HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS

• Total voters
In the mid to late 1970's if all you had was an AM radio and you were listening to Rock back then, they played the songs on "Rumours" every hour on the hour (which was great at first) until you got completely sick of not only the songs, but of the Band and the Band's drama. So in that light, I could see a 1 by one person to never forget what was. Also, musical tastes changed in the late 70s, like a few of us got into Punk Rock, so we would refer to bands like Fleetwood Mac as what was wrong with music. Other types of new music had to more or less stay underground for years because the music industry went for the easy buck and shut out other types of Bands that threatened those easy profits on the AM dial. At least those were our feelings at the time by some of us. That's why FM stations like KSAN we're so important here for alternative music and KSAN did play Fleetwood Mac often as well going back to the Peter Green years. KSAN even played whole albums of their's when they first came out along with much play for the great "Silver Springs" song that wasn't on the album at first.

But Today is a different world and time put's things into a different perspective. I did buy "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" when it was first released on record and CD. This DVD-Audio is a 10, must have for the mix and historical nature of it all. It's also a great Demo disc because the music is so familar to folks that one automatically hears the difference in Hi-Rez sound quality, whether you're playing Stereo or Surround.

I also saw them in concert many times around this period, so I have great memories as they we're a very good band. I like the record "Fleetwood Mac" a bit better as a personal favorite as that's the tour I first saw them on. I also saw them on their "Rumours" tour. "Rumours" was recorded here in the Bay Area at the Record Plant in Sausalito, California, so that element is reflected in the music and sound of this title to a large degree.

Then as now, I personally see both the "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" records as happy and somber bookends to each other. It would have been nice to have a DVD-Audio of "Fleetwood Mac" with the same fine quality mix. "Monday Morning" from "Fleetwood Mac" was released on a DVD-A sampler though:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ampler-Gallery-(with-scans)&p=98859#post98859

OQG you're right. For years I couldn't play these because we demo'ed endlessly with them:
Rumours
Crime of the Century
Dark Side of the Moon
Saturday Night Fever
Aja

I gave Rumours a 10. I enjoy listening to it again! Mick Fleetwood said that Silver Spring was excised from the LP at the last minute. He also said that it belongs as part of the album.

If "Monday Morning" was mixed for 5.1 likely the whole album was. My favorite copy of Fleetwood Mac is the Mofi 1/2 speed master. "World Turning" with incredible bass through 250W/ch and an MC cartridge. It's the fidelitiest!

Linda
When the Rain Washes You Clean, You'll Know

Old Quad G uy;132530 said:
In the mid to late 1970's if all you had was an AM radio and you were listening to Rock back then, they played the songs on "Rumours" every hour on the hour (which was great at first) until you got completely sick of not only the songs, but of the Band and the Band's drama. So in that light, I could see a 1 by one person to never forget what was. Also, musical tastes changed in the late 70s, like a few of us got into Punk Rock, so we would refer to bands like Fleetwood Mac as what was wrong with music. Other types of new music had to more or less stay underground for years because the music industry went for the easy buck and shut out other types of Bands that threatened those easy profits on the AM dial. At least those were our feelings at the time by some of us. That's why FM stations like KSAN we're so important here for alternative music and KSAN did play Fleetwood Mac often as well going back to the Peter Green years. KSAN even played whole albums of their's when they first came out along with much play for the great "Silver Springs" song that wasn't on the album at first.

But Today is a different world and time put's things into a different perspective. I did buy "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" when it was first released on record and CD. This DVD-Audio is a 10, must have for the mix and historical nature of it all. It's also a great Demo disc because the music is so familar to folks that one automatically hears the difference in Hi-Rez sound quality, whether you're playing Stereo or Surround.

I also saw them in concert many times around this period, so I have great memories as they we're a very good band. I like the record "Fleetwood Mac" a bit better as a personal favorite as that's the tour I first saw them on. I also saw them on their "Rumours" tour. "Rumours" was recorded here in the Bay Area at the Record Plant in Sausalito, California, so that element is reflected in the music and sound of this title to a large degree.

Then as now, I personally see both the "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" records as happy and somber bookends to each other. It would have been nice to have a DVD-Audio of "Fleetwood Mac" with the same fine quality mix. "Monday Morning" from "Fleetwood Mac" was released on a DVD-A sampler though:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ampler-Gallery-(with-scans)&p=98859#post98859

Funny, I turned off all the 'Rumours' tracks on the radio back in the day to prevent the play-to-death fate.

I never owned a copy until 10 years ago.

It worked. I have the 96.24 tracks on the cans right now as I type.

Great farging album... so well recorded.

Even though it was played ad nausem...
I still gave it a 10 becuase it as it should be.
I also have it as a 45 RPM 200 Gram Vinyl and it sounds great!

I would have preferred "Fleetwood Mac" to be on a DVD-A.
I know Rumours is a classic but so is it's predecessor.
Over My head, Rhiannon, Monday Morning... it would have been just as good if not better!
At least more so then the other one they put out...
Um... what was it called again? :)

(Say You Will!)

As I have mentioned in other threads, after years of looking for this one, I finally got the DVD-A at a decent price and in an almost new condition (no SACD for me , thanks).

This "Album" was one that I have been familiar with ever since it came out and one of the first LPs I ever bought-which I still have.
Yes, OVERplayed to the end of the world, etc etc. etc....

THE MIX;
The 5.1 is excellent, some songs incorporating many elements that were left out of the original stereo mix (for those who gripe that it is not the same, well, listen to the STEREO mix , or the LP!!!!), , which , in my opinion is a smart move because it is a bonus and makes you want to listen to again to an album that you were (too)familiar with.
The 5.1 mix is a great bubble and, although I did find some volume/level differences between songs (bass drum too prominent in "Dreams" for example), IIRC , the original LP was also like that.
Maybe some elements were there already, like a vibraphone(?) in "Dreams", but the extra guitars in "Never going back again" along with the gtr solo and the snare played with brushes add a whole new dimension to the experience.
The inclusion of "Silver Springs" throws a lot of people off since it "breaks up" the rhythm that we were all used to, but IMO, it works rather well once you get used to it and it's a very worthy song, quite enjoyable and standard Stevie (Barbara) Nicks fare.

The Authoring;
If only all of the mainstream DVD-As were like this!
Love the fact that it starts playing as soon as I pop it in my Oppo.
One thing though is that it took me all the way until "Oh Daddy" to find out that the "right/next" button was not to skip songs, but it's a photo gallery with LOTS of photos with some trivia thrown in.
Also, NO MUSIC ON THE MENUS, thanks!
The "Audio commentary" (which is basically the 5.1 mix sans vocals and features a photo gallery AGAIN with the multitrack instrument listing -mostly unreadable, but a nice touch nevertheless)is interesting, but the panning of the voices is...eclectic!

The booklet:
Well, this may be my only gripe, although most of the photos were included in the disc's gallery (except for the one of the guy smoking a doobe!..or did I miss it?) Why the hell could they not include the original spread that was featured in the LP's insert???come on, and it's not even in color, it was B&W!!!! oh well, I guess you can't have everything ("Where would you put it?" Thanks, Stephen)

Overall , this is a definite 10 and worth every penny. A MUST HAVE for Quad heads...

and now...

:smokin

It's about time i started to vote on everything i own. I'd give the music a 9 or 10, tempted to give 8 for the surround mix, but it's a 7 from me. I just feel the vocals aren't forward enough for me, ( sound like they're at the end of a tunnel, perhaps deliberately this way ? ) and because of this the instrumentation overwhelmes them.

........Overall , this is a definite 10 and worth every penny. A MUST HAVE for Quad heads...

and now...

Nice review kap'n. You are right, this disc is a showcase for what DVD-A could be, and could have been. With all of the bells and whistles, it's a shame the disc and format did not get the attention it deserved. There are a few WB DVD-A's that have tremendous extras, and this is one of them. Sadly, the Self-Titled album and Tusk never appeared.

The most negative thing I can say about this release is the music was so overplayed that it's not one you go back to alot at this time. How someone could vote a '1' for this title is a total joke (IMHO)

If YOU think this was overplayed, imagine selling hi-fi at retail when this hit. Dark Side, Saturday Night Fever, Aja and this got embedded in our brains. We replaced our demo copies every few weeks on these.

Hey All,

Can anyone who has both the DVD-A and the SACD please comment on the how they compare sonically? I have the SACD but have never heard the DVD-A.

Hey All,

Can anyone who has both the DVD-A and the SACD please comment on the how they compare sonically? I have the SACD but have never heard the DVD-A.

Have not heard the sacd-but the dvd audio version has commentary by Lindsay Buckingham, about each song. This album was torture and hell for FM. They went into the studio and stayed until it was completed. Can you imagine the tension? Who was doing who, (sexually) who was jealous, who was pissed off, they all were at each others throats, if you watch the dvd of them, (The Dance) you will hear mention of it. (Stevie Nicks was soooooo hot then!) See Caps post #68.

I remember when I bought my first DVD-A (the first one I owned was Bjork's 'Vespertine' but that was bought for me by mistake by the wife!), HMV in Norwich had a small section, and I do mean small, dedicated to the format. I saw 'Rumours' and so nearly picked it up and bought it, having been a lover of the album for many years. But then I saw Queen's 'A Night at the Opera' and my brain just went into auto pilot! ;)

Much to my shame, I never went back for it. Knowing what I know now, I should've bought the whole damned shelf up!

So, many years later, I found a copy on Amazon.de, willing to ship to the UK and I bit their hand off.

I have a special place in my life for the Mac. I still love Stevie as much as I ever did and would leave everything behind if she were to agree to marry me! #fact

Anyway, when this arrived, I'd been playing the 3 disc anniversary edition quite a bit and this just blew me away by comparison. The mix is subtle yet highly effective. It does the very thing I love about multi-channel music and that is to clearly define all the components in the mix. It's like realising your glasses have had some nasty smudges on them and you wipe them away and see far more clearly than you could've hoped.

In terms of content, it's peerless. In terms of delivery on the DVD-A format, it certainly was a benchmark, and as for the 5.1 mix, it's just reinvigorating.

A no brainer of a 10 from me.

I just pulled this disc out for the 1st time in a while[i'd forgotten just how good it is]......Don't stop sounds totally different with the vocals out front.[some of the tracks sound like they might've used different takes than were used on the original lp]

OK, back on thread...
(impending rant alert)

WHO THE HELL GIVES THIS DISC A "7" OR LESS????
Talk about brass cojones, vato!!!

-(whiny voice) "oh I didn't like the new mixes, or the way that they did not respect the old mix or include that extra song and threw off the whole sequence of the album"

and in a way, WHYYYYYY WOULD YOU SAY THAT? HONESTLY!!!!!

Well
1 and 2- listen to an LP rip and THEN you'll get the ORIGINAL MIX (does the DVD-A have the original mix on 96/24?? I've never bothered to look for it!)
3- It's called the "PROGRAM" button on your player, PROGRAM THE ORIGINAL ORDER OF THE SONGS!!!

Really????

This is one of the "Crown Jewels" of my collection(on top of being able to find it at a "decent price" and have a fellow QQer MAIL it to me!!), even if I've heard it hundreds of times, the new mixes are precisely what it needed...The authoring is great , the extra interviews, you get the WHOLE SHEBANG..I'd say that , if I'd known it was THIS GREAT , I'd have GLADLY paid the $100 USD it usually goes for earlier...
YES, it's ONE OF THOSE!!!

(end of rant)

OK, back on thread...
(impending rant alert)

-(whiny voice) "oh I didn't like the new mixes, or the way that they did not respect the old mix or include that extra song and threw off the whole sequence of the album"

Well
1 and 2- listen to an LP rip and THEN you'll get the ORIGINAL MIX (does the DVD-A have the original mix on 96/24?? I've never bothered to look for it!)
3- It's called the "PROGRAM" button on your player, PROGRAM THE ORIGINAL ORDER OF THE SONGS!!!

Really????

This is one of the "Crown Jewels" of my collection(on top of being able to find it at a "decent price" and have a fellow QQer MAIL it to me!!), even if I've heard it hundreds of times, the new mixes are precisely what it needed...The authoring is great , the extra interviews, you get the WHOLE SHEBANG..I'd say that , if I'd known it was THIS GREAT , I'd have GLADLY paid the $100 USD it usually goes for earlier...

(end of rant)
Total agreement! Rumours is a 10! I paid $40.00 for mine being too late in the game, well worth every cent, plus more!

OK, back on thread...
(impending rant alert)

Well

Really????

(end of rant)

Aaaa, do we have to get back on topic...
I loved this disc- the epitome of the perfect dvd-a imo: great 5.1 mix and awesome bonuses. BUT... I lent it to a friend for whom I had just set up his new 5.1 system, along w/ a few other surround discs and some dvd's w/ awesome soundtracks. When he returned them, Rumours wasn't there. I kept bugging him about it, but never got it back. Went to get a replacement and saw how ridiculously pricey they had become. Had I known what would happen to the price of this disc, it never would have left my house. What's that saying about no good deed goes unpunished? I really miss this disc, but no way am I paying the going rate- wish I could find one for $40 now...

Back