HiRez Poll Steely Dan - EVERYTHING MUST GO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Steely Dan - EVERYTHING MUST GO

• Total voters
Don't stop there! Some of their best stuff is pre-Gaucho. I heartily recommend "The Royal Scam".

Don't think he's going to find Royal Scam on dvd audio anytime soon. If he does, maybe he can buy 2 and send one to me. :D

Don't think he's going to find Royal Scam on dvd audio anytime soon. If he does, maybe he can buy 2 and send one to me. :D

Yeah, I know. My point was that if he only gets the S.D. that's on DVDA, he'll be missing out on some of their best stuff.

• Angry
Reactions: GEK
Yeah, I know. My point was that if he only gets the S.D. that's on DVDA, he'll be missing out on some of their best stuff.

I have the Quad material on DTS-CD as well....Sorry to be so behind the times, but until this title came out, I knew nothing at all about this band.
Now I have 2 of the DVD-A (This one & Two Against Nature), one more on the way (Gaucho) as well as all 3 Donald Fagen DVD-A.

I have the Quad material on DTS-CD as well....Sorry to be so behind the times, but until this title came out, I knew nothing at all about this band.
Now I have 2 of the DVD-A (This one & Two Against Nature), one more on the way (Gaucho) as well as all 3 Donald Fagen DVD-A.

Don't feel bad. I was behind the times on Porcupine tree and I am having a blast catching up!

I grew up listening to Steely Dan in the early 70's and I have been hooked ever since. The 5.1 releases offer a whole new aspect into their music. Enjoy:smokin

A recent "catch up" disc I obtained, for $7 plus shipping. As others have stated, a crystal clear mix though a little predictable. I'm mainly a fan of the Dan's LP numbers 1-5 but this does contain some nicely written tunes on it, just wish Walter's jazz inflected rythmn chops were allowed to cut loose into something along the lines of the solo in The Boston Rag! (realizing there was much studio help back in those days) It will get occassional airplay.
And the taxi ride "extra" is a humourous addition.

The songs of Steely Dan are very sophisticated as usual. This is not Gaucho of course but this is the same Steely Dan. 5.1 mix is near to perfection. 9.

I've been a Dan fan since "Can't Buy a Thrill" but somehow never picked up a copy of either of their post-"Gaucho" albums.

Musically, I like this a lot more than I expected too. It's a nice synthesis of their earlier, sometimes funky songs and the high-gloss polish of "Aja" or "Gaucho."

The mix, as some others have commented, is conservative in that there is not a great deal of panning or jumping from speaker to speaker (Flaming Lips it ain't :)). Yet, it's very distinctively multi-channel -- and oh-so-clear and sparkly. I really like it.

A solid 9 by my reckoning :smokin:

Steely Dan-they can do no wrong when it comes to their music.I
really like this DVD-A a lot.

A "9".

its not quite "perfection and grace".. but it does put a big old "smile on my face".

right I'm off to chase the dragqueen! :smokin

oops! I meant dragon! :mad:@: :p

The booklet is mis-printed. The actual resolution is 192/24 in stereo. There is another Dan album that has wrong res. info on it, I think It's kamakiriad.

Just found this DVD-A for $4 used in Birmingham, AL! One of the best bargains I've ever found!
Will listen and post a review as soon as I can. :)

10 all the way. I prefer the music over Two Against Nature. Surprisingly, I hadn't visited this poll until today. Yet, I got this DVD-A the first day it was out (as usual.) Their usual perfectionism shines through. Steely Dan Confessions is a great bonus.

Steely+Dan+-+Everything+Must+Go+-+Sealed+-+DIGITAL+VERSATILE+DISC-550923.jpg

The cover was likely shot in front of the Going Out of Business Store, which has been going out for over 17 years. They're famous for selling off-brand electronics with "Sony guts." I used to call on these guys in Downtown Chicago. A trip.

10 all the way. I prefer the music over Two Against Nature. Surprisingly, I hadn't visited this poll until today. Yet, I got this DVD-A the first day it was out (as usual.) Their usual perfectionism shines through. Steely Dan Confessions is a great bonus.

Steely+Dan+-+Everything+Must+Go+-+Sealed+-+DIGITAL+VERSATILE+DISC-550923.jpg

The cover was likely shot in front of the Going Out of Business Store, which has been going out for over 17 years. They're famous for selling off-brand electronics with "Sony guts." I used to call on these guys in Downtown Chicago. A trip.

yes quite good on the content front, set standards which were to often not followed

I thought I was in the minority of those who prefer this album to Two Against Nature until reading comments here. You folks have good taste. :) Great tunes, production and mix. 10.

The cab driver is or was on HBO's taxi confessions, with people who get in and spill their guts to the driver who has 5 cams in the car, they sign off and the end of the ride and are told about it.

I met a guy from Berklee who had to deal with Donnie in his "Honorary Award"...and he said "NO COMMENT"...what a pity ...such great music...and such a .."wanker" to use a Brit word...

Back