HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters
A local store has an SACD Hybrid with no bonus DVD-Video (Making of...) for $27.99 and a copy with the Bonus DVD-Video (Making Of...) for $37.99. Can't decide if the bonus DVD-Video is worth $10. That's over $40 after taxes for one album. On the other hand it's $30 w/o. Maybe I should wait till a used copy surfaces and enjoy all of the new titles I've picked up recently. Agh, decisions, decisions.

The 2 SACD set is a common sale item at Best Buy for 19.99. It's not sale priced at the moment though. You could always wait awhile if you're not in a hurry for it.

I have both the SACDs and the DVD-A.

If anything I prefer the DVD-A, probably because it's easier to get out of its case. Superb sound. Brilliant mix.

So many great classic moments enhanced by DVD-A surround, there is little to quibble about here. Occasional limitations of the source material hold it back just a little, but this is still so much stronger than dozens of other releases.

A solid 9! "DVD-A" version.

And, I am in complete agreement with eggplant. The unplugged version of Candle in the Wind is fantastic.(y)

I am tempted to go pick up Madman Across the Water and Tumbleweed Connection even though they are SACD.

It's been a while since I've heard this title and it sound absolutely amazing! Especially considering its age. The opening title really envelopes the listener. No real aggressive surround moments but it sounds awesome anyway!

I got a copy(DVD-A) off of Ebay. To back-up my SACD. I use to see it in Best Buy, but not in the last 9 months.

Hey still wondering how the menu is on this. yea I decided I love DVD-A menus and might pick it up just for that. I bought it in SACD when it came out.

I put this on again after not playing it for a long time. Mother of God it's bright! I lasted only till Funeral For A Friend! I put on Fear Of A Blank Planet afterwards and cranked it up. No ear pain.

Finally got that one in DVD-A.
I was not in a hurry since I'm no big Elton John fan, but I like this classic album.

However I'm really in awe with both the high-rez sound and the 5.1 mix. Greg Penny should do more surround mixes !!!

I don't think it's bright at all.

I can't think of other DVD-A from an early 70's album that has as much power. It puts some more recent productions to shame.

A 10 in my book and I've not rated that high a lot of discs on this forum ! Brilliant by all means.

I never commented on this ??? Spank me.

I have both.

Both are excellent in every respect.

Either is a must have for everyone.

Bright ? A tad, but Gus knew what he was doing.

I don't like the mix (I have the SACD) in surround. I just can't get into it.

The tracks are interesting on the second disc - the first track starts at 9...

I put this on again after not playing it for a long time. Mother of God it's bright! I lasted only till Funeral For A Friend! I put on Fear Of A Blank Planet afterwards and cranked it up. No ear pain.

Well, "Funeral" was always 'bright.' Didn't notice it as much on the old MCA album I first bought, but years later, when a mint DJM UK edition came my way...wow! That track is not indicative of the entire album, though some of it is a bit harsh in places, but well, 'tis what it is.

ED :)

This is my "go to" disc when I show off the surround system in my car. Funeral For A Friend" and the bonus track of "Candle In The Wind" unplugged are a must hear. 10 for the music and 10 for the surround mix.

Has anyone here had any problems playing the SACD in a Pioneer Universal player. I wanted to record a few tracks into the PC and decided to use the SACD as a source since there is no watermark, but the disc would not start at track 1 until I recycled it a few times, then it just locked up a minute or so into the first track. I can always "DVD Audio Extract" the tunes from the DVD-A, but I find it odd that the SACD hangs in the Pioneer.

Oh yeah, these EJ discs are bright. I'd forgotten how bright they are. And they are visually maximized as well. They do have a lot of punch, though! :D

Back