYI: The media player app Songbird will play any format from stereo to 5.1 and everything in between out of the correct channels with core audio left set to 5.1. You can mix and match in the same playlist and it just works. No glitches.

Many other media players make you set the system specifically for the channel format you want to play. No mix and match.

I've foobar2000 on the PC but its not wired to my audio set-up! Anyway I thought that Songbird looks interesting but a search on the net revealed "Songbird announced on 14 June 2013 that it would stop all operations and shut down by 28 June. The company was unable to fund further business operations and as a result all operations and associated services have been discontinued"

Back