HiRez Poll Joel, Billy - THE STRANGER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Billy Joel - THE STRANGER

• Total voters
In retrospect, I agree with you. I would likely kick up my rating from an 8 to a 9. I probably downgraded it a bit the first time around because the surround mix on Just The Way You Are just isn't very imaginative.
...and that specific song is one that really works for me - a huge soundscape to drown in...

I went with 9 on this one, just because of how many awesome blu-rays that are out there with more content and because, musically, this isn't as strong as Billy Joel gets for me.
Still, this is a great release. Nice, solid, discrete mix. Sounds wonderful to my ears.
Git it n' spin it.

I went with 9 on this one, just because of how many awesome blu-rays that are out there with more content and because, musically, this isn't as strong as Billy Joel gets for me.
Still, this is a great release. Nice, solid, discrete mix. Sounds wonderful to my ears.
Git it n' spin it.

So your rating is somewhat influenced by what is not on this disc rather than 100% what is on there.

I personally thought that this is as good as Joel ever got, beginning to end, song for song. A point better the 52nd. This title comes from a long ago era before bluray was imagined.

So your rating is somewhat influenced by what is not on this disc rather than 100% what is on there.

This title comes from a long ago era before bluray was imagined.

We're allowed to vote how we want and are encouraged to explain why. Nothing would cause me to give this a 10.
We all rate, somewhat, in some way, according to what discs are not. If this disc worked better musically for me, maybe it would be a 10.
I have given other SACDs 10s...

We're allowed to vote how we want and are encouraged to explain why. Nothing would cause me to give this a 10.
We all rate, somewhat, in some way, according to what discs are not. If this disc worked better musically for me, maybe it would be a 10.
I have given other SACDs 10s...

I completely understand it not being your favorite album from BJ. It was the part about BR disc, that stood out. It's not BR and it's not loaded up with live audio or video concert from 70s, and no outtakes or rare b-sides, not even a fancy picture book either. So I guess it's a 5 for me.

I completely understand it not being your favorite album from BJ. It was the part about BR disc, that stood out. It's not BR and it's not loaded up with live audio or video concert from 70s, and no outtakes or rare b-sides, not even a fancy picture book either. So I guess it's a 5 for me.

If it's a 5 for you, that's great. Vote 5. I don't exactly know what your bone to pick with me is.

These albums don't exist in a vacuum. Maybe the poll should be broken up by format, but it isn't. That would be more fair to the titles, in a way.
If an sacd, which has no extras and music that isn't top-notch deserves better than 9, then we will just never agree.
The fact that blu-rays and dvds can hold extra content just gives them a leg up, for me, when it's time to vote. They might get that extra packaging or content point.
Besides all that, nobody's vote on this site has to be completely rational.
Anyway, given this discussion, you're causing me to wonder if 9 is a bit generous for this album! Maybe it's a strong 8.

If it's a 5 for you, that's great. Vote 5. I don't exactly know what your bone to pick with me is.

These albums don't exist in a vacuum. Maybe the poll should be broken up by format, but it isn't. That would be more fair to the titles, in a way.
If an sacd, which has no extras and music that isn't top-notch deserves better than 9, then we will just never agree.
The fact that blu-rays and dvds can hold extra content just gives them a leg up, for me, when it's time to vote. They might get that extra packaging or content point.
Besides all that, nobody's vote on this site has to be completely rational.
Anyway, given this discussion, you're causing me to wonder if 9 is a bit generous for this album! Maybe it's a strong 8.

Factious 5 rating. I'm pulling your leg big time.

What I am saying is that if the SACD gets knocked down (by you) even a half point for not being bluray, then it means you will never give an SACD a 10. Unless you change your mind on another SACD and decide it is a 10 which you have every right to do.

I think the disc is mastered slightly bright, but it's fine. I'm not going to knock it a point for not being DVD-A which I'd have preferred.

This sacd is absolutely a steal for less than $40 new. If I did not own two copies already, I would order one or two more!

As others have stated, the mix differs from song to song which I don't quite understand. For example, some songs use the center channel more than others. But overall, there are reference material any Billy Joel fan can appreciate.

Serious question... what is the point of owning two of them?

2 reasons I can think of ..a backup copy...or one to sell if the price skyrockets...if I knew how popular the multi channel version of Avalon was I would have purchased 10 copies...and those that bought THIS box set at Best Buy(a Best Buy Exclusive)when the price dropped(one member on here bought it for $30 from best buy) now have a super rare and valuable blu ray disc..

2 reasons I can think of ..a backup copy...or one to sell if the price skyrockets...if I knew how popular the multi channel version of Avalon was I would have purchased 10 copies...and those that bought THIS box set at Best Buy(a Best Buy Exclusive)when the price dropped(one member on here bought it for $30 from best buy) now have a super rare and valuable blu ray disc..

^This^

i also have two copies of the Tom Petty boxset purchased for $30 each when they went on clearance.

I gave it a 9. One of my favorite BJ albums. If you're looking for the extreme four-corner quad mixes of Piano Man, Streetlife Serenade, and Turnstiles, look elsewhere. It's a bit of an "everything is everywhere" mix, meaning that you can hear stuff like backing vocals in all four corners but they're loudest in the rears. I really like the way the vocals are mixed: the lead vocals is dry in the center channel, while the doubled parts are either in the fronts or rears. 52nd Street is mixed the exact same way.

Last edited:
Back