HiRez Poll Taylor, James - DAD LOVES HIS WORK [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of James Taylor - DAD LOVES HIS WORK

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
JT's album including "Her Town Too" with JD Souther.

Good sound... a few great songs and the rest are just alright. Not up there with J.T., but a good one nonetheless. Sonics-8 Music-7

Pretty good.

One exceptional surround track: "That Lonesome Road" (last one). A capella vocals all around similar to Eagles' "Seven Bridges Road".

There's something seriously wrong with the bass in "Her Town Too." On my system, no matter how I adjust the sub, the low "E" on the bass guitar produces something like intermodulation distortion -- very unpleasant. The stereo mix's treatment of the bass drum and guitar is a joy. Too bad.

Many forgettable tracks with decent sonics.

I had to go to my collection and dig this one out because i couldn't remember too much abut it, and after listening to it again i can see why. Probably my least fovorite JT disc, and the surround isn't very impressive either. Now i know why i didn't remember it. It is just average. I gave it a 6.

I love the warm full sound and the surround mix has its high spots.

Not as strong an album as "JT" or "Hourglass" (which is my favourite of the JT 5.1 SACDs) but this is still very nice, I much prefer it to "Flag" (as an album).. this SACD definitely deserves more attention - and praise!- than it gets.

An "8".

I’ll give it a “7”. This is a “nice” album. Very smooth. More even from start to finish than “Flag” but few memorable songs. No real clunkers though either. Makes for nice background music.

Sound quality is as good as all the other Taylor SACDs. A “10” for that. But the surround mix is very tame. Same basic philosophy Kunkel used on the others, which is a nice mix, but nothing here that stands out as was the case on the previous two and the rears need to be cranked WAY up.

Love this album, and while I agree it is a bit 'front-centric' it's really thoughtfully done. It was this album that opened my eyes (and ears) to how effective mixing the lead vocalist in the center speaker and the harmony vocalist in the phantom center using just the front left and front right speakers can be, as Nathaniel Kunkel does on Her Town Too, putting Taylor in the center speaker and JD Souther in the phantom center. When you're in the sweet spot the effect is really mesmerising, it feels like Taylor is physically standing in front of Souther and the rhythm section. I think that people who say 'the center channel doesn't belong in music' suffer from a lack of imagination the same way people who say a 3-piece band can't be effectively mixed in discrete surround - this album proves the former wrong, and stuff like the quad mixes of the self-titled Jeff Beck Group album and Beck, Bogert & Appice and Steven Wilson's 5.1 mix of Rush's A Farewell to Kings proves the latter wrong.

Back