HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - THE NIGHTFLY [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Donald Fagen - THE NIGHTFLY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
You can't compare modern digitial recordings (such as those done by AIX using modern equipment and techniques at 24-bit/96kHz) to legacy digital recordings (such as Nightfly using first generation digital equipment and techniques at 16-bit/50kHz). Of course the difference is going to be night and day...

I'm not so certain that the album could be made more "perfect" with EQ tweaking. Personally, I'm thankful they left well enough alone.

You can't compare modern digitial recordings (such as those done by AIX using modern equipment and techniques at 24-bit/96kHz) to legacy digital recordings (such as Nightfly using first generation digital equipment and techniques at 16-bit/50kHz).

I'm not. I was referring to AIX in the context of the use/non-use of EQ. Scheiner definitely made his EQ decisions in mixing this title and it is what it is - which once again makes for a damn good album and mix, but not without it's probs IMHO.

Felix E. Martinez said:
I'm not. I was referring to AIX in the context of the use/non-use of EQ. Scheiner definitely made his EQ decisions in mixing this title and it is what it is - which once again makes for a damn good album and mix, but not without it's probs IMHO.
Fair enough, but I'm not so certain you can fix legacy digital limitations with EQ. I'm sure EQ considerations had more to do with artistry and less to do with an attempt to overcome technical limitations inherent in the recording. My experience has been that attempts to fix the latter usually do more harm than good.

Fair enough, but I'm not so certain you can fix legacy digital limitations with EQ. I'm sure EQ considerations had more to do with artistry and less to do with an attempt to overcome technical limitations inherent in the recording. My experience has been that attempts to fix the latter usually do more harm than good.
You're right - you can definitely improve something into a failure! However, I would not have believed what was possible with today's floating 64-bit EQs had I not gone back to re-mix a flawed recording originated on a first generation 16-bit digital DA-88 machine.

In wonder if Rhino will start re-issuing these DVD-As as CD+DVD-A sets going forward...? Have to make a call ;)

I wonder if they'll keep producing the titles they've already done at all. It would be nice if they did.

I just received this DualDisc DVD-A. I now have Fagen's 3 solo DVD-A's and "Gaucho" and I am really impressed with these discs. A solid 9 for this one and I would have to really think about which of the 4 is my favorite but this one has to be close. Everybody involved including Warner has done a great job.

Chris

Hmmm. Nightfly DualDisc is a "test market" title - nice catch!. I don't think it ever came out for real. If you look close, you can see one of the test market Nightflys in our QQ banner, just above the Dolby Digital logo.

Hmmm. Nightfly DualDisc is a "test market" title - nice catch!. I don't think it ever came out for real. If you look close, you can see one of the test market Nightflys in our QQ banner, just above the Dolby Digital logo.

I ordered the DVD-A four times and the DualDisc once, the DVD-A was cancelled all four times by the vendors. This DualDisc was new and sealed, it sure looked like an official release. Amazon Marketplace had two used DualDiscs in addition to the new one I purchased. As far as I can tell, the DVD side is identical to the DVD-A release.

Chris

I ordered the DVD-A four times and the DualDisc once, the DVD-A was cancelled all four times by the vendors. This DualDisc was new and sealed, it sure looked like an official release. Amazon Marketplace had two used DualDiscs in addition to the new one I purchased. As far as I can tell, the DVD side is identical to the DVD-A release.

Chris

Here is a picture of the original test market DualDisc. I purchased this one at a Best Buy in Framingham, MA during the initial test marketing a few years ago.

Attachments

• nightfly.jpg
    nightfly.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 260
Here is a picture of the original test market DualDisc. I purchased this one at a Best Buy in Framingham, MA during the initial test marketing a few years ago.

Yes, that is the one I have with the same sticker. I paid $20 including shipping although I had ordered the DVD-A at $13 including shipping several times. I was afraid the price might get worse. Is it correct that the DVD side is the same as the straight DVD-A release?

Chris

Just realized that I hadn't voted on this. It's a 10. Typical Fagen/Steely Dan production. Crisp, tight with lots of bass. This is probably his strongest effort even though I like Morph the Cat a whole lot.

The Music For a Song store in Branson, MO had the DualDisc when I was in the store this last weekend. The manager said he got 32 in and sent 29 back. Apparently he has a lot of Donald Fagen fans shop there but DualDiscs don't sell well for him.

Chris

Was this ever released widely?
In other words, can I get one?

I don't think it was widely released but I just bought the "Nightfly" DualDisc recently and saw one at the Music for a Song store in Branson, Missouri last weekend. It looks exactly like the picture Jon posted. The price there was $17.99. I do need to go back and pick up a couple of used SACD's at the affiliated Music for Less at another outlet mall in Branson. I will likely play golf in Branson Thursday weather permitting and could work out something if you want that one.

The Music for a Song store is at the Tanger Outlet Mall in Branson although I had only planned to go to the Music for Less store a mile away at the Red Roof outlet mall. I didn't check if they also had it but that would not surprise me since for some odd reason whatever company that is has two record stores in the same small tourist town. These two record stores have had a few used SACD and DVD-A's recently but are a pain to find in the hundreds of used CD's. If interested, you might call the stores and see what they can do. Hold it for me to pick up if they don't ship and I expect they don't. The manager at the Music for a Song store definitely knows what the DualDisc is and should recall his most recent conversation with me.

Chris

Well the weather here was awesome, so I played golf today. I did stop by the Music4Less store and they had 2 unopened "Nightfly" DualDiscs. David Rankin, the store manager said he thought the discs could be ordered through the music4less website, but I sure couldn't figure out how to find them when I only briefly looked at www.music4less.com. The store phone number is 417-335-3890. He also indicated the same thing as the other store manager, they had a bunch of that particular disc available.

The stores have some other hard to find discs but I don't know if there is enough business for one store, much less two so close together.

Chris

Picked this up recently (this week) on the Amazon marketplace factory sealed and only £11. Thats abot $200 current exchange rates :) (Shocker log ?)

I can not argue withanyone who has reviewed this title nice sound great mix, nice music better songs that Morph IMHO. Ill give it a 9

Back