HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA

• Total voters
May 10th
DVD-Audio
I saw a presale but I can't recall the site....GUY R would know. It was $14.99US

selder said:
Has anyone seen these guys in concert? And are they going to tour the US?

Yes, and yes.

I saw them three times in fairly small clubs (500 people maximum). The last time was 2003 I believe and skipped the very last time they came through here in Chicago because I had just seen them few months earlier (the fact that they were to play a much larger venue didn't help matters either).

Porcupine Tree is going to embark on a U.S. Tour sometime in May to coincide with the release of "Deadwing". The dates are not on their website yet.

Thanks for the reply I will check out the website. I asked because with the complexity of the music I wonder how well its pulled off in concert. I would hate to be disappointed and find their just another band using computers and cant actually perform to the same level. I have the live cd from Italy and thats pretty well done so Im anxious to snap up as many opportunities to see these guys as possible.
Also the artwork on the DVD-A disc is awesome, especially the Trains photo. I would love to purchase a framed print somewhere. ]
Can you please reply with your impressions of their live concerts?

Manmc said:
This disc shaved about 20 years off my age :D , feels like. Its the most refreshing sound Ive heard in years. Which , of course, just makes me even more pi**ed off with all the messing around about the exact formats/release dates/availability/info relating to 'Deadwing' (n)

I still haven't found a way of pre-ordering this. I appreciate that the band are out on tour , so whoever's representing them should be shot IMO. Looking thru their back catalogue and the amount of time they've been around ( without me ever hearing about them ) , they've probably never been as hot and yet there's still not been ,AFAIK, a DEFINITIVE announcement of whats coming and details of how to order :mad:

They and we deserve better;
Regarding 'In Absentia', if you don't own it , WHY NOT ?

M
found it
http://www.sendmemovies.com/cgi-bin...urnt1_d.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,DB_CATALOG=DTS1130DVDA

Many thanks for that Dave. I read on a forum somewhere that there is to be an announcement this week from the bands management regarding the much-rumoured limited edition and confirming once and for all the release date(s). Cd universe now have 2 editions listed as cds , one at 10$ the other at 35$. No details of any ....eh.....details :)

M

selder said:
with the complexity of the music I wonder how well its pulled off in concert. I would hate to be disappointed and find their just another band using computers and cant actually perform to the same level....Can you please reply with your impressions of their live concerts?

I just checked to be sure and the last time I saw them was November 17th, 2002. I didn't realize it had been that long. They played a large chunk of "In Absenthia" as well as other past material.

I assure you, they play all of their instruments live and quite competently. I'm sure that Richard Barbieri--the keyboard player--has some strange computerized tape effects that he throws in there, but what you see is a real live band. No drum machines, just four musicians and a crude but adequately psychedelic light show. If you like their music, you will not be disappointed.

CDuniverse has the DVD-A for preorder[/QUOTE]

They also have a near $30 version listed as a CD only ?? Could this be CD/DVD-A ? I've also read on a forum that there is rumoured to be a Dvd-V/CD/Book version , could it be that ?? Bearing in mind that the European release CD date is next week I think they shoul be able to clarify the details on these various releases by now.

Very shoddy record company / PR
IMO

M

Thats a steep price hike for 1 or 2 extra songs then ?
Time will tell , I guess , but I'm not ordering anything until I know for sure whats on them.

M

Just noticed the new Porcupine Tree site has gone live and they're taking orders for a special dvd-v and cd and book version of 'Deadwing' if anyones interested :

http://www.porcupinetree.com/

Pity its not the dvd-a , but still . Really looking forward to this.

M

I like this album. Jethro Tull meets Nirvana by way of Bruce Dickinson in full Skunkworks mode (now that would be a prime candidate for a surround version). Oh yes. Buy it. These people rock. I have the CD version currently of Deadwing, and await the surround with baited breath.

Please let us know if this disc set is worth the $30+p&h. Im tempted to pick it up but after buying several of P Tree's earlier material Im a little hesitant.
In Absentia is an awesome disc but theres a big difference between albums!!

Just thought I would post requesting others opinions of Deadwing. I cant wait to pick it up on dvd-a. This again is the type of recording that gets better with every replay. It doesnt measure up to In Absentia but thats impossible, it does however come close and I cant wait till June 8th when I get to see them live at the Fillmore, SF. (y)

selder said:
Just thought I would post requesting others opinions of Deadwing.
Would be smart to do that in a separate thread (in the DVD-A section?) or wait till there's a poll here.

This was my first exposure to PT :phones

FANTASTIC!!!!!! :banana:

The entire package is what I needed. Give it a 10 (y)

Back