HiRez Poll John, Elton - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Elton John - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

• Total voters
This is one of several titles that gave me problems on my Pio 563. After playing problem-free for a couple years, the 563 stopped recognizing the SACD layer and would just begin playing the redbook. Some of the others that behaved similarly were Allison Krause "New Favorite", Police Greatest hits and John Hiatt "Bring the Family". In all cases, they played fine once I got an Oppo.

This is one of several titles that gave me problems on my Pio 563. After playing problem-free for a couple years, the 563 stopped recognizing the SACD layer and would just begin playing the redbook. Some of the others that behaved similarly were Allison Krause "New Favorite", Police Greatest hits and John Hiatt "Bring the Family". In all cases, they played fine once I got an Oppo.

Mine's a 578A, and yes, that's what it is doing. First it sees it as an SACD, then when I press play, it goes to CD! If I eject and reset, it just hangs. If I go to the next track, it seems to play, but if I back up to Track 1, if freezes. Strange.

At least I have my Oppo's for real listening. (The Pio is connected to my PC)

Mine's a 578A, and yes, that's what it is doing. First it sees it as an SACD, then when I press play, it goes to CD! If I eject and reset, it just hangs. If I go to the next track, it seems to play, but if I back up to Track 1, if freezes. Strange.

I recall my 578a doing this with the GYBR and Tommy SACDs, but I don't think it's happened since I did the firmware upgrade. Do you have the latest firmware on your Pioneer, Jon?

I recall my 578a doing this with the GYBR and Tommy SACDs, but I don't think it's happened since I did the firmware upgrade. Do you have the latest firmware on your Pioneer, Jon?

I don't think I ever upgraded it. I suppose it's about time I did. Now I just have to find it. Is it posted here somewhere?

Plays fine in my 578A.
I've never done a firmware upgrade -- bought mine at Costco in '05, I think.

There's been a lot posted regarding firmware upgrades -- and it's not all good news.
Some later upgrades fixed problems while causing others.

Interestingly, the DVD-A version has problems too.
The bonus tracks are not accessible on my friend's Infiniti system.

A classic, available in both formats. Vote on the surround presentation, list your findings in a reply if you have a preference for either format on this title only!

:-jon

I heard the DVD-A of this for the first time last night & I have to say that I prefer the DVD-A to the SACD.

How come I never voted/commented on this? Although the fidelity isn't perfect, it's damn good. This is my sixth copy, and it never sounded this good, not on the Direct Disc Lab 1/2 speed LP's or the Mofi Gold Disc. Sure, those are lowly 2ch, but the fidelity is better than ever here, even though a tad bright. The 5.1 mix is tasteful. Great bonus tracks, too. You NEED it.

This one goes to 11. It's one more.

I heard the DVD-A of this for the first time last night & I have to say that I prefer the DVD-A to the SACD.

Yup, ever since I got my DVD-A, it is my "go to" copy...and most of you know how I feel about SACDs anyway....

How come I never voted/commented on this? Although the fidelity isn't perfect, it's damn good. This is my sixth copy, and it never sounded this good, not on the Direct Disc Lab 1/2 speed LP's or the Mofi Gold Disc. Sure, those are lowly 2ch, but the fidelity is better than ever here, even though a tad bright. The 5.1 mix is tasteful. Great bonus tracks, too. You NEED it.

This one goes to 11. It's one more.

I think that the mixes are great even in the SACD - a tad bright (although I prefer it that way), just like "Honky Chateau" (which is my favorite one)....

Was listening to Disc 2 tonight and I came across this extra "track" in the menu list. :)View attachment 8167

for me, one of the finest producers of popular music ever, his contribution to Elton's classic 70's sound should not be underestimated. he was a lovely genuine man and a fine raconteur with a great wit. I felt very honoured to meet him, he had lots of cool stories laced with such good humour. there were rumours that he was possibly going to work with Elton again just before he was so tragically killed. very heartwarming to the fans that Greg Penny & all involved in the 5.1 reissues were able to do justice to his incredible body of work with Elton after his untimely passing.

I have the MFSL pressing and while I really liked it, I really love this one!! I know there are some that say it's to bright but the only song I find bright is "Funeral" and I think that was always bright. I have been overly impressed with all of the Elton John HiRez discs! This is a keeper!!!

A perfect example of how to create a stunning surround mix and then completely destroy it by pandering to the "loudness war." First the good; it's very clean! It must have been an exceptional recording or someone's put a lot of effort into cleaning up the source material. The surround mixes are exceedingly tasteful and show a masterful grasp of the original material. Parts are clear, spacious and well placed in the sound-field. It has to be said that there are more than a few places where individual tracks or phrases are slightly just too loud for the rest, but I can live with that; it doesn't cross over into gimmicky. Now the bad (and the downright ugly). It's been over EQ'd to the point of excessive brightness. This is bad enough but is exacerbated by the horrible amount of compression applied. It's just too loud and is actually painful on the ears to listen to. How anyone could ever have thought this was a good idea is beyond me. It takes what should have been a sure fire 10 down to a 6 (and even that is generous.) Such a shame.

[Edit: based on the DVD-Audio, Advanced Resolution Surround Sound]

Last edited:
A perfect example of how to create a stunning surround mix and then completely destroy it by pandering to the "loudness war." First the good; it's very clean! It must have been an exceptional recording or someone's put a lot of effort into cleaning up the source material. The surround mixes are exceedingly tasteful and show a masterful grasp of the original material. Parts are clear, spacious and well placed in the sound-field. It has to be said that there are more than a few places where individual tracks or phrases are slightly just too loud for the rest, but I can live with that; it doesn't cross over into gimmicky. Now the bad (and the downright ugly). It's been over EQ'd to the point of excessive brightness. This is bad enough but is exacerbated by the horrible amount of compression applied. It's just too loud and is actually painful on the ears to listen to. How anyone could ever have thought this was a good idea is beyond me. It takes what should have been a sure fire 10 down to a 6 (and even that is generous.) Such a shame.

Totallly understand your point of view.
I just turned the treble as much as I feel it's a normal level.
Every place is different.

Even the same location will no t sound the same way on different dates!

work with it....

tap into it...

Best wishes,

:smokin

I have the MFSL pressing and while I really liked it, I really love this one!! I know there are some that say it's to bright but the only song I find bright is "Funeral" and I think that was always bright. I have been overly impressed with all of the Elton John HiRez discs! This is a keeper!!!

the MFSL Ultradisc II CD is absolutely superb and is for me the best stereo mastering I've heard of the album on a digital format...and believe me, I've heard just about every version of GYBR going!

I think only a certain half-speed vinyl Linda's referred to in the past on QQ (label escapes me at the minute) is one I definitely haven't heard.

I do feel it must have been a bright recording to begin with.. and that Gus and Dave Henschel did everything they could to make the most of the primitive (even by 1973 standards) Chateau D'Hérouville Strawberry Studios...

..but I agree the 5.1's been over-egged in the top end, which is a shame, as just about everything else about it is incredible..

..if I were being particularly picky, there are certain mix elements that lose their impact in the process of going from stereo to surround, as I feel they've been remixed too low or even misplaced in the newly-created surround soundfield (imho).. particularly the tail end of Davey's wailing solo in "I've Seeen That Movie Too" just doesn't work as well in Greg Penny's 5.1 as the original stereo.. but that's a rare "mis-step" as I think Greg Penny's surround remixes of all the Elton albums released in 5.1 (so far) are amazing and some of the very best examples of how to inject new life into these old songs by remixing them into 5.1. I'd played all these 70's albums to death and yet when I first gave the GYBR SACD a spin it was almost like hearing it all for the first time! truly incredible work Greg did on those mixes.

just out of curiosity, are you listening to the SACD or the DVDA of this album?

I find the SACD a bit smoother in the treble and so a little easier on the ears.. though I have to say the DVDA (despite being brighter) sounds much more alive and "right" somehow for this album.. even the original DJM vinyl was bright, especially in the FFAF synths.. I have a hunch the synths in the opener were "tamed" for the MFSL.. although Steve Hoffman maintains the MFSL is exactly what is on the tapes and that it hasn't been messed with at all.. I can only say that every other mastering I've heard must have received a treble boost, as they all sound brighter than the MFSL (which I love the sound on btw, so I'm not knocking it for its less upfront top end).

The half-speed mastered LP is Direct Disk Labs. I also believe the Mofi Gold CD is the best stereo master. It IS better than the half-speed. I've owned six copies of this album. Although the Mofi is the best stereo, I'd rather listen to the 5.1 SACD.

Tumbleweed is still my favorite, but I ask you, how many artists have ever made an album this good, even on a single disc?

Every time I play this, I'm in awe. An album I need to listen to more often, even though I've heard it thousands of times.

Come over and see me, come over and please me. Alice, it's my turn today!

fredblue - my review was based on the DVD-Audio playing Advanced Res Surround. I may try and find the SACD based on your comments (though I imagine I may need a second mortgage to pay for it?)

I have to agree with Lind's comments on the album itself; it's exceptionally good. It's very rare to find so many top class songs in a single (or rather double) album! Even the bonus tracks (which I assume were dropped to make the original fit on four sides of vinyl?) are good! On that point; I don't find the bonus tracks quite so painful to listen to. They're still bright but don't sound as heavily compressed as the rest of the tracks. Anyone else pick this up?

The half-speed mastered LP is Direct Disk Labs. I also believe the Mofi Gold CD is the best stereo master. It IS better than the half-speed. I've owned six copies of this. Although the Mofi is the best stereo, I'd rather listen to the 5.1 SACD.

Tumbleweed is still my favorite, but I ask you, how many artists have ever made an album this good, even on a single disc?

Every time I play this, I'm in awe. An album I need to listen to more often, even though I've heard it thousands of times.

Come over and see me, come over and please me. Alice, it's my turn today!

Linda, I love you.

fredblue - my review was based on the DVD-Audio playing Advanced Res Surround. I may try and find the SACD based on your comments (though I imagine I may need a second mortgage to pay for it?)

I have to agree with Lind's comments on the album itself; it's exceptionally good. It's very rare to find so many top class songs in a single (or rather double) album! Even the bonus tracks (which I assume were dropped to make the original fit on four sides of vinyl?) are good! On that point; I don't find the bonus tracks quite so painful to listen to. They're still bright but don't sound as heavily compressed as the rest of the tracks. Anyone else pick this up?

the 30th Anniversary SACD + DVD set is still readily available!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Road-DVD/dp/B0000PCUDK

Back