HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters
I felt the same way back when the Tommy soundtrack came out in 1975. I am the biggest WHO fan you'll find. But... EJ's Pinball Wizard is the definitive version. I got into trouble saying this in grade school back then, but I'll never change. EJ's version is one of the best rock songs ever. That of course had Caleb Quyae on guitar. :)

Noo.. It's all Davey's work on EJ's Pinball Wizard :) Caleb is the best guitarist in the world though (according to Eric..!)

Okay, I'm going to start out by listening to the SACD in it's entirety. Then, do the same with the BDA. After that, if I need to do a song by song comparison before I Post my thoughts, I will.

Well, I went against what I thought I'd do. I ended up playing the first three tracks (Side-1 on first double LP disc) on each disc starting out with the SACD. So, far, what I'm hearing seems like the same 2003 mix but there is a better, relaxed feel to the tracks. It seems like the DTS-HD Master codec may be the reason for this change in sound. However, I am not set up to do DSD in 5.1, only stereo. So, my AVR needs to convert to 88.2 kHz PCM. Also, I'm hearing details in instruments I had not previously heard via the SACD. More to come...

...Continuing with GYBR through Jamaica Jerk-Off (Side-2 on first double LP minus I've Seen That Movie Too), I noticed a better Grey Seal sound via the BD. Especially, with the cymbals. They sound more real instead of a bunch of white noise. Now, the real surprise was Jamaica Jerk-Off. So far, I feel that it sounds, not only different on the BD, but I actually prefer the SACD on that particular track. It seems like the background rasta-man vocals are different.

I finished up with the comparison between the SACD and BD. Even though it states that the 2003 mix was used, I definitely hear a difference on most songs with the BD format. I'm hearing a clearer soundstage, better detail and separation. I do notice the SACD seems to have more bass but in a different way. Not really more. Perhaps bloated? Anyway, what may be going on is either the newer codec of the DTS-Master Audio or perhaps the newer transfer of the BD. As I was sitting there listening, I thought that maybe a different master may have been used between the two formats or how the transfer may have been handled. After all, they were transferred at different times.

I still need to listen to Jamaica Jerk-Off again to see if I hear the difference with that song between the two formats. This was fun! After the first 3 songs, I ended up listening to one track at a time, the same track from each format. Made it easier to hear the difference. Overall, I'm glad I purchased the BD version because I really like what I'm hearing. Can't wait to see if they release other EJ titles on BD.

btw, I'm glad to hear the fade-in missing on Social Disease. I never liked it. I don't remember if the original LP contained it but I do have the Speakers Corner LP and can say that the fade-in is much more subtle than on the SACD surround mix. I never did listen to the stereo mix ever.

I was never one for "The Beatles" cover songs but "LSD" is the one, even though I love them to death, I feel Elton nailed it and the version I prefer to listen to. He places quiet a bit more excitement into that track. It's almost like that song was written for him to perform.:smokin

I would bet money that, were he alive today, John Lennon himself would call Elton's performance THE definitive version.

More like a ground-up remake than a cover, the 1974 recording takes advantage of players and production options not available to the Beatles seven years earlier, including 16-track recording. Can you really do a widescreen fantasy like LSD justice with eight tracks? It's really an authorized reboot, with good friend Lennon involved in every stage of production, including contributing the tasty "reggae guitars of Dr. Winston O'Boogie" (Lennon).

A grand production for the ages -- arguably John's best, and that's a hell of a tough contest -- now rendered in glorious surround. I do wish our friend Mr. Penny had recreated the initial fade-in on the original but otherwise, a joyous listen.

I would bet money that, were he alive today, John Lennon himself would call Elton's performance THE definitive version.

More like a ground-up remake than a cover, the 1974 recording takes advantage of players and production options not available to the Beatles seven years earlier, including 16-track recording. Can you really do a widescreen fantasy like LSD justice with eight tracks? It's really an authorized reboot, with good friend Lennon involved in every stage of production, including contributing the tasty "reggae guitars of Dr. Winston O'Boogie" (Lennon).

A grand production for the ages -- arguably John's best, and that's a hell of a tough contest -- now rendered in glorious surround. I do wish our friend Mr. Penny had recreated the initial fade-in on the original but otherwise, a joyous listen.

Great post! Thanks! (y)

I wonder if the lack of fade-in on the 5.1 of LSD is a bit like what has just happened with Social Disease on the GYBR BDA? (i.e. the manual fade up required was never done, or overlooked somewhere along the line? rather than being a stylistic or intentional decision on Greg's part?).

I finished up with the comparison between the SACD and BD. Even though it states that the 2003 mix was used, I definitely hear a difference on most songs with the BD format. I'm hearing a clearer soundstage, better detail and separation. I do notice the SACD seems to have more bass but in a different way. Not really more. Perhaps bloated? Anyway, what may be going on is either the newer codec of the DTS-Master Audio or perhaps the newer transfer of the BD. As I was sitting there listening, I thought that maybe a different master may have been used between the two formats or how the transfer may have been handled. After all, they were transferred at different times.

I still need to listen to Jamaica Jerk-Off again to see if I hear the difference with that song between the two formats. This was fun! After the first 3 songs, I ended up listening to one track at a time, the same track from each format. Made it easier to hear the difference. Overall, I'm glad I purchased the BD version because I really like what I'm hearing. Can't wait to see if they release other EJ titles on BD.

btw, I'm glad to hear the fade-in missing on Social Disease. I never liked it. I don't remember if the original LP contained it but I do have the Speakers Corner LP and can say that the fade-in is much more subtle than on the SACD surround mix. I never did listen to the stereo mix ever.

Yeay! I'm not going mad! Thank you for all your thoughts and findings :)

So now Perpendicular, steelydave and other QQ members have come up with similar findings to mine, the BDA and the old SACDs are not exactly the same.

I wish Greg Penny would drop by QQ one time.

I'm sure there's so much QQ members would like to ask him about concerning his work on the EJ back catalogue.

the fade-in on Social D. on the SACD/DVDA was not well done imho, it wasn't the gradual fade of Gus' original, I prefer the new version on the BDA now, its great to hear Elton's vocals at full pelt from the start and there are little effects going on in the rears that were muted to the point of being undetectable on the SACD.

afaik, Captain Fantastic is next for the BDA treatment (I hope Universal do a new Stereo remaster of the album and include the bonus tracks in 5.1 this time around too). We shall see.. ;)

I may have to listen to the stereo track on the BD at another time. As it is, I cannot get those GYBR songs out-a-my-head. And some! I need a breather.:mad:@:

Edit: Oh, I forgot! I need to play Jamaica Jerk-Off again to compare.:yikes

I may have to listen to the stereo track on the BD at another time. As it is, I cannot get those GYBR songs out-a-my-head. And some! I need a breather.:mad:@:

Edit: Oh, I forgot! I need to play Jamaica Jerk-Off again to compare.:yikes

The Stereo on the new BDA totally kicks the old SACDs' Stereo butt..!!! :p

Well I finally took the plunge and got this on BDA, not my favourite EJ (sorry Adam!) and I was never that taken by the SACD offering, but the comments on the BDA are encouraging. On top of that its only £10 from Beaches Canada via amazon. Hopefully they'll re-release Captain Fantastic and the earlier albums which I prefer.

It turned up, only had a brief listen but it sounds way better then the SACD to me. I'll vote once I've given it a proper listen.

Anyone else have any opinions about the newer bluray version compared to the SACD. I have been doing some SACD conversions to my server and this SACD just didn't sound very good. I like the mix but the sound quality seemed a bit off compared to a few other SACD's I have been converting. Will do some other comparisons vs. the other SACD's next but other opinions are always welcome. Holding off on vote for now...

Anyone else have any opinions about the newer bluray version compared to the SACD. I have been doing some SACD conversions to my server and this SACD just didn't sound very good. I like the mix but the sound quality seemed a bit off compared to a few other SACD's I have been converting. Will do some other comparisons vs. the other SACD's next but other opinions are always welcome. Holding off on vote for now...

Have you seen this thread? There is plenty of talk comparing the two.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Blu-Ray-Release&highlight=goodbe+yellow+brick

do have DVDA. 5.1 mix is good. soundwise had found to be quite dry, comparing to another releases on SACDs.
how this particular album sounds on SACD and BDA i don't know since never heard it on these formats.
but my guess it should be pretty much same.

Have you seen this thread? There is plenty of talk comparing the two.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Blu-Ray-Release&highlight=goodbe+yellow+brick

Thanks. It sounds like I need the bluray. It seems someone else got involved in the process and messed something up compared to the rest of the SACD series. Listening to Madman now and it has none of the high end problems as GBYBR. Vocals sound excellent. The bass is screwy/compressed however on Madman. Just a bit fatiguing in that midbass/bass range. Great mix and high end but not close to reference stuff.

Thanks. It sounds like I need the bluray. It seems someone else got involved in the process and messed something up compared to the rest of the SACD series. Listening to Madman now and it has none of the high end problems as GBYBR. Vocals sound excellent. The bass is screwy/compressed however on Madman. Just a bit fatiguing in that midbass/bass range. Great mix and high end but not close to reference stuff.

I've had both the blu ray and the SACD...IMO I didn't experience the problems with the SACD that others seem to have..the nice thing about the blu ray is it's on one disc...

I've had both the blu ray and the SACD...IMO I didn't experience the problems with the SACD that others seem to have..the nice thing about the blu ray is it's on one disc...

It's not the worse for sure. I think it's just what you just listened to in comparison. Compared to Minimum Maximum and hello country goodbye nightclub and other reference stuff is not fair...

I take back the stuff I just posted about GBYBR high end stuff. It's not bad. Overall this disc is just not "crankable clean" as some of the other stuff...

Mix 10, Songs 10, SQ 6 = 7 for me. Still going to get bluray...

Unfortunately the GYBR blu-ray is not in the same league (fidelity-wise) as the earlier sacd releases. I never had the GYBR sacd or dvd-a but I have most of the others. Those are the kind of recordings you put on, sit back, and soak in. Just thinking about Rocket Man gives me chills. GYBR was EJ at his prime. A great song selection - arguably the best of any of his albums. And his singing on that album is so confident and commanding.

Listening to the blu-ray I find myself making excuses for the harsh (not smooth) sound. They got it right on those other sacds. Too bad they messed this up this blu-ray. If you are a stickler for good fidelity you won't like this one.
That was almost a year ago. Today I took this for a spin and was very pleased with what I heard. So what changed? Well I got a totally new amplification section for my 5.1 system last June. And I applied a significant amount of wall treatment last fall. So yeah, it's not always the disk, is it.

Back