HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
To kick off this new weekly feature of QuadraphonicQuad, we start with a group that I had never heard of. After reading many recommendations from members here and over at SH, I bought the disc and found that I liked it a lot!

The music is great, and the use of surround is impressive. In my opinion, this disc is a classic example of how surround can work.

Please leave your comments in this thread, and vote accordingly. Rate the disc as an OVERALL package, surround and quality of music. It would be too tricky to have seperate ratings for both. If you have more to describe, put that in your post. Over time, we should build up a nice pile of posts that can be used as a quick reference for new people just getting into Hi-Rez.

Remember, everyone join in, esp those who read but never post, even if you just say "It's great", or "It Sucks"! :D

2020 3CD/Blu-Ray edition packshot:
81d4evOfPNL._SL1500_.jpg

Attachments

• ptree.jpg
    ptree.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 846
Last edited by a moderator:
I gave it a 9. The mixing/imaging is excellent (10) The sound quality is very good for a 24/48 but not as good as some 24/96 (8).

I enjoy it, particulary the first half, with great surround harmonies on the vocals, But the second half kinda drags on for me. But over all i enjoy it.

This is my favourite DVD-A/SACD and has been so since it was released. The mix is a 9, the music a 10 and the quality(sonically) a 7 or so in comparison to the best examples out there (which would naturally be a 10).

Holly Molly ! :D

I think this is the way 5.1 multi channel should sound. Start off with the three fronts speading the soundstage across you, and remember that music should be in stereo. Then take the two fronts and pull them around your ears with the surrounds so that you think you are wearing headphones.

No gimmiky rear effects, they are there to fill the room, not to draw your attention. Although "Trains" ended up with the hand clapping in the right rear, just like I thought they would do.

Since I am intimate with this album I started off with the videos. The first was the band on stage with some nice effects, the other two, well think Tool.

Then I just submerged myself into a great, great album. (did I say great?)

Wonderfully produced, hats off to Steven Wilson.

If you own only one Porcupine Tree Disc, this is the one to have.

Lets see, there are only 10 stars avaailable .... I'll give it eleven!

I have told so many people about this band in the last 3 years! I came in with Stupid Dream which ranks with In Absentia as their strongest most accessable material. Lightbulb Sun in between is almost as good, just different.

This is a fully realized 5.1 mix that I could only have dreamed of.

The bonus tracks are great especially Drown With Me which I must get an mp3 of soon.

Lastly, I arranged a business trip so that I could see the band live in Oct 2002 when the In Absentia album and tour had just begun. Superb! Their tour guitarist Wesley signed my CD booklet after the show; what a great night.

Watch for Stupid Dream and/or Lightbulb Sun to surface in 5.1 mixes before too long.

One of the best all-time uses of surround sound. I like the music alot too. Not as much as some of Porcupine Tree's back catologue material, but I must admit that I listen to that stuff alot less since it's not yet been given the 5.1 treatment like "In Absentia". I've seen these guys in Chicago three times already and they are overdue to return. I will be there when they do and will mention how great of a job was done on this release if I get the chance (of course I would most importantly also encourage MORE surround mixes of their fairly large back catalogue) ;) .

I give it MAX!

DTS Entermaint has another winner and the mix is superb...

Musically, amazing! If people were still LISTENING to music instead of aerobisizing to it, these guys would be superstars. Mixwise, again, amazing! Scheiner does it again. Sonically it's a bit of a mixed bag....I think a few studios were used which may have contributed to the variance in quality from track to track.....but overall....a 9!

One of the few 'newer' releases to take full advantage of the hi-rez format!
I give it a 10!
Love the surround mix on the song-"Strip the Soul"!

timw said:
One of the few 'newer' releases to take full advantage of the hi-rez format!
I give it a 10!
Love the surround mix on the song-"Strip the Soul"!
The video SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME!

bloop said:
I cannot understand the hype of this record.
The music is boring to me.
I agree. I listened to cd three times and thought the sound and mix were very impressive. The music has some really good parts but then it's all down hill from there. Probably never listen to again.

So what does impress you musically?

I find Porcupine Tree's output is great because it defies formula yet remains catchy in unusual ways. It appeals to me because I like many old prog bands and feel let down with any number of neo-prog bands. Without memorable tunes, great chops are meaningless. Porcupine Tree puts the time and effort into the writing and production is used to great effect. As a musician, they impress me because they can also write...

In Absentia is most accessable during the first 4 or 5 tracks, then gets considerably darker. I usually play the whole thing, sometimes skipping ahead to the bonus tracks. I especially like Drown With Me.

The last three albums (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and In Absentia) are clearly more vocal oriented and are roughly 80-90% accessable and the remainder may be not-so-easy listening.

Somber, morose, introspective maybe but never boring.

Reactions: GOS
QR-GUY said:
I agree. I listened to cd three times and thought the sound and mix were very impressive. The music has some really good parts but then it's all down hill from there. Probably never listen to again.
I must say I am flabbergasted. I don't expect us to all have the same tastes, but this is one damn fine disc! Oh well.....I hate lobster, so there....

Back