HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA

• Total voters
This title completely blew me away. It is one I come back to time and time again. I gave it a 10 without a speck of hesitation. But, you know what they say, different strokes and all that...

QR-GUY said:
I agree. I listened to cd three times and thought the sound and mix were very impressive. The music has some really good parts but then it's all down hill from there. Probably never listen to again.

Thank you. So I am not the only one.
I listened not only to this record of PT. Older records are too Pink Floyd-Clone for me.
I saw them live, nothing special, sorry.
So not my taste of music (And I am a big fan of progressive/psychedelic music, but neo-prog doesn't do it for me, I prefer the original 70s Bands).

Guy Robinson said:
Okay so Bloop said he listened to the record and QR-Guy said he listened to the CD. Did you guys actually listen to the DVD-A?
Yes, I did listen to the DVD-A. I think the sound quality and multi-channel mix are excellent on this album. I really like the song "Prodigal". But the rest of the album just had some good parts. I'm looking for new music that I can enjoy listening to the whole album. Sorry, but this is just my opinion. I still think I gave this one a "7".

QR-GUY said:
Yes, I did listen to the DVD-A. I think the sound quality and multi-channel mix are excellent on this album. I really like the song "Prodigal". But the rest of the album just had some good parts. I'm looking for new music that I can enjoy listening to the whole album. Sorry, but this is just my opinion. I still think I gave this one a "7".

This is one that gets better the more you listen to it and become familair with it. I fiind those types of discs better than the ones that you instantly like. Those tend to wear off and get old fast.

Guy Robinson said:
This is one that gets better the more you listen to it and become familair with it. I fiind those types of discs better than the ones that you instantly like. Those tend to wear off and get old fast.

Alright, I'm going to give it another chance. If it doesn't get better or my ears start bleeding, I'll have to use this cd for a frisbee or a coaster.

Hey Guys! You can't kill someone for giving a disc a "7"! The point is to get varying opinions. It only ruins things when people vote "1" for reasons other than the poor quality of the disc in question.

Remember, REEL opinions (ugh!) are always welcome! :D

timbre4 said:
Okay.... so you're the only TWO.

Again, what do you think is great so we can rain on your parade?

Oh, grow up. There's 'waste of plastic' and other negatives as an option in the poll, do you think they should be abolished because it might kill your buzz?

I've been listening to prog for several decades now, since the early 70's. I've had the opportunity to see PT live twice. Gong frankly *blew them away* the first time (it was the first time I'd seen Gong too), and the second time they opened for Yes, but I didn't bother to show up in time for PT. "Signify', the one album of theirs I own, has some good stuff but doesn't rock my world the way lots of other prog does. I'm going to give 'In Absentia' a shot since there's so little surround prog out there, but I reserve the option of being unimpressed, and saying so, sorry.

I voted on this one weeks ago, and think I gave it a 9 - but only because of temporary stupidity. This disc is a definite 10. The longer I own it the better I like it. This is one of the few dvd-a/sacds that I would own in stereo if mch did not exist. The mix is fantastic. I know the sound quality has been brought into question, but on my system I love the sound - it's dark and somewhat dirty, but I think that's the intent. It's also a HUGE sound that I find impressive every time I listen to it.

Finally got round to buying this disc, mainly on the strength of the comments here.

And I am so glad I did. Right from the way the opening track starts off in the rears and kicks into that oh-so tight riff, you know you are onto a winner with this disc. It has been played almost nonstop the last couple of days, and there are some great ideas in it.
Thought about giving it a 9 because of the 24/48 version instead of 24/96, but decided instead that at least there was courage of conviction there by not using the higher rate, and went for the full 10.

It sounds superb, is well presented - nothing too flashy, nut lose half a mark for music in the menu system. I hate that. But the rest of the album makes up for it, IMHO.
If you don't already own it - why don't you?:banana: :banana:

Fabulous disk. One of if not the best new (to me) groups I have listened to. I gave it a conservative rating because I have a headache and I feel like it LOL

I gave it an 8, it probably needs a 9 or 10.

After reading the posts here I have to chime in with my opinion as well.

This is the best surround disc I have heard yet! Its been out for quite a while now and I still listen to it constantly. Its most impressive when you sit with your eyes closed in the center of the room with the sound cranked and just get completely enveloped by the experience.

Blackest eyes is a great opening song, the drums fantastic!

The acoustic guitar and handclap surround on Trains is incredible as it circles around the room.

"The sound of Muzak" speaks to the decay of music today, I'm 44 and have been pretty disillusioned with most music these days but this band has given me hope!

Heartattack in a layby has a chorus /round toward the end that alternates around the room which is simply amazing. The song has special resonance to me as it reminds me of a broken relationship I wish I hadnt ruined.

The bass lead in on .3 and the final climax are adrenalin rushes rarely experienced.

Steven Wright's songwriting and musicianship are pure genious. :banana: :banana: :banana:

selder said:
After reading the posts here I have to chime in with my opinion as well.

"

Steven Wright's songwriting and musicianship are pure genious. :banana: :banana: :banana:
Steve Wilson....Steven Wright is that comedian that speaks in a monotone. ;)

"I'm 44 and have been pretty disillusioned with most music these days but this band has given me hope!"

Welcome to the forum, selder.

You are right. I'm 56 and this is the best band to come to my attention in a long, long time.

We are all waiting for Deadwing to keep us happy. :phones

Bob R said:
"I'm 44 and have been pretty disillusioned with most music these days but this band has given me hope!"

Welcome to the forum, selder.

You are right. I'm 56 and this is the best band to come to my attention in a long, long time.

We are all waiting for Deadwing to keep us happy. :phones
Yeah.......40 here, and have not had this much anticipation for a new release for a long time. Too bad us surround guys have to wait till May! But at least we're getting it! :banana:

In Abstentia is one of the best surround dvda's ever.

I'm also on pins and needles awaiting the release of "Deadwing".

This disc shaved about 20 years off my age :D , feels like. Its the most refreshing sound Ive heard in years. Which , of course, just makes me even more pi**ed off with all the messing around about the exact formats/release dates/availability/info relating to 'Deadwing' (n)

I still haven't found a way of pre-ordering this. I appreciate that the band are out on tour , so whoever's representing them should be shot IMO. Looking thru their back catalogue and the amount of time they've been around ( without me ever hearing about them ) , they've probably never been as hot and yet there's still not been ,AFAIK, a DEFINITIVE announcement of whats coming and details of how to order :mad:

They and we deserve better;
Regarding 'In Absentia', if you don't own it , WHY NOT ?

M

Back