HiRez Poll About This Section - 2007

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Greetings to all,

I had been thinking about the original "Multichannel Poll and ways to improve the concept. I had also been thinking about a section like this for some time now, so I finally gave it a shot with the Porcupine Tree disc, and it seemed to go over well.

From time to time, I will add from discs to this section. Hopefully, as each new release comes out of major significance, I will make an entry and we can get feedback from those who jump on them quickly. However, since disc releases have pretty much dried up, it may be a while before we see many new desirable titles in surround HiRez. :(

To keep the format structured, I have created this forum so that users cannot start their own thread, only reply to them. This way there will be a uniform style to each entry.

If you have a title that you would like to see included, send me a PM and I'll add it to queue for addition to the list.

One request, it should be a title that is:

1) Surround
2) a "mainstream" title, not something like the "Jugbands of the Tennesee Highlands" SACD :D

At any rate, here is a great opportunity for you lurkers to add to the forum without having to type anything, as you can just vote and be done with it. Leaving a comment on the title is strictly optional, however, you do have to be registered to vote.

Thanks Again for your participation, and stay tuned for more stuff happening at QQ in the coming months.

To see a chart of running totals, click here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQHiRezPoll2004.htm

PLEASE DON'T VOTE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SPECIFIC TITLE!! :smack:

Thanks!

I like this poll section. Good idea. It appears that you can't see the results of the poll unless you vote on the disc, and you can't vote on the disc unless you have the disc. I think the value of this poll is for someone to see what others think before buying the disc. It may also be of value to judge the music and recording separately, but of couse this would take a little more effort. Thanks.

There should be a small link called VIEW RESULTS if you have not voted. Look for it over on the right side of the poll area.

I will check myself and see.

As for music/recording: That would be nice, but vBulletin only allows one poll per post, and to do that there would have to be two polls per title, so I suggest using the REPLY function to add comments about the music and recording qualities, as some have already done.

:-jon

I like this section also. Really nice to see what others think about the different discs, and to give your own opinion. :)

As a veteran poll lover/creator myself, this is a very cool section! (y)

Has this ever been done for old Quad vinyl? Haven't had a chance to check out the archives....

Can't imagine why anyone would vote for something they haven't heard.... :p

ED :)

FYI:

vBulliten does not let you see the results if you have not voted on purpose. Their thinking is along the lines of not having YOUR vote influenced by what others have voted. Of course, you can still see the results by clicking on the link.

Also, I am planning on creating a single web page with these poll results for a "quick reference"! More on that later. :mad:@:

----

Thanks Ed! I have not created the same thing for the quad-era stuff. I am not sure that folks are interested. Maybe they are? My main goal was to have a place for newbie HiRez surround folks to get an idea on a disc BEFORE they buy.

I suppose I should put some Silverlines up soon. Then the shit will hit the fan! :D

("Shit, can he say that?")

Jon,

Good evening! :sun

First of all...um, Silverline, huh? :D The INSIDE THE MUSIC discs would make for interesting polls, provided there's any interest...but no, listing the Searchers would be an exercise in fear and loathing the likes of which this board has never seen...and it ain't the only one we'd eviscerate either, though it would serve them right!

Yeah, with vBully, there is only an option for allowing those who have already voted to see the results AND, you can check mark while doing the poll so that one can click on a number and see who voted for what, which precludes any 'silent' voting, though I've never understood why anyone would vote and then not say what or why they did!

I know a few of the freeware programs allow non-voters to see the results, but my feeling is, if you wanna see, vote, regardless of whether the software allows it. Besides, as for influencing one's vote, you can just sit back and wait for some replies to see how the wind is blowing...but I always vote my real feelings, anyway, I'm too old to be swayed by anything other than my own contrary opinion!

And yeah, the guy who runs the board can say 'shit'...so can anyone else if he's cool with it, heh....

I have voted for all the SACD's and DVD-A's that i own, and added a coment as well. But it also nice to see the polls results as a refrence for discs you don't have, thererfore can't vote on, so you can see at a glance what others opinions are about the discs you might be thinking about buying. Of course reading the comments is very helpful also.

MIDIQ said:
I have voted for all the SACD's and DVD-A's that i own, and added a coment as well. But it also nice to see the polls results as a refrence for discs you don't have, thererfore can't vote on, so you can see at a glance what others opinions are about the discs you might be thinking about buying. Of course reading the comments is very helpful also.
But you ARE able to see the results if you don't vote. There should be a link in the voting area. See the screen shot below..............

Attachments

• vote.gif
    vote.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 606
JonUrban said:
But you ARE able to see the results if you don't vote. There should be a link in the voting area. See the screen shot below..............
Yes, I am aware of this, and use it, and it is very helpful. I might have misunderstood others comments, but it sounded like they wanted you to see the results only if you voted on the disc. I like the way you have it set up now, I was just trying to say that i hope you wouldn't change it to the other way. THANKS. :)

A NOTE ON VOTING

Please, do our membership a favor.

Do not vote a low score if you do not like the artist
Do not vote a low score if you do not like a format
Do not vote a low score just to "screw things up"
Do not vote if you do not own or have not heard a title, just because you like or dislike the artist/format/recording.

I would like a low score to MEAN SOMETHING. If a disc has all 10s, 9s, 8s, and a single "1", then something is amiss. The score is supposed to include all variables, content, production, and surround mix. If 40 people rate it over 7, and one guy rates it as a "1", that does not make sense. If 40 people rate it over 7, and one guy rates it a "5", that makes more sense.

Please, be courteous in your voting, and just because you do not like a disc does not make it a "1", however, if it REALLY SUCKS :D, then by all means rate it a "1".

For example, the Heart SACD is universally panned. I have yet to list it here in a poll, but I would imagine that one would get a few "1" votes. However, in this case, it may deserve it.

You all know where I am coming from.

By the way, as some of you may have noticed, members are now able to see who voted and what their votes were after the first week. :D

Some of you have asked about the way the polls are structured. Here's the deal:

During the first week of the poll, when the title is first entered into the section, the thread title will be something like "NEW: Blow, Joe THIS REALLY SUCKS [SACD/DVD-A]". The thread title reflects the week that it is entered, with it's "Week Ending" date. During this week, the poll is private. This keeps folks from initially being influenced by other initial voters.

After the first week, the "NEW:" moniker is removed, and the thread is "unstickied". At that time, I also will edit the vBulletin database and make the results public for the duration.

Also, after the first week, the titles are added to the "Master List" on the web page here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQHiRezPoll2004.htm

That's the plan and I'm stickin' to it! :D

Did I miss, or not see where you have it, but I don't see Roxy Music's Avalon in the polls, easily one the 5 top SACD releases to date.

Remember, I am only putting 4-6 titles up per week. I can't list them all at once. Also, I am starting off with the more popular titles. I tried to broaden the scope a few times, and got discs with 1 or 2 votes. That does us no good.

Be patient, we'll gettem all up there! :D

Cool, Avalon has been one of my favorites since the vinyl days as far as sound quality goes, the content may not appeal to a lot of folks but IMO it is definitely worth a listen... :)

NOTE TO ALL: I just renamed all of the review poll posts so that they can now be sorted by artist. This will make it easy to find a poll when you want to do research or post your findings!

We have a new #1 disc. It's been "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" since day one, not anymore! Click the link in the new header to see the results!

:-jon

Incredible how much DSOTM continues to fascinate everyone, even when they don't necessarily like the album or the mix!

Ed Bishop said:
Incredible how much DSOTM continues to fascinate everyone, even when they don't necessarily like the album or the mix!

It will always boil down to AP vs JG :rolleyes:

Back