HiRez Poll Bowie, David - REALITY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of David Bowie - REALITY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Here's a "new release" SACD - New meaning that when it was released it was all new material. It seems to be hard to find in local stores, but can be purchased on line.

What do you think of the mix and the music? Is it worth seeking out?

:-jon

I'd like to be able to post on this soon, but have had it on back order...with a friend at Sony, no less...for several months now...

So far, I have to say that I have hated all 3 of Bowie's SACD releases, and that coming from a lifelong fan.
The mixes are dire. They sound as if the surround is an afterthought, done for a quick cash in by someone who is thinking in stereo.
Worst of the 3 is Ziggy, though. The surround on that one stinks.

I hope the DVD-A of David Live is better. At least Tony Visconti has a clue!
EDIT - although having just heard the surround on the Reality DVD-V, I may well have to eat my words here.

Last edited:
After listening to it once, I give it a 7. It has a good clean production with a reasonable, balanced mix. I think as I listen to it more, and get familiar with the music, this rating will go up.

Still prefer the live album myself.
The band he uses live seem far more clued up than the studio players. More rhythm, more feel, more groove too them.
I know the Reality live album is only DD and not HiRez, but grab a copy & see what I mean about the way it is played.

I finally got around to picking up the "live" Reality disc talked about by Neil.

I must say Neil, you are right.(y)

The band makes a huge difference in the presentation of the music. I enjoy this much more than the SACD. Thanks for the heads up!:smokin

I haven't played the DVD for awhile now but after reading this I put it on tonight. I must agree, the DVD-V is very satisfying. Give me acceptable sound along with a great live performance rather than a dry sonically superior studio recording.

I think it's the combination of Gail on Bass (She smokes Mark Plati, who plays Bass on the studio cuts) and Earl Slick's guitars.
That live band is the best Bowie has yet put together.
The set listfor the Reality tour must have been huge - a core of 15/20 songs played every night, and 10-15 rotating ones.
Total list from the bootlegs I have goes to well over 120 songs in all.

I was very disappointed on how the Ziggy 5.1 SACD sounded and not keeping up to date with what Bowie was doing in 90's till now did not pick this up, well its hard to find at a proper price on the Sacd and hard to find to boot.. Well I finally got a copy in a trade a month ago and I have been listening to it every week. I like the songs and the surround is very well done. It is very modern sounding in production/sonics as Guy R. has said but the surround definitely opens things up as there is alot going on in this recording(multi layered guitars,vocals,synth's etc). I prefer this album to heathen but heathen is also worth picking up if you can find a sacd surround copy.
This one gets a '9' from me.
I hope Bowie puts out some more surrounds in the future.

Hi Frantic.
Have you seen the edition that has a CD/DVD, where the DVD is the whole album played by the live band?
Stereo only, but works well through DPL2 or NeoDTS, and again the band is far better IMHO

Neil,
Nope, have not seen this one but I will dig around for it.
Nice that you mention decoding as I try and run everything through Neo or DPL2 and see where it leads!
Thanks for the heads up!
One question: Is this a two disc package or a flipper disc with a CD and a DVD combo?

Not sure why this release has got such a comparatively 'low' score?! It's bloody excellent! Great mix from Tony Visconti and the album is really top notch. I really like the music. In my view Bowie returned with a belter here which also features a couple of cool covers...

It's kinda weird that I put this on... I've never listened to it properly and half way through I thought - wasn't it around this time he passed away? And after looking up it was 5 years ago today - 10th Jan 2016 aged 69... Kinda spooky. Hope that was an instruction from you up there to put this on...

I'm voting a very strong 9.

Cheers ledge... 🍻

Last edited:
Not sure why this release has got such a comparatively 'low' score?! It's bloody excellent! Great mix from Tony Visconti and the album is really top notch. I really like the music. In my view Bowie returned with a belter here which also features a couple of cool covers...

It's kinda weird that I put this on... I've never listened to it properly and half way through I thought - wasn't it around this time he passed away? And after looking up it was 5 years ago today - 10th Jan 2016 aged 69... Kinda spooky. Hope that was an instruction from you up there to put this on...

I'm voting a very strong 9.

Cheers ledge... 🍻
Agree - both Heathen and Reality were very underrated when they were released. The multichannel mixes on both are superb. Bring me The Disco King on Reality is a Bowie classic.

Back