HiRez Poll Chicago - CHICAGO (II) [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Chicago - CHICAGO (II)

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Everyone knows it as "Chicago II", but the real name of the release is just "Chicago"!

Chicago 2 Front.jpg

Chicago 2 Back.jpg

Last edited:
JonUrban said:
Everyone knows it as "Chicago II", but the real name of the release is just "Chicago"!​

Excellent music, excellent mix. My overall vote would be 9.5 because it lacks the outstandingness of such a beauty as GYBR but since decimals are not allowed i gave 10.
:)

If I only knew more people who appreciated the band, this would be one of my demo discs. But to those who like the band, they are certainly blown away when they hear it (as was I when I first did).

I was blown away by the sonics of the DVD-A version of this disc compared to the remaster redbook and especially ther original cd version. The mix is great, the songs are classics. A definite 10 in my book.

The overall quality of this disc is much better sounding than the origonal CD, and the surround mix is very good also. I rate it a 9.

Very nicely done! Wish I loved the music more, it still seems a tad erratic to me after all these years, but no denying the quality of the mix!

ED :)

Okay, I'm a bit behind the times here. Just picked this one up (along with "V") the other day (relatively cheap at Fry's--$15 or so, if i recall).

Great mix - very emmersive (sp?). This is a group whose music begs for the surround treatment. I've never been a huge fan of Chicago, outside of their hits (which I do love), but now I can't wait to grab some more of these - anyone know if Warner/Rhino has any more in the works??

V remains my fave Chicago album.

We'd all like to see more, but the fact remains that there is just very little coming out of the pipeline, with many titles delayed for so long it's hard not to be fatalistic about it all.

ED

As a massive Chicago fan, this disc is an absolute revelation sonically. The CD and LP were always marred by a weird muddiness and phase problems. I think Danny Seraphine's drumming comes out most improved in the new version, not only with sonics (drums sound like drums and not like cardboard boxes and trashcan lids) but also a lot of subtle nuances such as fills and cymbal work that were previously buried or inaudible in the mix. I also like the solo instruments being primarily in the center channel, it gives them a 'realness' that's really fun to hear. Having said that, I actually like the quad mix better for it's discreteness. There's a front-centric quality to the DVD-A mix that puts me off, it seems most of what's in the rears is either reverb or instruments mixed so low you can't even hear them. It might surprise you then when I still give it a 10 - the sonics just can't be beat!

Dave.

No vote - I don't own this. I recently acquired an old SQ Columbia Quad lp of this title, and while I no longer can properly decode it - I am enthralled by the sound of this lp in folded down stereo. I really enjoy the fact that on the SQ mix, the lead guitar track is is not faded in and out like on the original stereo - so you have about 5 minutes of Terry Kath filling in some of the tastiest licks I've ever heard.

Has anyone compared the old Quad mix to the newer surround mix?

Uncle Al said:
No vote - I don't own this. I recently acquired an old SQ Columbia Quad lp of this title, and while I no longer can properly decode it - I am enthralled by the sound of this lp in folded down stereo. I really enjoy the fact that on the SQ mix, the lead guitar track is is not faded in and out like on the original stereo - so you have about 5 minutes of Terry Kath filling in some of the tastiest licks I've ever heard.

Has anyone compared the old Quad mix to the newer surround mix?

I know for a fact that the guitar on "25 or 6 to 4" on the DVD-A doesn't have the extra guitar bits like on the sq or q8 version. I'm not really aware of any other tracks that had extra parts on the quad vs. the original stereo mix.

zabble said:
I know for a fact that the guitar on "25 or 6 to 4" on the DVD-A doesn't have the extra guitar bits like on the sq or q8 version. I'm not really aware of any other tracks that had extra parts on the quad vs. the original stereo mix.

On the other hand, the quad mix of "wishing you were here" found on both Chicago 7 (vii) and on the greatest hits (chicago 9 ix) is missing one acoustic guitar at the beginning of the song.

zabble said:

Rest easy - I forgot to mention the song "25 or 6 to 4" in my initial post. It was the song I was referring to.

JonUrban said:
Everyone knows it as "Chicago II", but the real name of the release is just "Chicago"!​

Yeah on their first release they called themselves Chicago Transit Authority if memorie serves me right.

I havent voted yet, but I wanted to post. I will vote, but I wanted to re-listen to this masterpiece. I grew up with an uncle that was a big Chicago fan and the minute I saw this was out I ordered it without hesitation. I truely enjoy every piece of music on this disk regardless of formatt. Very nastalgic for me. Anyway, I hesitate to vote without re-listening because I havent listened in a while and I want to be able to appreciate the multichannel aspect of the disk, but I will say that from a content standpoint it is a 10 for me.

I also have Chicago V, its very good, but not as good as this disk IMO.

Good clean sounding surround mix. The Chicago Horn Section shines well on this one.
I gave it an 8 and that was pushing the envelope though. The Chicago II as was metioned before by others is a better sounding disc. But if you like "Saturday In The Park" it is a great reason to add this one to your collection I guess. I think that was the main reason I bought this one, as I have the CD but never gave it a serious listen.

Sorry, I made a Boo-Boo , I was actually commenting on the Chicago V album. I should pay more attention at to where I am I guess !

I can't believe that this was recorded in 1968!!!! The sonics of this disk are nothing short of spectacular. The mixes are excellent, especially "Fancy Colours". I would highly recommend this disc to anyone who likes this style of music. As a side note, does anyone know how this DVD compares to the Columbia quad mix?

kumquad

Back