Level
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon [SACD]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
    ...and the fact that it sounds one tape generation older doesn't help either (more tape hiss).
    The ONLY place where tape hiss is obvious on the DVD-A is during the opening heartbeat, and the fact that it is there should be reassuring, it means that there has been no noise reduction applied at all. However, tape hiss is noticeable throughout the DVD-A and SACD, if you listen for it. I am happy to hear at least some tape hiss on the SACD, because that means they didn't squash the life out of it with NR, like they did on the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" SACD.

The dynamic range of the AP DVD-A is truly astounding and the fidelity is superb. You need to remember you are listening to a direct transfer from the original quad mix master tape. You can't really compare this to the polished commercial output of the SACD. Knocking one vs. the other in terms of tape hiss is an apples/oranges thing. It's not even worth mentioning.

Had the AP quad mix been used for the SACD you can bet it would have been cleaned up as well. What you're hearing from the DVD-A was not meant for public consumption. There is a DTS version of the AP mix floating around that was cleaned up for commercial release by DTS Entertainment. Rumour is it was just about to be released when the project was cancelled in favor of the SACD project. Anyway, the level of tape hiss on this version is comprable to what you find on the SACD. Overall, the DTS version sounds very good, but the fact that it is lossily compressed and has noise reduction applied obviously impacts the fidelity. I'll take the un-fucked with hi-rez direct transfer from the AP quad master tape any day.

That said, there are some tracks off the SACD that I do prefer to the AP mix. One of these days I would like to put together a disc containing my favorites from each, but it would be pretty tough to edit them together.

Check out this thread for a track-by-track rundown. When I wrote this I didn't have access to the AP DVD-A, but the comments about the mix differences are still relevant: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...read.php?t=980

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Just as stereo freaks will rail for their "original mix" when a remixed CD of a classic LP comes out, you can't kill a quad guy who prefers the "original mix" of a quad title. As is with the stereo situation, we always will have the original so we can enjoy the merits of both.
    :-jon

Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cai Campbell View Post
    ...the fact that it is there should be reassuring, it means that there has been no noise reduction applied at all.
    Very true
    However, tape hiss is noticeable throughout the DVD-A and SACD, if you listen for it. I am happy to hear at least some tape hiss on the SACD, because that means they didn't squash the life out of it with NR, like they did on the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" SACD.
    totally agree.
    Still, 'Days of future past' on SACD sounds miles better than any previous version, CD, LP or even DTS
    The dynamic range of the AP DVD-A is truly astounding and the fidelity is superb. You need to remember you are listening to a direct transfer from the original quad mix master tape. You can't really compare this to the polished commercial output of the SACD.
    Yes, the AP mix feels more 'raw', closer to the original tapes

Uh-Oh, Here Comes 2014! Ed Bishop's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    The SACD should be judged on its own merit.
    And if the SACD is the only point of MC reference, can't imagine anyone not being impressed by it, since it IS very well done, just under modern circumstances and sensibilities.

It's interesting that we have so many members here raving about the Moody Blues SACD's, until we remember that many haven't heard the old Q8's, reels, or Japanese vinyl. Some do reference the DTS discs(both of which do have some NR), but let's face it, it helps if you are new to these mixes and haven't lived with the old ones for 30+ years, as some of us have. There is a natural tendency to prefer the old rather than recent when it comes to any kind of music, particularly now in the digital age where so many other variables/applications are being used(NR, loudness, compression, whatever), somewhat, IMO, much too often, and often without any logical need to emply them beyond just for the hell of it, or in the name of(gag) 'improved sound quality'.

ED
    "Whisper Words of Wisdom, Let It Be"

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone on the Steve Hoffman Forum is claiming that the red book stereo layer on this disc includes the original quad mix SQ encoding. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Here is the thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=193163

Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah it's just the regular mix. It probably decodes just fine but the SQ mix is different.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Once can't believe everything one reads over at SHF.

Level
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    Once can't believe everything one reads over at SHF.
    How true. The OP has since been set straight.

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

In interviews, David Gilmour said he used to prefer a "wetter" mix, more mysterious vocals from the interviews. Waters preferred a mix that was more dry, the interviews more clear to understand the "concept". Since James Guthrie started his career with the Floyd during the time of The Wall, and is more closely affiliated with Waters than with Gilmour, I can see why the SACD mix is the way it is. The sax being more upfront, drier mix, clearer vocals, less gimmicky quad effects, its more of Roger's point of view. Not that he just ran over Gilmour, apparently he likes the way it is mixed now with maybe a few reservations. You can tell all of this from the "Making of DSOTM" dvd, and other interviews.

That said, I agree with most of the posts that have been made over the years. Parsons' mix over Guthrie's, but Guthrie's SACD sound quality is amazing.

Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll weigh in extremely late on this and state that I do enjoy the SACD but it is quite the different animal from the original Parsons Quad mix. My preference, perhaps not surprisingly, is for the Parsons mix. It grabs me by the back of the neck whereas the SACD just tickles my ears!

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tedhead View Post
    In interviews, David Gilmour said he used to prefer a "wetter" mix, more mysterious vocals from the interviews. Waters preferred a mix that was more dry, the interviews more clear to understand the "concept". Since James Guthrie started his career with the Floyd during the time of The Wall, and is more closely affiliated with Waters than with Gilmour, I can see why the SACD mix is the way it is. The sax being more upfront, drier mix, clearer vocals, less gimmicky quad effects, its more of Roger's point of view.
    I would without any hesitation say that Guthrie's SACD mix is wetter, vocals muddier, placement less distinct, that is, exactly as Gilmour wanted it.

900 Club - QQ All Star Ge Someone's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Almen View Post
    [..] Guthrie's SACD mix is [..] exactly as Gilmour wanted it.
    That is also my thinking about this, they tried to stay close to the Chris Thomas stereo mix in terms of reverbs. That way it was most acceptable to both Waters and Gilmour. I think Gilmour never liked the Parsons mix much.

Semi-friendly Moderator daved64's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tedhead View Post
    Since James Guthrie started his career with the Floyd during the time of The Wall, and is more closely affiliated with Waters than with Gilmour, I can see why the SACD mix is the way it is. .
    A look at Guthrie's credits reveals no particular allegiance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_G...ed_releases.29
    Getting it done in 5.1 !!!

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Almen;105508]I would without any hesitation say that Guthrie's SACD mix is wetter, vocals muddier, placement less

One example the saxophone being so prominent, clear, without reverb in the center speaker. Not to mention the interview vocals being clearer, as Waters has wanted it because of the concept of the album. Gilmour didn't care so much about the concept as Waters (hardcore Floyd fan knows about this is not surprising) so he wanted to the interviews answers to be more mysterious, wetter. Its a clear, dryer mix. Its even talked about in the Dark Side of the Moon book. Gilmour is happier with the the Guthrie's mix than Parson's, but he still would argue for a wetter mix than what we got on the SACD.
    ...this night wounds time...

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

This recording does need to be judged on its own merits and not by comparison with previous mixes. I have played this SACD to many friends including professional musos who play Floyd for a living and tour internationally and without exception this recording is met with amazement and awe. DSOTM isn't even my favourite Floyd album, before I pass on I would like Guthrie or similar to do Animals and Wish You Were Here. I was recently asked by a young man about 20 when I was wearing one of my Floyd T-shirts out shopping whether I was a Waters man or a Gilmour man, I couldn't give him a straight answer then and I'm not sure I can now because the sum of their parts far exceeded any of their individual output.

Level
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Time Lord View Post
    This recording does need to be judged on its own merits and not by comparison with previous mixes. I have played this SACD to many friends including professional musos who play Floyd for a living and tour internationally and without exception this recording is met with amazement and awe. DSOTM isn't even my favourite Floyd album, before I pass on I would like Guthrie or similar to do Animals and Wish You Were Here. I was recently asked by a young man about 20 when I was wearing one of my Floyd T-shirts out shopping whether I was a Waters man or a Gilmour man, I couldn't give him a straight answer then and I'm not sure I can now because the sum of their parts far exceeded any of their individual output.
    Whenever I wear my Pink Floyd The Wall t shirt from the premier at the Ziegfeld I get the same question. It's a real ice breaker.

Banned
    Level
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought this after " Wish You Were Here " ( which i liked ) but this has to be one of the worst albums of all time ! Very overated. Most of it's just a noise, with a screaming woman thrown in !

300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie4 View Post
    I bought this after " Wish You Were Here " ( which i liked ) but this has to be one of the worst albums of all time ! Very overated. Most of it's just a noise, with a screaming woman thrown in !
    Wow. Really. Are you being serious, Dixie?

You make it sound like you've never heard Dark Side of the Moon before? I am not sure how that is possible. Many songs from that album are played on the radio every day.

Oh well... I suggest you give it a few more spins. It is an absolute classic, and definitely in my "top 20" favorite albums. And I was not even born when it was released. If you find yourself starting to like the music, then I suggest you get your hands on the Alan Parsons Quad mix. It is better, IMO, than the Guthrie mix on the SACD.

Brad

Uh-Oh, Here Comes 2014! Ed Bishop's Avatar
    Level
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry25000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I do understand your feelings about the 'screaming woman' (Clare Torry), heh...because I once played this for someone unfamiliar with the album (hard as that is to believe, I know) and it is a surprise upon first listen, given the previous tracks (and although positioned as the bridge between Sides 1 & 2, it does run too long, IMO). But then, DSOTM is a narrative, after all, from start to finish, and even if it is padded out a little by filler ("Any Colour You Like" is certainly that), it is all recorded and assembled so well that, like SGT. PEPPER, even if you don't think the songs are strong, the end result is certainly unique and entertaining (most of all in quad or 5.1).

But as many millions as it has sold, even if you're just joshin' us, I can understand why an album like DSOTM doesn't work for everyone. I like it, have always been impressed by the achievement (and as surprised as the band was by its popularity, in 1973 and over the decades), but...no, I don't think it's a great album. But when in the mood, it's a fine listen.

ED
    "Whisper Words of Wisdom, Let It Be"

Banned
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bishop View Post
    I do understand your feelings about the 'screaming woman' (Clare Torry), heh...because I once played this for someone unfamiliar with the album (hard as that is to believe, I know) and it is a surprise upon first listen, given the previous tracks (and although positioned as the bridge between Sides 1 & 2, it does run too long, IMO). But then, DSOTM is a narrative, after all, from start to finish, and even if it is padded out a little by filler ("Any Colour You Like" is certainly that), it is all recorded and assembled so well that, like SGT. PEPPER, even if you don't think the songs are strong, the end result is certainly unique and entertaining (most of all in quad or 5.1).

But as many millions as it has sold, even if you're just joshin' us, I can understand why an album like DSOTM doesn't work for everyone. I like it, have always been impressed by the achievement (and as surprised as the band was by its popularity, in 1973 and over the decades), but...no, I don't think it's a great album. But when in the mood, it's a fine listen.

ED
    Hello, i've listened to the album twice since your post. I wasn't joshin' LOL Actually on reflection, it was probably harsh to say it's one of the worst albums of all time, especially if you judge it has a narrative / concept album. I actually liked it from Us And Them, onwards. ( when i first listened to it, initially )
    I have to agree....Clare, screams & moans for far too long ! It's one of my least played SACD's, but i guess it's not the kind of album, you'd play on a regular basis ?

Rob.

21. Likes Quad Linda liked this post
    Banned
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMS View Post
    Wow. Really. Are you being serious, Dixie?

You make it sound like you've never heard Dark Side of the Moon before?
    Hello Brad, i was born 10 years before it was released, and had never heard the album. ( obviously well aware of Money ! ) I had never heard a Pink Floyd album, till i purchased " Wish You Were " a few months ago. ( even though, i like it more now, i would never place it in a " top 20 favourite " list. Not even a top 100 list to be honest ! )
    I think timing ( and times ) are key, with albums that have sold very well. For example, would have this album sold in the same quantities, if it were released today ? Probably not. Would have Adele sold has many albums in 1973, as she has today ? Probably not.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star rusinurbe's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, i've listened to the album twice since your post. I wasn't joshin' LOL Actually on reflection, it was probably harsh to say it's one of the worst albums of all time, especially if you judge it has a narrative / concept album. I actually liked it from Us And Them, onwards. ( when i first listened to it, initially )
    I have to agree....Clare, screams & moans for far too long ! It's one of my least played SACD's, but i guess it's not the kind of album, you'd play on a regular basis ?

Rob.
    The whole album is available on CD in alternative 1972 mix in the DSOTM box. If you want a completely different perspective on the album and to understand just how many good decisions were made to turn it from a mediocre album to a great album give that a listen. For me its the pick of the imersion boxes, along with the live Animals songs
    Cheers Fletch

300 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Brad, i was born 10 years before it was released, and had never heard the album. ( obviously well aware of Money ! ) I had never heard a Pink Floyd album, till i purchased " Wish You Were " a few months ago. ( even though, i like it more now, i would never place it in a " top 20 favourite " list. Not even a top 100 list to be honest ! )
    I think timing ( and times ) are key, with albums that have sold very well. For example, would have this album sold in the same quantities, if it were released today ? Probably not. Would have Adele sold has many albums in 1973, as she has today ? Probably not.

You are correct... there is no question that timing is key. DSotM needs to be judged as an album, and today music is not really about albums, but rather songs or singles. So, an album like DSotM could easily go totally unnoticed today.

It would be interesting go 10 years into the future and compare sales of DSotM and Adele over time. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect DSotM continued (and continues) to sell in reasonably large quantities every year for decades. I wonder if Adele "21" will still be selling 10 years from now? Hard to say...

For me DSotM was a "grower". I didn't love it right away, either. Clare Torry's vocals can certainly be grating upon the first listen but they can grow on you (although my wife still can't handle them). I probably only considered the album a masterpiece in the late 90s, 10 years after I first heard it. But, if find that many of my favorite albums are ones that didn't click right away. And... conversely, some of the albums that I do love upon the first listen, often quickly fade and I get bored of them.

Brad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star leevitalone1's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entrySocial10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMS View Post
    You are correct... there is no question that timing is key. DSotM needs to be judged as an album, and today music is not really about albums, but rather songs or singles. So, an album like DSotM could easily go totally unnoticed today.

It would be interesting go 10 years into the future and compare sales of DSotM and Adele over time. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect DSotM continued (and continues) to sell in reasonably large quantities every year for decades. I wonder if Adele "21" will still be selling 10 years from now? Hard to say...

For me DSotM was a "grower". I didn't love it right away, either. Clare Torry's vocals can certainly be grating upon the first listen but they can grow on you (although my wife still can't handle them). I probably only considered the album a masterpiece in the late 90s, 10 years after I first heard it. But, if find that many of my favorite albums are ones that didn't click right away. And... conversely, some of the albums that I do love upon the first listen, often quickly fade and I get bored of them.

Brad
    Having discussed this before, have concluded DSOTM and WYWH will be "classic" music in the future, Just like kids listening to Beethoven today. Both will be popular well into the future, alas Adele will be forgotten. Why do I feel this way? Becauase I see the kids today listening to the same music I did when I was a kid. This means something: that our generation is viewed by them as being important, by our actions, and our music.
    The divorce was my fault, I just couldn't get along with her boyfriends.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I found it actually refreshing to hear an opposite view of this title from someone who had never heard it. I can see where they're coming from. Just because someone loves a title, doesn't mean everyone loves it. If you take this album out of context, out of it's time, out of the web it's woven into, I can see how it may seem odd, boring, strange, and maybe wonder why it was so popular.

If it came out today, and was up on iTunes, other than Money, the rest of the album would probably be soon forgotten. Timing, as they say, is everything.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast