HiRez Poll Fagen, Donald - THE NIGHTFLY [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Donald Fagen - THE NIGHTFLY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Waste of plastic

• Total voters
I bought the MVI box strictly for the bonus CD. I already owned the 3 DVD-A's.

Fred, if there's no 5.1 on Chicago, then what are the extras? Is it DD or DTS 2.0? I didn't buy this because there were no 5.1 markings, and I already had it on CD.

...i think Warner released this and a Chicago MVI set (with no 5.1 on it) and then quickly/quietly dumped the format.

Thanks, I'll check it out. This is the first album I listened to. I was about 5 when my dad gave me the CD to listen to, and he made sure I listen with the best headphones, and the WHOLE album. I've been an audiophile (and Steely Dan / Don Fagen fan) ever since. To hear this in surround is probably mind-blowing as well.

Definitely worth getting the 5.1 Surround Sound SACD from Warner Japan if you don't have the DVD-A version. But I'd grab it soon as the 5.1 Surround Sound SACD is probably a limited edition pressing which will be on the "eBay Shocker List" soon once the current SACD copies sell out !

love this disc.
thought that this was a great package.
hi-rez audio + music video (standard cd audio)
was hoping that this would be the norm for this format,
but dvd-a died from neglect.

Well, in a few days, I will finally be able to add this great disc to my collection, as I bit the bullet and bought the SACD since it's dropped to its "lowest" price on amazon (@ $35, still not cheap by any means, but at least it's a bit better…)

Now if only I can find that Doobie Brothers "Captain and Me" 5.1 SACD for a good price, I think I might be set as far as these Japanese SACDs go :)

Well, in a few days, I will finally be able to add this great disc to my collection, as I bit the bullet and bought the SACD since it's dropped to its "lowest" price on amazon (@ $35, still not cheap by any means, but at least it's a bit better…)

Now if only I can find that Doobie Brothers "Captain and Me" 5.1 SACD for a good price, I think I might be set as far as these Japanese SACDs go :)

I found that playing it will make the pain go away (y)

love this disc.
thought that this was a great package.
hi-rez audio + music video (standard cd audio)
was hoping that this would be the norm for this format,
but dvd-a died from neglect.

All dvd audio died from Sony's efforts not neglect. Sony saturated the market with sacd and then once it was popular, dropped it. Dvd audio also needed special equipment that no one wanted to get into. It took some brains and thinking well beyond average. Still various makers will do both formats, sacd more these days, go figure.

The Captain & Me Surround SACD is In Stock and Available from East West Import for $30.
See the thread in the SACD Multichannel Forum at https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...lifornia-amp-Rumors-Multichannel-SACDs-for-30

Always loved this in stereo, just snagged a used DVD-A. Paid a bit too much, but man, what a roomful of gorgeous sound! An unqualified improvement over the original 2 channels. Lush, expansive and tastefully discrete in typical Elliot Scheiner style, my favorite Don solo work as well. 9 for me.

-- Jim

I like maybe 4 of the tracks. Content - 8
Surround mix superb - 10
Sound (tonality etc) - DVD-Audio - 8 - a tiny bit clinical or thin
Sound (tonality etc) - SACD - 10 - warm, good bass
So for me it's a 9

One of those great recordings I only came across thanks to the surround hobby. I highly doubt I ever would've checked out anything Fagen/Steely Dan if not for quad or 5.1, as it's kind of a far cry from what I usually listen to. Scheiner's work is brilliant as always and while there are some catchy tunes and I love the nostalgic concept that underpins the album, I can't seem to ever sit through the whole thing. There's no denying that the musicianship and engineering are amazing though.

I've put together a few Fagen/Dan compilation discs from all their surround releases and "New Frontier" always makes the cut along with a few others from this album. It's a real shame what happened with the potential rollout of their catalogue in surround...Pretzel Logic in quad is perhaps the greatest surround disappoint and I'm sure the completed ES mix we'll never hear is fantastic.

I'm listening the Japan SACD BTW.

Last edited:
I have the Nightfly Trilogy box. So what is that DVD-A? Something else? It doesn't really say, I don't think. No matter, the audio is excellent. Easy "10". Love the album. And the sound and surround mix get none better.

One of my most played surround discs. "Maxine" in surround is system-demo material.

Back