Carpenters: Now & Then - The Quad Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Well, I have to admit that part of me wants to shout this to the world, but alas not many would care - but I know some of you would.

I just had the rare pleasure to hold in my hands and play on my system the very rare Japanese quad reel of the Carpenters Album "Now & Then". All I can say is HOLY SHIT!! :eek:

As far as I am concerned, the SQ LP is an overpriced frisbee, and the Q8 is only good for spare parts to fix another A&M Q8, because this thing is incredible! It is SO discrete, and so clear and defined that I cannot begin to describe how it sounds.

I was able to take temporary custody of this reel from one of the worlds foremost quad collectors who graciously let me "borrow" it. Trusting someone with a rarity like this borders on insanity, but his generosity overcame his good sense. :D

I am sorry that I cannot play it for each and every one of you, but you'll just have to take my word for it - it is superb. I was never a huge Carpenters fan, but I did like this album with it's "oldies" montage, and it was conceived as a 4 channel project from the very begining. The vocals come at you from all around, with very precise positioning. Something about quad and harmonizing vocals go well together. I could listen to this thing all day!

I cannot imagine WHY this was not available in the US. It would have surely shown how HORRIBLE the SQ system really was, like most discrete tapes did. Sometimes I think that Columbia did not release Q4s for that reason alone.

I wonder if there is a list anywhere of all of the King Q4s. If anyone has one, if you could send it to me in an email, I will create a page here at QQ for it. I am working on a page for the Japanese CD-4s right now.

Anyway, here is the picture of the tape case, for you all to drool over. I figured that at least I would post the graphics for y'all to see. It's the LEAST I can do..

:banana:

P.S. If one of these comes out on eBay, look out!!! :mad:@:
P.P.S - Any QQ members also have this tape? If so, let us know your thoughts on it.

carp1.jpg

carp2.jpg

carp4.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
Malcolm2010 said:
Errmm....

Tab has this conversion already ..........

Malcolm
Yes, I too have Tabs conversion, and it's great as all of his work - but there is a large difference between a DTS 16/44 conversion and hearing the actual tape! Besides, how often do you see one of these in person? Have you EVER even seen a picture of one of these? :cool:

I tried buying one of these from a Japan exporter back in the day and they claimed it could not be sold to someone in the USA. I'm still disappointed. A&M in the USA quit doing reels right about the time this came out. The stereo version of this was the last A&M reel, except for Columbia House 3 3/4 junk, which doesn't count.

Were there any other US quad titles released on reel to reel in Japan only? I heard rumours of Rick Wakeman's 6 Wives once...

Now and Then is by far my favorite of the Carpenters Q8s. I can only imagine what the Q4 sounds like. Id crawl through broken glass to get a Q4 copy (along wth the Bridge over troubled water Q4)...All of my conversions are to Q4 reels because they are fantastic.

Probably, but they did issue more that were not released here. I had Bob do a reel of BB King live that is spectacular.

Were there any other US quad titles released on reel to reel in Japan only? I heard rumours of Rick Wakeman's 6 Wives once...

Even the Q8 were more expensive than the LP... while LP were going between 2200/2500 yen, q8 was at least 3000.

Back