HiRez Poll Oldfield, Mike - TUBULAR BELLS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Mike Oldfield - TUBULAR BELLS

• Total voters
I got a copy today...

Wow.

I've never heard it like this before.

Oh. Oh. The read count on this thread is 1,666.

Agreed! Even though this was the very first major label Surround Sound SACD release, it still holds up today as one of the best sounding Pop/Rock SACDs.

Strongly recommended for Surround Sound fans who may not own it yet.

try the Amazon market place. Amazon.com has one for $89.98, and co.uk for £67.70. Still expensive but less than $300 !

Where did you get it? I've been meaning to get this for sometime but it's usually been around $35~$40 and now you can't get it new for under US$300!!

Damn it!

I traded a sealed copy of 'Sea Change' on SACD for it.

Now worth that much ?

Thank God I started the quest for surround titles when I did.

Yeah $89 is too much, I think I'd find a vinyl copy cheaper!!
Oh well, I found it on musicdirect for $29 but it's backordered - 17 copies backordered. I don't expect it'll come it, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

yes, it is a lot quad is an expensive hobby !, as far as vynyl goes it does pop up on ebay very regularly. There are SQ (very common) CD4 (rare but I did gt one) and UD-4 which I've never seen but check out ebay.

I picked up a mint copy for CDN$35 (taxes included) at the vinyl trade show in my hometown a couple week-ends ago. Very impressed, this is the best I've heard Tubular Bells although I haven't heard the new 2009 5.1 mix.

$35? An absolute steal. There was one vendor that had some SACD's, MOFI Gold CD's, etc., and I asked him if he had it and he said he though he left it at home as he wasn't sure how much interest there would be at a record fair. Anyway after chatting about how much it usually goes for online I saw it in the collection and lifted it up and it had a $35 sticker on it. He looked at me momentarily with dismay and said "well if you want it, that's the price I put on it...you've got yourself a deal". Paid immediately.

:)

Voted 8 for this. Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A sounded better but again this is the original.

Great disc! Wonderful vintage quad mix with terrific fidelity.

Long live Vivian Stanshall.

With all due respect, Viv Stanshall passed on March 5th 1995. Most assuredly, he lives in our hearts.
viv.jpg

Great disc! Wonderful vintage quad mix with terrific fidelity.

Long live Vivian Stanshall.

Viv Stanshall made a great album called "Sir Henry at Rawlinson End" it's comic genius.

Just pulled this one out. Hadn't listened to it (either in surround or stereo) in years. I had forgotten how amazing this one is. A fantastic discrete mix. Bringing the music from stereo to 5.1 actually does expose a little bit more of the musical imperfections that Mike has said always bothered him, but to me it's all part of this album's charm. Insane to think that he was only 19 years old when he recorded this.

If every 5.1 release was mixed this well, I'd be a very happy man. Lots of great discrete stuff happening in the rears, but never overbearing. I can't think of a single complaint on this one. The album is a defining moment in prog and the mix is exceptional. A perfect 10 from me. I'm baffled how anyone could have given it a 1 rating.

Just pulled this one out. Hadn't listened to it (either in surround or stereo) in years. I had forgotten how amazing this one is. A fantastic discrete mix. Bringing the music from stereo to 5.1 actually does expose a little bit more of the musical imperfections that Mike has said always bothered him, but to me it's all part of this album's charm. Insane to think that he was only 19 years old when he recorded this.

If every 5.1 release was mixed this well, I'd be a very happy man. Lots of great discrete stuff happening in the rears, but never overbearing. I can't think of a single complaint on this one. The album is a defining moment in prog and the mix is exceptional. A perfect 10 from me. I'm baffled how anyone could have given it a 1 rating.

4.0 I thought

I really like this album, though it's probably my least favorite of Mikey's 1st 3. I'm not sure whether I prefer this original version or the 2003 re-recording.
I'll have to compare closely sometime and try to decide!

Back