HiRez Poll Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS [DVD-A/SACD-JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of Fleetwood Mac - RUMOURS

• Total voters
Aaaa, do we have to get back on topic...
I loved this disc- the epitome of the perfect dvd-a imo: great 5.1 mix and awesome bonuses. BUT... I lent it to a friend for whom I had just set up his new 5.1 system, along w/ a few other surround discs and some dvd's w/ awesome soundtracks. When he returned them, Rumours wasn't there. I kept bugging him about it, but never got it back. Went to get a replacement and saw how ridiculously pricey they had become. Had I known what would happen to the price of this disc, it never would have left my house. What's that saying about no good deed goes unpunished? I really miss this disc, but no way am I paying the going rate- wish I could find one for $40 now...

some friend...jeez..!! :mad:@: you need more friends like me, I gave a spare copy of the Rumours DVDA to a friend a few years ago! :p

I can find you one any day of the week for Ā£40! ..but $40 not so easy! (still probably do-able but..).. $50 gets you one in average shape on Amazon US (there's several marketplace sellers with the Rumours DVDA @$49 there right now).

I'm playing this through properly for the first time now. Great sound, great mix! I'm enjoying hearing some stuff that's different to the stereo versions.

Now I feel nothing will be perfect when it comes to 5.1 releases, but I still had to give this a 10. It's not my favourite album of all time, but I enjoy it enough. The surround mix ticks all the boxes for me. Thoroughly emersive and cohesive, it fills the space that you're in, rather than sounding disconnected from front to rear. There's lots of stuff going on in the rears, but all so very well balanced. The whole thing just sticks together so well. The 5.1 mixes hold a few surprises compared to the stereo versions but rarely in a jarring way. The "making of" section is a fantastic bonus with session/instrumental stuff under the commentary mixed in 5.1 too. The commentary (voices, rather than the music) itself seems to be a fairly low quality recording, and the speaker placement for the vox odd at times, but I love this look into the album. The instrumental sections in two of the menus (again in 5.1) are a really nice touch too. The mix really seems to highlight Lindsey's playing and hard work, and we get some longer fades too. A release that goes above and beyond just delivering a 5.1 mix. On the down side: the bass seems a little absent on Don't Stop, and due to compatibility issues with my player and/or my amp, it sounds pretty bad on the DVD-A layer as I just can't get enough bass from it, so I have to play the DD version. Great release.

On the down side: the bass seems a little absent on Don't Stop, and due to compatibility issues with my player and/or my amp, it sounds pretty bad on the DVD-A layer as I just can't get enough bass from it, so I have to play the DD version. Great release.
Couldn't find your equipment info. Maybe a SW is necessary. Do you have one?

Perhaps some albums should have a notice: Warning: this album was sponsored by subwoofer manufacturers and includes factory non-defeatable bass-management.

Gave it 9 :banana:s out of 10 - One of my all time fave bands/albums and grew up listening to them - soon became a Lindsey Buckingham devotee.

Surprisingly the Album picked up for me about track 6 on, starting with Silver Springs and going on throughout...............the mix of You Make Loving Fun made me actually start to replay it because it was never one of my faves by FM. Maybe hearing Dreams, Don't Stop and Go Your Own way so many times Jaded me on the listening, but were still very nice. I enjoyed Lindsey's guitar stylings throughout and kept my ear open for any and all.

The noticeable addition of the guitar "solo" if you can call it that - which was not in the original Never Going Back Again was refreshing. The Chain and Gold Dust Woman were excellent and Songbird was like sitting in a Sauna after a nice day.

Found myself getting up off chair and saying to myself, "That was very Nice" :51banana:

I really like the sequence on the DVD-A. Silver Springs really fits.

I could think of a song or two they could have left off the original LP for Silver Springs. It would have been a hit back then and would have made the album THAT much better.

Agreed , But I figure it had to be one of those ..hey U got 3 songs on and I want 3 toooooooooooooooo. I mean Songbird & Oh Daddy are nice, but huh, but not in comparison to Silver Springs. Had to be a Hey Christine is senior member thing and Stevie was still a rookie..............or something.

Agreed , But I figure it had to be one of those ..hey U got 3 songs on and I want 3 toooooooooooooooo. I mean Songbird & Oh Daddy are nice, but huh, but not in comparison to Silver Springs. Had to be a Hey Christine is senior member thing and Stevie was still a rookie..............or something.

Okay! They could have left off the Stevie Nicks song "I Don't Want To Know" and used that as a "B" side. But they would have had to rearrange or edit the songs a bit to fit "Silver Springs" in.

Okay! They could have left off the Stevie Nicks song "I Don't Want To Know" and used that as a "B" side. But they would have had to rearrange or edit the songs a bit to fit "Silver Springs" in.

Lindsey Kind of made "I Dont Want to Know", Totally sounds like a Lindsey penned song..............but I found this fun fact about both "I dont Want to Know" and "Silver Springs" wow

I Don't Want to Know" was written by Stevie Nicks in 1974 before she joined Fleetwood Mac, and it was intended for a second album with her band Buckingham Nicks. The singer was initially unhappy about the decision to place the song on Rumours. The reason? It displaced another of Nicks' tunes, "Silver Springs," which she favored. The Fleetwood Mac frontwoman recalled in a 1991 BBC interview that when she asked Mick Fleetwood why "Silver Springs" was being removed, he replied: "There's a lot of reasons, but because basically it's just too long. And we think that there's another of your songs that's better, so that's what we want to do."

Nicks continued: "Before I started to get upset about 'Silver Springs,' I said, 'What other song?' And he said, 'A song called I Don't Want To Know.' And I said, 'But I don't want that song on this record.' And he said, 'Well, then don't sing it.' And then I started to scream bloody murder and probably said every horribly mean thing that you could possibly say to another human being, and walked back in the studio completely flipped out. I said, 'Well, I'm not gonna sing 'I Don't Want To Know.' I am one-fifth of this band.' And they said, ''You can either (a) take a hike or (b) you better go out there and sing 'I Don't Want To Know' or you're only gonna have two songs on the record.' And so, basically, with a gun to my head, I went out and sang 'I Don't Want To Know.' And they put Silver Springs on the back of 'Go Your Own Way.'"

No downmixing of movie soundtracks (DD, dts and their Blu-ray big brothers) makes sense. But DVD-Audio and SACD are music formats. They should downmix.

Of course the logical thing would be not to use the LFE channel for music at all.

Why should they downmix?
This should only ever happen if there is no dedicated stereo version, and the downmix parameters when they are set at authoring can be wildly varied too, which is another argument for not doing it at all.

I read it as proufo meaning downmixing the LFE content of SACDs & DVD-A's into the mains rather than surround downmixing to stereo but I'm sure they'll chip in in a bit :)

Why should they downmix?
This should only ever happen if there is no dedicated stereo version, and the downmix parameters when they are set at authoring can be wildly varied too, which is another argument for not doing it at all.
In the case of movies. You don't want LFEs going to your regular speakers.

I read it as proufo meaning downmixing the LFE content of SACDs & DVD-A's into the mains rather than surround downmixing to stereo but I'm sure they'll chip in in a bit :)

That would make sense - RPGA recommendation is LFE to -15 or less, depending on taste & mix - there have been some notable boo-boos with some content going exclusively to LFE, and in downmixed stereo ended up missing altogether.

Back