HiRez Poll Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Flaming Lips - YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
One of the most talked about DVD-A's, up for your comment (even though we've commented enough already), so just vote!.......(y) (n)

R-432927-1258613171.jpeg.jpg

R-432927-1258613094.jpeg.jpg

I had never heard anything by the Flaming Lips before. And thanks to all the talk of how great this was in surround on this forum, I bought it, and was blown totally away. The surround mix is one of my favorites. I definately gave it a 10.

One of the most experimental 5.1 mixes ( :banana: ) I have every song has a different style of Mix and it sounds and feels much better than the red book Stereo mix.
I love it because it fits with the bands style and approach to music.
i cant wait for the next 5.1 from them. :banana: :banana:

A TEN!!!!!! If I could, I would give it a 100.
This is most powerful & effective surround mix I have ever heard! And that includes everything from the Quad era. I like the music-even when it gets sappy. Just compare the surround and stereo tracks. Night & day. Same music but a totally different experience! This is what surround/quad should be. Aggressive and involving! If you don't like it; go back to stereo!

Another 10!!! The mix by Ellott Scheiner is the most intricate and experimental I have heard and fits the music perfectly. I had never heard a Flaming Lips album all the way through and I really bought this one because of all the hype but I sure am glad I did. A wonderful experience. And my cats love it too!!

I love the album, and I love the mix. A 10 for me on this one is not a question.

THe mix is amazing to me because it is "aggressive," but in a very apporopriate way. Even discs like "A Night At the Opera" (which I would rate at a 10, also) tend to use gimmicks at certain times in an inapporopriate way. On this disc, if there's something "circling overhead" ("gimmick" at its best), it's because it should be, not because it can.

great music, great mix a 5.1 demo disc, great packaging with CD, great extras with those wild dots,

Another 10 from me.

Everytime I play it I can't help bit think that this is what Multi-channel is all about. If this could be the future of the hi-rez formats then ....

"The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" :sun

Behind the times, as usual. Just got this last week. Spent a few days listening to the redbook disc (since I didn't have time to sit down with the 5.1 one), so I was somewhat familiar with the music. I was definitely grooving on it, that's for sure - this is my kind of music, and it definitely makes me want to seek out the rest of their work. Wayne Coyne is my new musical hero - a genius of Wilsonian proportions.

However, late last night, I finally popped in the 5.1 - oh WOW! Even all the praise on here did not prepare me for just how COOL this mix is! Probably helped that it was about 2am when I was listening, and I was already half-asleep. Wow, what a mind trip! :mad:@:

I really loved how the booklet features basically a play-by-play description of the mixes, giving you pointers on what to listen to. This is a band that obviously is REALLY proud of what they've achieved here, and rightfully so. The little "making of" documentary (which, ironically, doesn't really go at all into how the thing was "made") was pretty cool, as are all the extra videos, etc. This one trumps my previous favorite multichannel disc (of only a few weeks), the Polyphonic Spree. This is definitely the disc to demo for the unconverted.

I just got this and it is very good, the music isn't quite good enough to rate a 10 for me though. I give the surround mix a 10 and music an 8 for an vote of 9. This is my first album by The Flaming Lips and I will likely buy more. Having a CD for the auto is appreciated as well.

Chris

Pretty tough to give this one anything but a 10. The mix is simply incredible, with sonics to back it up. Impressive.

Gave it a 9 its up there with the Mystics.
(Question - seeings they release about the same time as the US presidentials - has this something to do with Bush)
From the other side of the world.
Regards
Bill

I sat down and listened to this disk for the first time tonight.

Wow! It's spectacular. I wish I would have picked it up sooner.

I have a feeling I'll be voting quite high. (I need to listen a few more times though before I vote).

Back