HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA

• Total voters
Keenly,

From my perspective as an engineer what I see in your graphs is that there is a different x scale used on the middle one compared to the top and bottom. Secondly I see no Y scale.

My interpretation is that this will result in distorted X value comparisons as the Y lines will be closer together on the centre graph.

The lack of Y scale axis also prevents me from seeing whether the three graphs are displaying all the data or is the centre graph displaying from a lower Y limit.

Out of curiosity did you hear the compression and look at the data or look at the data and hear the compression?

I'm surprised I haven't voted on this one yet.

This is one of my favourite surround discs. Gets a thrashing in my car. It is 'A Classic - Must Have' yet I cannot give this a 10 as it does suffer from compression, especially compared to recent SW remixes.

I keep hoping for a new SW remix release to really open up both In Absentia and Deadwing. Also lacking in bass compared to the DVD concert versions of same songs.

I can't bring myself to vote on this. I want to give a 10 for content/music but it does not deserve 10 for fidelity/audio quality.

I know I've already said it but just reading your comment makes me comment that the fidelity is not that great.

I'm biased - I love PT and realize they are NOT all created equal....but I love them all. This one is no exception to me. I play the heck out of this and enjoy the way it sounds. It's not perfect, but it's good.

This is my third PT/ Steven Wilson album to listen to behind Lightbulb Sun and Hand Cannot Erase... I love the music, although the first half is much stronger than the second. However, I immediately noticed that it sounded much louder than the others I mentioned and had slightly less detail to my ears. I was suspicious of compression, and I guess it is confirmed (although I don't really know how to interpret those wave forms!) The surround mix is well done and I really enjoy it. I have to give this an 8 since the sound quality and musical content doesn't quite measure up to Lightbulb Sun (which I gave a 9) and Hand Cannot Erase (10). By the way, for me, the Alan Parsons Quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon is the standard by which all surround mixes are measured, so a 10 is tough to get!

Provoking some "waves" in their fanbase, In Absentia was a turning point for Porcupine Tree. Their sound became somewhat edgier, and more modern... And I love it! It also featured a change in the band's lineup, as drummer Gavin Harrison took over Chris Maitland's seat. In Absentia also brought something new to the table, as a year and a half after the original release date, a surround sound dvd-a of the album was released.

For me, there are a lot of highlights in this intricately written jewel: tracks like Blackest Eyes, Trains, Lips of Ashes, The Sound of Muzak, Gravity Eyelids, Heartattack in a Layby (wow...) and Drown with Me, come close to what I call "perfection".

If you can handle electric guitar riffs that borderline the "metal sound", without getting screechy, and are open to deeply moving vocal harmonies, then this album might as well become a favorite in your collection, as it is for me.

Content: 9
Mix: 10

Overall: 9.5 (rounded up to 10 for the poll)

This is top drawer material... highly recommended!

From the promise of "Lightbulb Sun" this came as an enormous disappointment. Something had changed. A new drummer? The demands of a bigger record label? Material being spread too thinly across a myriad of other projects? Whatever it was, "In Absentia" for me marks the down swing for PT. I rarely listen to it now. As usual the surround mix does the job, even if the sonics don't really measure up.

@ClintEastwood: Thanks for the tip. Love ya Blue! (y)

My favorite PT record although it did get compressed a bit much.

Blackest Eyes is the best rock anthem since Alice Cooper's School's Out, IMHO.

Although a bit too heavy on the metal side for a silly Elton John fanboy like myself, it get's a 9.5(.5 off for compression)

Must have DVD-A.

With the new info about the center channel being inverted, wouldn't the phase cancellation result in lesser dynamics to some degree? I've never used the Dynamic Range Meter, but would be interested in the results if someone else has the corrected version and can check it. I'd imagine it's better, although I think a big part of that is just inherent in the mastering.

Listening through the whole album now and it does sound much better than I've ever heard before.

I'm listening to this disc for the first time in quite a while and on my new player it doesn't sound as compressed as I used to think it was.....maybe my new player's helping smooth the sound out.[I gave it a 9 btw]

I'm very late coming to PT. But I haven't really heard any that I don't like! Not sure how I missed them other than the first 11 years of this century were very hectic/bad as I got laid off twice and retired. Anyway, nuff about that :
For In Absentia, I gave it a 10.
Given time, and if I were comparing against only other PT I might change my mind some, but I still have In Absentia, Deadwing, FOABP, Lightbulb Sun & Stupid Dream in rotation, and haven't gotten to The Incident yet. I have some Steven Wilson BR's but haven't listened to those either.
Good stuff! Just wish I'd been listening all these years they have been out.

I'm surprised to see that 68 members have given 10/10 for this release!

It's been confirmed on other forums that the center and LFE channels have a phase problem - it's inverted - which affects the low end of this surround mix.
Here's a link: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-re-released-2018.717772/page-2#post-18298479

By the way, this mix is seriously good and I also love it, regardless of the phase problem.
Hopefully it will soon be soon released a corrected version.

Whoa, I've never voted on this beast! I remember liking it and having no discernible bass issues. Maybe some systems handle bass management in a way that mitigates the phasing problem?
Which isn't to say that if I heard a corrected version it might sound even better. Either way, I'd probably give the existing disc an 8 or 9. I'll wait to vote until I've heard it again.
Very good album. Very good mix. Well worth acquiring for a non-crazy price.

Finally snapped this one up at an acceptable price ($31- and a sealed copy no less!). I gave it a 9.

I fixed the phase problem on the center before my first listen- doesn't seem to make that much of a difference when played back on my system, but when soloing channels on Audacity you can tell something's up.

This is my first foray into PT/Steven Wilson and it really is great- think sort of a Metallica/Pink Floyd crossover. Throughout the album you'll find that high-octane riffing, neat sound effects, and introspective lyrics all come together for a very unique and enjoyable experience.

I would agree that the first half of the album is much stronger than the second. The transition to the much darker/proggier/heavier second half is a bit jarring at first, but I think I'm starting to get it.

My favorite tracks are "Blackest Eyes", "Trains", "The Sound Of Muzak", "Prodigal", and "Drown With Me".

Scheiner's mix is brilliant! Some great moments include the panning handclaps in "Trains", the backing vocals blasting in from the rears during the chorus of "Prodigal", and overdubbed vocals entering from each corner of the room in "Drown With Me".

Regarding a possible future reissue, I think it would be best to simply reissue this mix with quieter mastering and the phase problem corrected. I'm not sure the surround could be improved, but it would be interesting to hear Wilson's own take on the material.

"Trains":
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.54.50 AM.png

"Drown With Me":
Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 10.55.35 AM.png

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see that 68 members have given 10/10 for this release!

It's been confirmed on other forums that the center and LFE channels have a phase problem - it's inverted - which affects the low end of this surround mix.
Here's a link: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-re-released-2018.717772/page-2#post-18298479

By the way, this mix is seriously good and I also love it, regardless of the phase problem.
Hopefully it will soon be soon released a corrected version.
I don't have/need a sub, so I have never noticed the "phase" issue. Really liked this album for a long time. 10/10 from me..

I don't have/need a sub, so I have never noticed the "phase" issue. Really liked this album for a long time. 10/10 from me..

The center channel is also inverted and it contains plenty bass and drums. I noticed a huge difference once I ripped my copy and corrected the inverted phase. From when I first heard it I thought it sounded superb for clarity and mix but always felt it sounded very weak in the bass department. I had always put it down to me not using a subwoofer but then I read about the phase issues and it made complete sense. It's amazing how often this kind of thing happens during mastering/authoring.

Back