HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS

• Total voters
aalloca said:
The Stereo mix is superb, but I find that the surround mix reveals things that I missed originally Like the hand claps in I don't wanna know.

Fair enough...but do you agree that the stereo mix sounds better?

Allow me to pinpoint the moment on the album where I "gave up" on the 5.1 and decided to stick with the stereo. It's the most dramatic (and probably my favorite) moment: the buildup that bridges part 1 of "The Chain" with part 2.

On the stereo, the drums are very crisp, especially the last few snare hits just before the rest of the band rejoins the song. Definitely goosebump material. Now, on the 5.1, it sounds like Mick is tapping on a floor tom instead of a snare during the bass guitar section; but more importantly, those last few snare hits just don't have the "slam" that they do on the stereo. Actually, the whole band sounds a bit anemic when they rejoin, as opposed to the stereo, where the band is roaring. Granted, the kick drum is clearer and more prominent on the 5.1, but that doesn't make up for the overall lack of excitement.

Perhaps when I say that I think the stereo sounds better, I'm commenting more on the mix than on the tonality.

aalloca said:
I do agree that both versions (ster & surroun) blow the new 2 cd version away. No comparison.

It seems to me that the various remasters attempted to add treble without sounding harsh. If you want to quickly evaluate a Rumours remaster, crank up your hifi and listen (if you dare) to the hihat hits that start off You Make Loving Fun...on most versions, they're so harsh they'll make you flinch.

Probably the best overall version is (heh, was) the original US CD, but some tracks (such as Dreams) are mastered at a very low level, and are very dull. So, I'm grateful that I finally have a version that sounds good all the way through (even if it is stereo).

And listening again to the stereo mix today, I think I have to amend my previous statement about it needing a slight treble boost...the treble didn't seem lacking at all!

Probably the best overall version is (heh, was) the original US CD, but some tracks (such as Dreams) are mastered at a very low level, and are very dull. So, I'm grateful that I finally have a version that sounds good all the way through (even if it is stereo).

Funny you should say that. I have the original US CD, and I always thought it sounded a bit muddy.

Funny you should say that. I have the original US CD, and I always thought it sounded a bit muddy.

When you give your ears a chance to adjust (such as when you're listening to the entire CD), the dullness isn't bad. But once you compare to a properly mastered (EQed?) version, such as the DVD-A, there's no going back.

Before I acquired the DVD-A, I worked on my own remastering of the album, and I was amazed at how much Dreams, in particular, benefited from a sizeable treble boost. Of course, now that I have the DVD-A, I've abandoned that project.

There are numerous albums that might not strike you as particularly dull, but actually are dull (such as Who's Next), and you don't realize it because your brain/ears adjust to the sound.

The best quality surround recording I've ever had. I had to sell it for cash and got a ton of money for it. When I hear the surround mix, particularly on Never Goin Back, I heard instruments I'd never heard before and they gave me goosebumps. Part of it was the new instruments on this version, but when I went back to the vinyl, most of the other stuff was there, but buried. Surround really brought it out.. If I could only have 1 surround disc, it would be this.

I have to agree with Dob on this one. As BIG as this album is, and has been throughout my life, I still hope to put this disc on one day, sit in the sweet spot and finally "get" this mix and smile, but so far, I haven't. "Silver Springs" also throws me off course and I would have opted for some better video extras than simply an audio interview with the band. I give this a 6. While not nearly as uncomfortable to listen to as Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters SACD is in 5.1, it's down there along with Breezin' :(

While not nearly as uncomfortable to listen to as Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters SACD is in 5.1...

:eek: I hope you go to that poll and explain. Not that there is any right or wrong answer, but I love that disc and now I'm curious.

:eek: I hope you go to that poll and explain. Not that there is any right or wrong answer, but I love that disc and now I'm curious.
I do agree with Breezin' not being up to par (it sounds sooo flat and without presence or life :=P )...but Headhunters?

I also haven't been able to digest Rumours in MCH , and it was one of my favorites back then! Maybe overexposure...

I had put this in the for sale pile and decided to listen again. This time it sounded great, but what I didn't know was that the loudness button on my integrated amp was in. Once I corrected that, the same sound I did not care for came back. This DVD-A is bass shy. I have a great recording of this on vinyl and the bass problem here becomes obvious in comparison. My speakers are matched F/B and go down to 40 HZ so that is not the problem. Gave it a 5.

Easily one of my top 5 favorite DVD-Audio discs. I hadn't listened to the album for years prior to getting it on DVD-A and since then I've listened to it at least once a month. A solid 10 all around :phones

When this was released, I saw a TV interview with Mick Fleetwood who said: "if you haven't heard Rumours in surround sound, you haven't heard it."

One of the jewels in any 5.1 music collection. And a killer bonus track, not on CD or LP.

Linda

"You could be my silver spring, rainbow colors flashing." - Stevie Nicks

So Awesome!
Found this disc used at FYE for only $14.99!
Sounds incredible!!
What a lucky find!!! :)

This is a reference quality disc, bringing forth all that is good about hi rez stereo and surround. the vocals are amazingly 3-d and creamy, the bass is tight and tuneful, imaging is fantastic. I like both the surround mix and the stereo mix. Still a classic.

After all the recent posts on this one, I decided to give it a spin today and yeah, this is why I got into the whole DVD-audio thing...in fact, I recall that this was the first disc I got my hands on.

After all the recent posts on this one, I decided to give it a spin today and yeah, this is why I got into the whole DVD-audio thing...in fact, I recall that this was the first disc I got my hands on.

Me too! I heard this back in (I think) 2002 at my brother's place (in 5.1), and the rest is history...

I'm hoping that Japan will put this one out on SACD. Can't think of any reason why they won't.

I'm hoping that Japan will put this one out on SACD. Can't think of any reason why they won't.

Apart from the royalties rows (artists & management wanting to be paid for both mixes & labels not wanting to do this) that is.....
plus of course "nobody is interested....." (allegedly)

EDIT.
I just saw that somebody gave this a "1".
Why, in the name of all that is sacred?

I gave this classic a solid 8. A disc that gets frequent play on my system, I play Dreams for friends who never heard hi-rez surround before. Always leaves them and me smiling and never disappoints.

Back