HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS

• Total voters
I recently played this DVD-A for a big FM fan. I forgot how great this disc is. Sure, we're all sick of the music, as it was played to death 25 years ago, but the creation of this disc should have won an award (maybe it did). The little trivia facts about each song, it's like visual liner notes as the tunes play. I voted '8', but I should have voted a '10'.

Here is another disc that makes it hard to believe someone voted a '1'!!! :eek: :eek:

JonUrban said:
I recently played this DVD-A for a big FM fan. I forgot how great this disc is. Sure, we're all sick of the music, as it was played to death 25 years ago, but the creation of this disc should have won an award (maybe it did). The little trivia facts about each song, it's like visual liner notes as the tunes play. I voted '8', but I should have voted a '10'.
I gave it a '9' because I believe it's very well done. Not perfect, but certainly worth having. I used your quote, Jon, because the "over played" aspect might figure into some thinking it's not worth having. The m-c mix makes the songs sound new to my ears AND it is such a well done album in all respects. I have to say, it DESERVES it's popularity, IMO.

I bought this thinking that I never wanted to hear these songs yet again. Well everything sounded so new in 5.1 on this disc. I have played it much more that I would have though. I have had other MC discs that have not been brough back to life with 5.1, this one has.

Great remix of a classic album, the only modern era Fleetwood I like. I give it a 9.

kumquad

I voted this disc an '8', but I should have given it a 10. I went back this weekend, in a "show off" mode, to demo DVD-A to some friends. They asked for this disc, so I put it on. I had not played it in a long time.

This is truely a great package. There is all kinds of extra crap on there, trivia, pictures, lyrics, just a super presentation. Sure, we're all sick of the music, we've heard it played for YEARS, but if all DVD-A's were authored like this one, with so much added value, it sure would be great.

If you are even the least bit interested in this album, grab this DVD-A while you can still get it.

Thanks Jon for the reminder on how good this DVD A really is - lot's of cool extras that I never even took the time to check out - the mix is quite good as well! On second review I would give it a 9 for sound and 10 for presentation.(y)

What an amazing album. Unfortunately I can only listen to this on Dolby Digital on my set up at the moment until I get a DVD-A player but this sounds fantastic. Have access to a DVD-A system so can't wait to give this a proper blast. Like the mix and the music is superb.

Definate 9/10 (y)

An album that I keep in for visitors. The only tracks that I like are the two by Christine Perfect. Don't Stop sounds pretty good, far better than on vinyl or CD.

Well, I gave it an 8.

Had I bought this two years ago or so, I would have scored it higher. So much has come out with a better mix that it is hard/unfair to rate.
I did not like the mix on "Say you will" and this one to me is slightly above average.
Don't get me wrong, it sounds better than it ever has. As Neil stated, "Maybe it was just played too much years ago." No excitement.

As for the extras, a 10. Lot's of goodies here. I am glad that I grabbed it before it was gone for good.:smokin

One of my all time favorite albums of all time. I can not think of a song that I don't enjoy listening too.

I have been playing this disc a heck of a lot recently after "rediscovering" it in the collection one rainy afternoon.
I had honestly forgotten just how great a job Ken Caillat did with this.
"Never Going Back Again" in particular is beautifully mixed - but I still cannot single out any one track as the whole thing is so well done.

Anyone who does not yet own this, get a copy NOW.

I just bought this (don't know why I waited so long) and it really is a great mix. I had to import it from the UK (the price I pay for waiting). Haven't voted yet, as it just came in the mail yesterday. No matter what I think, I always give at least two listens before voting. Plays fine on my main set-up, but for some reason I can't access the dvd-a portion on my computer (Powerdvd configured to default to the dvd-a).

Plays fine on my main set-up, but for some reason I can't access the dvd-a portion on my computer (Powerdvd configured to default to the dvd-a).

What version of PowerDVD?
There were versions of both this & WinDVD that were hacked to try & copy the hirez streams, with the predictableresult that all compromised MKB keys were instantly revoked.
As such, later builds of these apps will not play Audio_TS layers that were compromised by the hack.

These hackers are not our friends. The DVD-A spec was always based on revokable keys, as is both Blu Ray & HD DVD as well. Any AACS hacks will have the same effect.

There were versions of both this & WinDVD that were hacked to try & copy the hirez streams
As such, later builds of these apps will not play Audio_TS layers that were compromised by the hack.
[off topic] I had only heard of tools in combination with WinDVD to capture hirez wav's. Shortly after that, there were indeed reports of a WinDVD version that didn't seem to support DVD-Audio (I'm not sure when/if it came back).
These hackers are not our friends.
No not really, all they (try to) do is prove that an encryption system where the keys are given, so you can playback (= decrypt), can always be compromised. Seems to be some sort of challenge to some.[/offtopic]

Last edited:
The 5.1 mix was a big disappointment for me, from a tonality standpoint. I was expecting much more clarity.

The unexpected surprise is that the stereo mix is the best (digital) version that I've heard. Better than the 2CD remaster, the original US pressing, the 32xd Japan target, or the "Forever Music" Japan CD. It's still a bit dull, IMO, but responds well to just a smidgen of treble boost.

Too bad the 5.1 didn't sound as good as the stereo. The only other surround disc that I feel sounds better in stereo is Breezin'.

I have to disagree with Dob slightly. I find the 5.1 mix breathtaking especially on Never Going Back Again. The Stereo mix is superb, but I find that the surround mix reveals things that I missed originally Like the hand claps in I don't wanna know.

I do agree that both versions (ster & surroun) blow the new 2 cd version away. No comparison. I do however like the extra outtakes on that collection.

This disc and Sea change IMO are reference 5.1 mix's, and I was more impressed with Rumours since it was an older recording.

I couldn't believe all I was hearing when I played the disc. All the intricate Buckingham guitar parts and everything sounding so good. A very pleasant experience! (y)

Back