HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters
So, last night, I whipped out my SACD copy of GYBR to have a listen. I have not played it for a couple of years and have newer speakers. I was playing the disc loud and what I noticed right off during the first track which carried all the way through to the end of disc one is how loud my side/rear speakers were. And I use room correction! When I get a chance, I'm going to have to check my other EJ discs to see/hear if all of them are mixed this way. I feel the mix to the rear speakers are way to loud. At times, they almost sound louder than the front speakers. Also, I noticed I never voted on this disc and still haven't voted on many discs.:mad:@:

I finally had a chance to listen and compare my other three EJ SACD's. I have "Madman Across The Water", "Tumbleweed Connection", "Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy" and, of course, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". "Madman"& "Tumbleweed"" are very balanced in surround. On the other hand, "Captain Fantastic" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" are both as noted above. I'm really hoping that the HFPA BD release of "GYBR" solves this problem even though it states in the description on Amazon that it's from the 2003 surround mix.

I just finished listening to this on Blu-Ray. All I can say is :yikes:banana::yikes after the second song I felt like I was getting change back from the $20 I spent on the disc! This is the first time since the mid 80's that I bought anything other than a greatest hits package from Elton John. I love him as an artist, but never listened through a whole album before as I have been mostly a singles kind of guy. There was definitely enough of them on this album and getting them in surround to boot! For this being my second Blu-Ray and the real reason for buying an Oppo BDP-83 from another QQ-er I now see the future of surround on a universal format that is worth having. I hope I see more EJ in the near future, but not until my wallet recovers from all my purchases this month.:mad:@:

I just finished listening to this on Blu-Ray. All I can say is :yikes:banana::yikes after the second song I felt like I was getting change back from the $20 I spent on the disc! This is the first time since the mid 80's that I bought anything other than a greatest hits package from Elton John. I love him as an artist, but never listened through a whole album before as I have been mostly a singles kind of guy.

To me, GYBR is a "Greatest Hits" album.(y)

Yes! It practically is! (y)

Most artists would kill to have Candle In The Wind, Bennie & The Jets, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting all on one album.. but then it's a double and there's more radio staples that weren't hits (FFAF/LLB, Harmony) and such a diverse set of songs spanning genres from Reggae to Prog, ballads and rockers.. there's a reason it's his biggest selling album, it's his most diverse and yet most accessible album from a point in time where he could almost do no wrong.

I still prefer Captain Progtastic but I'm just weird, most people seem to prefer GYBR and I don't blame them (as Russ Reagan said of Yellow Brick Road; "it's his White Album.. his Sergeant Pepper's.." a pretty glowing comparison!).

There are so many riches in EVERY EJ album. GYBR is one of his best. IMHO, Tumbleweed is better musically. As Adam (Fredblue) has mentioned in many threads, there are many treasures in those unreleased 5.1 mixes.

Besides the hits, the SACD's that are currently available hold many riches. Border Song and Take Me To the Pilot on Elton John are simply stunning. Mellow & Mona Lisas on Honky Chateau are wonderful. The bonus tracks on Captain Fantastic: Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, One Day (At a Time), and Philadelphia Freedom, as well as the hits and the song Writing are not to be missed. On Tumbleweed, the whole album is fantastic!

Let's see....Fred likes CF and Linda likes TC. Although, to be fair, I've only listened to TC in it's entirety once and played about a couple minutes of each song when I was trying to compare the four records I have on SACD. I will listen to TC again within the next several days because what I heard, I really liked. CF is a favorite among many fans but if I had to choose the next best after GYBR, it would have to be Madman in that group of SACD releases. Again, my mind may change after I have another listen to both Madman and Tumbleweed back to back.

I just finished listening to this on Blu-Ray. All I can say is :yikes:banana::yikes after the second song I felt like I was getting change back from the $20 I spent on the disc! This is the first time since the mid 80's that I bought anything other than a greatest hits package from Elton John. I love him as an artist, but never listened through a whole album before as I have been mostly a singles kind of guy. There was definitely enough of them on this album and getting them in surround to boot! For this being my second Blu-Ray and the real reason for buying an Oppo BDP-83 from another QQ-er I now see the future of surround on a universal format that is worth having. I hope I see more EJ in the near future, but not until my wallet recovers from all my purchases this month.:mad:@:

Hi CV,:)

I'm glad you are enjoying EJ's GYBR. I love it to death though I always skip Jamaica Jerk-Off(Sorry Fred;))

Might I suggest: Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy? I find that to be EJ's best from start to finish though it doesn't have the heavy-weight classic songs like GYBR...

Welcome to the magnificent world of discrete 5.1!

Cheers,

DennisMoore

There is one heavy-weight classic on that disc: Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

Yeah man, I'm with you. All of Elton John's classic records have at least one monster hit on them. GYBR had like 6 or 7. Amazing really. All the records had some clunkers to avoid as well. :mad:@:

There are so many riches in EVERY EJ album. GYBR is one of his best. IMHO, Tumbleweed is better musically. As Adam (Fredblue) has mentioned in many threads, there are many treasures in those unreleased 5.1 mixes.

Besides the hits, the SACD's that are currently available hold many riches. Border Song and Take Me To the Pilot on Elton John are simply stunning. Mellow & Mona Lisas on Honky Chateau are wonderful. The bonus tracks on Captain Fantastic: Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, One Day (At a Time), and Philadelphia Freedom, as well as the hits and the song Writing are not to be missed. On Tumbleweed, the whole album is fantastic!

Linda, I love you! :eek: I agree with everything you just said! (y)

Let's see....Fred likes CF and Linda likes TC. Although, to be fair, I've only listened to TC in it's entirety once and played about a couple minutes of each song when I was trying to compare the four records I have on SACD. I will listen to TC again within the next several days because what I heard, I really liked. CF is a favorite among many fans but if I had to choose the next best after GYBR, it would have to be Madman in that group of SACD releases. Again, my mind may change after I have another listen to both Madman and Tumbleweed back to back.

I do love CF best.. but I rate TC V.highly too, Linda has superb taste you've got to give TC the time to really get under your skin, Perp.! :)

I just prefer the poppier side of EJ's rock.. from Honky Chateau thru Westies, that's my Elton! For about 4-ish years he churned out incredible pop that really rocks!

That's not to take away from the earlier work, which is still wonderful.. but for me between 72-76 he was absolutely untouchable.

I cherish those albums as much as my other all-time faves (Queen, Bowie, Clapton, Who, Steely Dan, The Doobies.. I love those guys..) oh go on then, more! They're my all-time favourite records - and that's why its been 10 Looooong years waiting for those 5.1's of Westies, Blue Moves, Caribou & Don't Shoot Me..

Back