HiRez Poll Allman Brothers - AT THE FILLMORE EAST [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Allman Brothers - AT THE FILLMORE EAST

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
From Universal: Comments and Observations Please.......(y) (n)

R-2866594-1367517296-7175.jpeg.jpg

R-2866594-1367517363-2998.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On this title I like my DTS version over the new SACD. The main reason is for the mix. The SACD sounds better (more crisp and clean) but the mix on my DTS version (which I gather is the original quad with a slight center and sub thrown in) is much more enjoyable because I feel like I am in the center of the band. the SACD mix doesn't really envelope me the way the DTS does. I still like both but I could only rate the SACD a 6.

Didn't vote. I'm going to wait for the dvd-audio version to get it on a single disk. I've been tempted by the dts version also, but don't have it yet. Took a close look at it a couple of days ago. It was in the large case. All my other dts CDs are in the standard case. Maybe I'll try to seek out one of those standard case versions.

Musically a 10. Surround mix a 6. Doesn't use the format to it's potential. Sonically an 8 but what can you expect from a live concert of this vintage. The price was right anyway, $19.99 Canadian. Loads of great music for a fairly low price.

Since it's the SACD, a '7'.....I've lived with the old Quad for so long that the new mix is kind of jarring...but, on the bonus side, a bit more vivid, more 'you are there' sounding than the old mix. But I wish it were a bit less busy and some aspects of the performance more isolated. Even so, great music, can't complain.....

ED :)

Allman Brothers - At The Fillmore East is one of those seminal live albums. I first heard this album when I checked it out from a library (the name of which is withheld to protect, well, me) and I never took it back.

I was thrilled when I first listened to the quadraphonic version of this album, and as far as I can tell, the mix for this SACD release is identical to the quad release (the telltale sign is the fact that the center channel is mute; this is a 4.1 mix).

The sound quality is far and above any version of this title I have heard before. The performance cannot be faulted and the surround mix is one of the best live mixes I have ever heard.

A spectacular release all-in-all, but not quite "the best". I'll give this one nine enthusiastic points.

I don't see a review for the dts version which is becoming a bit harder to find now, especially in the USA. At least its on a single disk, so there's one advantage.

Is it worth buying the dts version if you already have the SACD version or should I just forget about it?

I agree with Ed. The DTS is smokin!!! The SACD is nice but it's a bit clean for me. The quad (DTS) just has "that" sound.

adding a vote for the DTS disc, not sure of the need to remix for SACD a classic, why not just put out the Original quad mix on SACD.

DTS disc Nice mix.
SACD clean and safe mix.

adding a vote for the DTS disc, not sure of the need to remix for SACD a classic, why not just put out the Original quad mix on SACD.
I'm fairly certain that the SACD is the original quadraphonic mix. The SACD and DTS mixes should be identical sans any mastering differences.

I'm fairly certain that the SACD is the original quadraphonic mix. The SACD and DTS mixes should be identical sans any mastering differences.

The SACD was remixed by Jeff Glixman at the same time he redid "Eat A Peach". The original quad mix was done by Tom Dowd.

Last edited:
The SACD was remixed by Jeff Glixman at the same time he redid "Eat A Peach". The original quad mix was done by Tom Dowd.
"Eat A Peach" is obviously remixed (original quad is much better) but "At The Filmore East" sounds virtually identical to the original quad mix to my ears. It could be the remix credit here is purely decoration... or perhaps the additon of an LFE channel constitutes a remix credit.

I don't have the original quad mix dts cd to compare it to but I've loved this SACD since I first bought it.

musically this is very much my cup of tea, bluesy and soulful.. rocky, full of heart and spirit, guts, talent and raw energy, it captures those
lovely long jams to perfection. i love it!

A near-perfect "9" for me.

Odd to read these 2004 comments now; I'm not sure how someone normally as perceptive as Cai could ever confuse the SACD repurposed mix that is far more conservative than the original quad mix as its day and night different!

My heart says a '6' because the original quad version exists that puts you in the middle of one of the best ever band performances ever captured. If the quad version didn't exist as a reference, I'd give it it a 9. [I voted 7 to help counteract the spiteful unfounded 1]

No comments for 6 years!!.....oops that's 7yrs now :rolleyes: well 6.5yrs actually, but who's splitting hairs!!
This is one of the best bluesy live sets I have heard.
I find nothing wrong with the mix or the fidelity.
This is from 1971? because how come much later live mixes from other bands, do not have this quality.
I have no problem whipping up a frenzy to vote a 9

Back