HiRez Poll Who, The - Tommy (2003 Mix) [SACD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Who - TOMMY

• Total voters
I'm a big fan of this surround mix. It's immersive, warm and crystal clear (thanks to the minimal use reverb). "Underture" sounds particularly impressive and makes for a great surround demo track.

I know that there's a new 5.1 mix in the recent box set. I'm curious to hear it but doubt that I would enjoy it more than this Townsend mix.

You don't have to buy the box set. You can get it as a separate item for around $20.

DVD/A ROCKS! When I purchased my last audio system, 11 years ago, I brought the disc for a test run; put on "Go to the Mirror"/LOUD; the whole store was in disbelief how great it sounded
To this day, one of my "go to", DVD/A demo 5.1, discs. Fidelity is incredible; considering the master was made in '68!
MUST HAVE for any serious 5.1 fanatic

OK, I'm getting confused. New mix? Or the same mix that was in place when this poll was created? 2004....
I need to buy this as I don't have it and if there are 2 versions floating around with different mixed I need to be sure to get the correct one.

That's what prompted me to post my initial question in the first place. I don't understand how all of the sudden a bunch of different sellers in Japan have gotten their hands on what would have to be "new old stock" of this 2004 release. And why they would be selling it for so cheap if that were the case.

I mean how does a box of new 2004 DVD-A's get buried someone in Japan and they suddenly get discovered in 2016??

I have both the DVD-A and SACD of this. to my ears the SACD sounds slightly better with a bit more treble (which I like)

Interesting. This SACD is one of the few high-profile releases where I prefer the stereo mix over the surround. To my ears the surround mix is good but not great, sounding unbalanced and lacking coherence. It may well be the lack of reverb. The stereo content on the other hand is exemplary.

I voted 9. I own the DVD-A and I thought it was a great listen, it's a long one, 2 LP's worth of music. I have nothing to compare it to except after reading the polls I believe I made the right purchase. I always like the sound of the DVD-A's they just sound better, a little more gritty.

Back